Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MullMan (1099) - New York, USA - APR 27, 2004
I was a skeptic after the abt 8, but now I'm reformed. rich bready pale tan head, some larger bubbles pushing through the surface. firm lacing all along the rim of my westy glass. very cloudy brown/yellow/gold color with thick yeast particles. fizzy mouthfeel, light strike of unique yeast, not so sweet. head has great staying power with peaks remaining. warming. . light vinuous and raisin nose. next, raisin bread nose!! warmer, dried apples nose and flavor. more sweetness arrives, but still extremely well balanced with mild malt and hop. alcohol plays off every flavor at the wide range of temperatures. lacing forms every time I grab the glass. now it's empty. Noooooo!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2004
Poured a murky dark brown color. Very thick looking brew with a thick tan head. Sweet fruit aroma, raisins, berries, apples. Same fruit taste present in the taste with a slightly nutty flavor. Slight alcohol burn. Very creamy mouthfeel. A most excellent experience

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1441) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - APR 23, 2004
Where to begin? Where to begin? When the "what makes you nervous on a label?" post came up I put this one down. Guessing that many if not most figured I was just being silly. No, I was actually intimidated. Not that I don't feel I know my beers, but when you stray from the overall opinion, not to mention the highly touted raters, you risk being ostracized. Been there, done that. At least I can say with conviction that I did indeed enjoy this. Rather incredible in so many aspects as has been noted in page after page of notes. But be it the lack of refinement of my pallet or ever continuing sinus problems, I did not get the awe inspiring complexity. What I did get is what had eluded me in other references, that being what "tobacco" means in flavor. I damn near felt that a Cohiba or even better Cuban cigar had been sent my way in liquid form. Throughout it became almost TOO much. At least it is extremely pleasant as there were the other flavors and sweetness of malt, etc. And I was sad as he glass neared being empty. Always a sign of a great beer when I stare at bottle and glass with sad puppy eyes whining so that some will reappear as I invert the bottle to let minuscule drops come ever slower so that I can pretend to be savoring the experience just a tad longer. And to make it all the more a holy experience, the bottle was sent as a gift from krisbierjaeger. THANK YOU, my friend. I will cherish the memory as I attempt to come into possession of another so as to see what will happen if I can manage to wait long enough to let it AGE.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
marcusm (56) - Remich, LUXEMBOURG - APR 19, 2004
One of my favourite beers of all time, best served cool, and clear. The beer is a dark auburn ale, with a good white head, a complex aroma from the head. The flavours start off powerfully malty balanced by Belgian hops(old, for preservative value) filling the palate with an explosion of flavour being followed by the lucious winey 'old beer' flavours lingering at the end. Don't drink too quickly or it'll pole-axe you with the first bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 14, 2004
Bottled. Fantastic beer. Nice smooth sweet malt flavor and smell all the way through. Alcohol was hidden very well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 10, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2006 Interesting stuff. Had this at Delilahs in Chicago Illinois. (interesting experience, read my review of the place in the places section) The beer poured a nice dark amber colour that did not seem to let too much light through. The head was thin and a tan colour. Left a good lacing on the glass that was slightly slimey and stuff. The nose is sweet yeasty and malty, slight hints of fruit, maybe some cherry but I couldnt exactally pull it out. The taste was initially sweet and warm, followed my yeast slightly and some cream. Very smooth and sexy taste. Brown suggar definately present in the aftertaste. Overall, this was a great beer that really shows how a good trappist can be.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 7, 2004
Pours a deep deep brown with a small off-white/beige head. The aroma is of brown sugar and dough, but not overly yeasty. The flavor is of the same: Brown sugar and bread and almost winey, but with a cookie overtone. It is pretty smooth on the palate. Not as much of a bite as a few other Quadruples have. Too bad I only have 1 bottle. I guess I'll need to trade to get some more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jutuahol (189) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - APR 6, 2004
Bottled @ Helsinki Beer Festival 2004
Dark brown, medium head with some lace. Caramel-like sweetness, notes of wine in aroma. Full and smooth body. Flavor is sweet, caramel-like, spicy, wine-like and has notes of alcohol. Excelent brew, although not as good as 8.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gazza (726) - Worcester, Worcestershire, ENGLAND - APR 5, 2004
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 It’s a close call what my favourite beer is, but this beauty comes very close and may indeed be it dependant on my mood. One recommendation, make sure you add some of the yeast, it gives the flavour an added dimension. A deep chestnut brown brew with a very enticing aroma of liquorice, hops, rich maltiness and a very complex fruitiness that’s hard to describe (for me!). The flavour, for me at least, is the perfect mix of strength, poise, and elegance. Full and malty yet not cloying. Hoppy and bitter yet not astringent. Fruity and complex yet not overpowering. I could go on. The alcohol is just about noticeable, but it hides it well like most Belgian beers, and the strong bitterness in the long finish balances the malty palate perfectly. A beer for the desert island and for life. So, religion does have it’s uses! (bottle at Botteltje, Oostende)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TBone (14785) - Pori, FINLAND - APR 4, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2005 Bottled (Helsinki Beer Festival 2004)
Dark brown. Murky hazy color, like "home beer". Very small brown head. Aroma is smooth and pleasant: prunes and yeast. Taste is very complex: prunes, raisins and yeast. Aftertaste has bitterness and alcoholic flavor. Warming, great beer and goes to my ranking #1 (9/4/8/5/18 4.4).
Re-rated, bottled
Dark ruby red, almost opaque. Huge steady tanned head, lace. This bottled had quite light aroma of yeast, plum and licorice. Palate is outstanding: balanced marriage of malts and hops. Wineous with fruits and licorice in the medium to full body. Bitter long aftertaste of hops, alcohol and licorice. I really would like to try a matured one! (7/5/10/5/19 4.6)