overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3257   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rickgordon (3845) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JUN 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2004 Rerate. Bottle cap says 7.10.06. Okay, I was a total newbie in Trappist beers when I sampled the WV12 a little more than a year ago. What will be my impression of this so called wonder, at this point? At first my nose senses pepper and apples. Next smell evolves plum or prune. Another sniff and there is plum or prune. Yet another smell, and I sense chocolate. Hehe.... Flavour: Aah...this is a big beer! Must sip it very slowly, in order to catch all the delicat flavours. It's more than full-bodied, has chocolatey undertones plus that feel of exotic fruits(mostly lemon), much more pronounced than in Maredsous 8, which happens to be my favourite Belgo this(!) far. The body is also a bit oily(like Nils Oscar Julöl 2003) and unbelievably pleasant to gargle around with in the palate. What a beer, the texture is amazing! From an intellectual(common sense) point of vies this beer is perfect. But when giving the points, there is always the personal liking that has to be considered. Therefore it's only a "17". I love it. But there are beers that I love better. Old rating gave 7/4/8/3/15. Nut brown color. Creamy off-white head. Fruity aroma with notes of vinegar, clove, raisins, dried fruit to name what I can interpret. My friend who got a sip from it claimed that "This tastes like shit!"...well, I can't agree but since I'm not a fan of Belgo beer my rating is indeed generous. I will rate it again of course...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dalle (1145) - Skørping, DENMARK - MAY 27, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2004 Beige head that diminishes too fast, but leaves a nice brussels lace. Dark brown body. Aroma is great; sweet/malty, raisins, over-ripe fruits, winey, rum (sweet+alcohol?), dough. Body is medium to full. Full of flavour; sweet, then spicy (some liquorice!?!), and a long slightly bitter plus dry finish with an alcoholic warmth. Complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Thisted (9) - Skarrild, DENMARK - MAY 26, 2003 does not count
The best ever trappist-beer. It has fruits, nuts and chocolate and a lot of warmth from the alcohol. It has a fantastic head and a beautiful color.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Caton (160) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 16, 2003
Very, very good, chocolate pudding nose, and slightly sweet smell, malty is the word, and smooth (especially for 10.8%), lots of fruit, and chocolate, but i think the alcohol does shine through in the finish. But a very good experience, distinct candy sugar flavour, as with the other 2 Westy beers.

Ednolb (17) - BELGIUM - MAY 15, 2003
This beer is hard to come by. But it's worth searching for it. This beer is simply incredible. Perfect appearance with a nice, slightly brown head. Complex taste with hints of port and raisins. The aroma is very sweet. Every time I drank of this beer it was an amazing exprecience, but at the same time I felt really sorry because I had less beer in my glass...

Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 12, 2003
This was the beer I picked to be beer 100.I had Trois Pistoles for number 99 which is a outstanding beer. Westy #12 is truly outstanding. A super complex beer with many flavors,(toffee,chocolate,raisins and even more).Ruby red in color with a huge white head. Extremely smooth for a 10.8%.The finish is stunning as it warms your every bone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (3091) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 11, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2005 Deep garnet red. So murky with haze as to be nearly opaque. Huge off-white head. A full quarter inch lasts until the end of the glass. Aroma is mild at first but becomes stronger with each sip--some grassy notes bread, plumbs, raisins. Slightly sweet front. Notes of brown sugar, molasses and dried fruits--an intensely complex combination of sweet flavors. Flavor changes dramatically as it moves across the tongue. Full round mouthfeel. Slightly sticky. Alcohol is slightly present in the aroma and finish but well hidden. Perfect carbonation. Candi sugar softness. The best beer ever? No. Delicious? Yes.

clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 10, 2003
The beer gods have smiled down upon this brewery. Absolutely the most satisfying beer that I have ever tasted. It pours a dark and murky brown with hints of red and an impressively large head that dies down quickly. The aroma reminded me of a barley wine with a lot of fruity scents and a hint of alcohol (I'm not a fan of Barley Wines, so I was hesitant). The flavor was incredibly complex. The flavor is so incredibly smooth that I was in shock (considering the aroma) I think I notice a hint of chocolate in the taste as well as some different fruits and a couple spices. The mouthfeel of this beer is extremely smooth and satisfying. I could drink this beer all night long - although I'd probably not last more than three because of the alcohol. Again, this is THE best beer I've ever had and I would recommend it to anyone regardless of the $8 per bottle price.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Shag (2646) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAY 9, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2006 Aroma is of pears, spices, and alcohol. Apperance is brown with a ruby tint. Flavor could best be summarized in a 12 page essay after no less than 20 different samplings, but considering the limited space I will do a brief summary....Chocolate covered raisins, darker fruit is present maybe plums or dates, caramel, and other things I cant pick apart very easily. Its like trying to pick out every single instrument in a symphony. It goes down smooth with an alcohol warming effect. This would be an excellent way to warm up on a cold night. Palate is spicy, fruit filled, and tingly. I’m a hophead by nature but for this style of beer, by god, you cant and wont go wrong. Go to whatever means to obtain this beer!

Eirikur (372) - hafnarfjordur, ICELAND - MAY 8, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2003 Very nice brew, I was actually a bit surprised to taste the hopps in the aftertaste, it was a surprised, I just wasnt excpecting it. I´m gonna order some of these soon from Belgium.