overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3359   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jfm (1724) - Holbæk, DENMARK - JUL 14, 2003
Beautiful brown color with a nice head. Taste is exceptionally great, complex, fruity, spicy, just excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3470) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JUL 10, 2003
As I'm approaching 100, I considered holding this off for the big event. But then I decided, nope, too cliche, let's drink this sucker. Fudgy brown color, with decent, beautifully creamy light tan head. The aroma is of grape must, and a touch of shampoo. Perfect palate. The taste, quite surprisingly, is nothing like the nose of the beer. I noted faint cherries, and silky chocolates. Although very, very nice, I didn't note quite the complexity or layering of flavors others have. But I can't complain about it's #1 ranking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
PeterHollander (20) - Hengelo, NETHERLANDS - JUL 6, 2003
Bottle. Complex beer, I let it ripen for three years before tasting. The head vanished almost instantly and a strong alcoholic, portlike smell entered my nose. The taste was mildly sweet and more like a good wine, very complex. The finish was a bit dry and acidic adding to the very wine-like character of this beer. Yummie.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (8499) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 5, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2014 Presents a soapy, floral nose containing notes of plums, ginger, grapes, and maple. Sticky sweet, medium bodied. Bubble-gun like flavor and sharp acidic tinge in the finish. I had it a number of times subsequently in Europe, and overall it didn’t do a lot to make me change my opinion or score. It still is a delicious, strong, heavy beer. Subsequent bottle sampled in Belgium in 2006 were much better, very flavorful, everything you could expect.

Fresh bottles at In de Verde in Westvleteren are hot, a bit thin, and too green. Scores are in the 3.5-3.8 range for young bottles.

Rerated scores for 1-2 year old bottles hold true: 4.5.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - JUL 4, 2003
7/5/03-My 40th Birthday present to myself! Deep brown with orange hues. A foamy beige head. Some sedimentation present. A rich complex aroma, reminds me of hazelnut liquer, port, caramel and toffee, delicious. A worthy elixer to hold the #1 position.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 1, 2003
Brown and opake. Highly carbonated for any beer. Head has a chocolate cream colour and is so thick it looks like ice cream in glass of cola. Tiny pearl string bubbles eminate from all over the glass. Some fruity aromas and wine like notes. Rich and creamy with a stable rich flavour profile. This is an extremely complex and balanced beer. Nearing perfection. Rich and malty brew. First some rich raisin and plumb notes reveal themselves then chocolate like flavours step in with a subdued balance hop bitterness. The initial sweetness and flavours linger on the palate like a silk lining for minutes. There are no sharp edges in this beer at all. It is all about malt and balance and imenseness. A slight drying effect, minute as it may can be detected. This is easily one of the best beer experiences I've ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Shaggy was kind enough to share this beer and Rochefort 10 with me after waiting weeks for delivery from Belgium...the wait seemed to take forever, but the giddiness and anticipation was almost as fun as drinking it. Dark with sediment, fruity, so sweet and complex. An excellent choice for this style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFGrind (1895) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 29, 2003
I've been keeping an eye out for this beer at local liquor stores and discovered bottles at Joe Canal's in Millville, NJ. This liquor store is more of a budmillercoors joint, with some speciality imports and micros. Cost was listed at &6.59 a bottle but wound up paying $2.19 thanks to the cashier ringing it up as a generic loose micro. So this beer is winning points already! I found the Westvleteren 12 has a dubbel style, heavy malt alcohol flavor, with a thin head and some floaties. Not an everyday beer, however I will try one again, hopefully for $2.19 a bottle!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BBB63 (6396) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Opened this to celebrate my #200 rating. Murky reddish/brown hue. Huge tan head and wonderful lacing. Medium to full-bodied. Sweet malty aroma with huge fruity hint of plum, raisin, strawberry. Slighty vinous on the nose. Sweet tasting with a note of toffee and mild spices, can note the alcohol but not overpowering. Warming and comforting beer. Mouthfeel wasn't creamy like I expected (seeing how creamy the head was), more oily, thin compared to other strong ales (but not to, say, a APA). Well I'm not sure if I'd say that this is the best beer on the planet (to each their own)...but it's still an outstanding trappist and world-class.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JMerritt (1871) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2003
I recently got engaged, and this is my first new beer sampled after that event. I figured, "What better to celebrate with than this?" This beer pours a dark red-brown color with a massive off-white head. Wonderful aroma: thick, yeasty, and gingerbready rounded out by ripened fruit (plums), grapes, and a slight hint of alcohol. Hearty flavor; musty, toffeeish, mildly alcoholic. A warming, comfy beer, and well deserving of a high score.