overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3352   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SlimJimDrinker (115) - Nørrebronx, DENMARK - FEB 25, 2004
A complex nasal pleasure of a fruitcocktail when it comes to aroma.. slightly yeasty..... Like a small series of fireworks that gently explodes in a wide array of tasty experiences leaving you only to guess what else this might doesnt misses... Superb beer in every way

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 18, 2004
Holy Shit. I'm tempted to leave the review at that but I guess I'll attempt to say more. First off I need to send a HUGE thanks out to my friend radiomgb for bringing this one along for me to taste as my 100th rating. Thanks Jeff - what a treat. So then the description - nothing new obviously. Beautiful rich brown beer with a complex melange of malt, bread, plums, brown sugar, raisin, etc etc etc. Smooth as sin with equally complex flavours - especially as it warms a little. Very dry finish with no alcohol anywhere except in the awesomely warming sensation it gives you. My partner - who isn't yet a full-fledged beer lover - tried a sip and said she'd be willing to shell out the big bucks for a case of this nectar - Orgasmic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 12, 2004
Chestnut brown hue. Nose is alcohol, dark bread and fruit. Frothy off white head. Sweet, delicious body. Brown sugar, candied plums, pears, cocoa, brandy, toffee, sex, licorice, more dark fruit, dates, raisons, banna split, full body, finishing like no other...Long and drawn out and oh so seductive. One of the best Ive ever tasted, oh my goodness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - FEB 5, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2004 What can I really say about this beer that hasn't been said. Very dark hue with almost no head at all on this bottle. Very complex with plums, fruits, maltiness in the middle, and a slightly dry and hopped finish. Ridiculously better as it warms up a bit. I could drink this all day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Terminus (3328) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - FEB 5, 2004
bottle-1999 vintage. right when i opened this one, i knew i was in for trouble. very little pop on the cap, meaning this one was dead. Very think palate-poured very viscous. flavros of plum, brown sugar and belgian sugar/malts. I NEED A FRESH SAMPLE!!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2004
My 100th rating, on my birthday, with a Westy 12. What a good day. Apperance is a murky dark ruby brown with a fair tan head. Aroma is sweet & malty with some nice hints of fruit, plum and pear, yet it's some what earthy with that nice Belgian yeasty smell. Flavor is just an awsome explosion of complex tastes. Fruity, phenolic flavors with a nice malt backbone and some excellent toffeeish things happening. Finish is great as the start. Alcohol warmth with a fizzy yet slighlty dry feel. Just fantastic, best Belgian by far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
desurfer (1246) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2004 I've been waiting for this for a long time, and finally got some thanks to The_Beer_God. I hope that the beer can live up to the hype and my anticipation of trying it. For starters, I love the humble, unlabeled bottle. Pours a deep ruby with a big rocky tan head. Aroma is not overpowering but very interesting. Yeast, pepper, wood, and raisins are there. Flavor is incredibly smooth, with little carbonation. The initial taste is peppery, then a sweetness comes on which finishes in a warm dryness in the back of the mouth. There is a distinct bread/yeast character. Wow, I just keep noticing more as I drink. After it's done, a hoppy bite develops. This is a very subtle and enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JAN 28, 2004
This is IT!! They make it so hard to get because there's not much and everyone who tries it wants more!! So much going on in that little bottle that is impossible to list! If you get some save it for your b'day or New Years Eve and be selfish!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Maibockaddict and I have been looking for this for so long. Pours dark brown in color. Big malty flavor. So good. Rich beer, complex. I enjoyed it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Last of 5 Trappist brews for me and Mkobes. This is my fourth overall bottle of Westy 12, the first since starting to rate. This one had a date on the cap of 29/09/03, so I think this may have expired. pours a murkey deep brown color with floaties and a perfect trappist head. Beautiful raisiny musty tobacco and stuff aroma. Big fruity malt flavor, with tobacco and raisins. Rich and satisfying. this one seals it. I am becomming a monk in a Trappist monastary. See all you ratebeerians later. I am gonzo!