overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3536   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
riordan93 (14) - USA - MAR 30, 2005
At long last, I came upon this famous brew. Fate conspired one day to bring this sacred beer to me...and, lo, I did keep it at a cool temperature until special occasions dictated a special beer. Although, it should be noted. This beer is its own special occasion. Beautiful but thin white head with some lacing on the glass. Smell was heavenly. Full-tasting and complex. I think, to be honest, I liked the Rochefort 10 over this one. But this is excellent. It is also very strong. My ears are flushed and radiating heat. Droplets of sweat are on my bald head..but, oh, this is divine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 28, 2005
Dark brown body with a thick light brown head. Aroma is malty with some fruit, yeast and alcohol. Taste is dry with lots of dark fruit and yeast. Finish has a light alcohol touch.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2005 Pours dark brown with a thick white head. Dry, fruity flavour with segments of raisin and fig. Bitter aftertaste. Some chocolate and nuts is present. A lovely beer that makes me wanna be a monk.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bockyhorsey (2626) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 24, 2005
Poured black color with a good head, dissipated to a cover over the top of beer. The aroma I detected in this one was of a brandy aroma which was alright. With the high alcohol content of this beer I was thinking before I tasted the beer, alcohol would be the flavor. Not the case, alcohol content wasn’t the dominate flavor in this beer. Smooth on the palate and an enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - MAR 24, 2005
A gift from the Bockyhorseys! THANKS!! Bottle poured dark brown with a heavy creamy head and lacing. Aroma is light smoke,malt, spice and just a touch of alcohol. The alcohol is well concealed. Flavor is rich and roasty,Caramel, spicy yeast. Awesome beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pilsnerrogge (2714) - Finspång, SWEDEN - MAR 21, 2005
Dark, reddish brown colour. Thick and creamy head. Chocolate and toffee aroma with a touch of dark rhum. Very mouth filling. More chocolate and toffee. Long bitter finish with loads of salty liquorice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AndersR (195) - Århus, DENMARK - MAR 19, 2005
Cocolate brown color with huge tan head. Loads of both sweet and bitter aromas with all from rasins, over nuts, fruits, citrus, port, malts. The flavor is complex as well. Its like a bomb going off in the mouth. Its more sweet than its little brother Abt 8, and should i say one negative thing about this beer that would be it: a bit too sweet for me sometimes. But else a very lovely beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 7, 2005
Lost on my way through Belgium one clear, crisp, late winter evening, hope almost shattered, I stumbled across an aging man on the side of a dirt road. Cloaked, meditating, he weilded a glowing chalice, and muttered in a language I do not speak, but understood to mean, “take this glowing chalice, and become one with our beer.” I was nearly blinded by a glowing pillow of froth, and holding the glass to my nose, it became enshrouded in rings of trees bearing plums, burgundy grapes, hop bushes sprouting vanilla, strands of pale vienna malt, rum barrels and butterscotch. In a haze, I tipped the chalice to my lips, and a sea of velvet washed away first the tongue, then mouth, throat, stretching through to the soul. Vaguely I recall the monk gazing gleefully through my enraptured eyes, swept away by the 12, the most sacred of numbers, the 12 gods of Westvleteren. When I awoke in their humble monastery, a tinge of sorrow overcame me, for I may never experience joy this deep again. But I soon realized that I was fortunate to have had this experience at all, and was ready to continue the journey... Thanks to Wolf for this rare brew, my 500th rating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mephisto (1284) - TAIWAN - MAR 6, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2005 draft. (just kidding, bottle) have to see what the fuss is all about. the aroma is somewhat subdued,but nice. the flavor, is indeed impressive. my bottle is rather young and i think some aging would probably make it even better. very nice indeed. ps. i might re-rate this after tasting some aged bottles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2008 An amazing beer, maybe this whole lack of sex thing is the key to being a brewMASTER. can not think of a beer that is better of any style, well ok maybe a few. Plums and blueberries ,cherries and raisins chocolate and vanilla dance in harmonious perfection. what could make a better evening except maybe a supermodel serving it to you in her bellybutton.