Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BIGC (29) - USA - MAR 8, 2004
at 9.99 for 11.2 fl oz, you might think it's expensive. i think 10 bucks is worth tasting a world best. 11-06-06 expiration date stamp on the cap. Beautiful brown black color with a lasting creamy head. Smelled wonderful and tasted even better. soft as a kiss with a bit of spice towards the end. good carbonation throughout and gets better than sex as it warms (almost). so creamy and smooth and sweet with a slight hop kick due to lack of aging perhaps. a must try before you die. enough said, i think i'll have another, does anyone have 10 bucks? oh , the 10.2 % alcohol is by far the best masked ever!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - MAR 6, 2004
3/6/04. Poured out of 330 mL bottle, obtained in trade with Evan Ochsner, 2/19/04. Bottle expiration 11/06/06. Pours a deep, dark, rich amber brown-- some red edges and even a hint of deep purple. Great, dark cream head that lingers in a thin, dense-but-rocky whisp very long; very, very good lacing. Looks stately and just excellent, but I expected a little darker brown, murkier body. This one looks a little young. Nose is rich and decadent-- cake, raisins, a hint of peppery heat, and a touch of vinous sourness and sharp vanilla pungency. Subtle chocolate notes, but I think this is still too young for that malt depth to be fully charged. First sip reveals what it's all about-- very full-bodied with dense, creamy texture. Peppery yeastiness and alcohol heat cannot be ignored, but it's balanced against a backdrop of swirling dark dried fruit and cake flavors. Feels absolutely divine in the mouth. I do feel that the flavors haven't really come into their own yet, as everything is a little too sharp. Finish is very elegant, even despite the apparent harshness of the beer in its relative youth, but is a little too peppery for me-- seems like the yeast. Also a touch of burnt malt flavors way in the back of the finish. Immediately warming in the throat and a little bit prickly. Tremendously long-lasting finish with bits of brown sugar and cake lending some of the big impressions. Mouth-watering and complex, it reveals new layers and just tickles, teases, and toys with your senses-- once you think you have it pegged, you find something new inside. Truly very good, very unique stuff, but I feel that the bottle I had needs to sit awhile to grow into a top 5 beer. The appearance and mouthfeel are already there, but sadly, it needs to round out its maltiness quite a bit. Still, a damn treat whenever I can get it.

TracyC (1) - West Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2004 does not count
Best beer in the world. Too bad it's so hard to find. So smooth you don't notice the high Alcohol content. Delicious and addictive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rastacouere (6162) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2004 Disclaimer, it is the first time I have this beer along with 6 other comparables, 5 of which are classified as ABTs and there's only one among the 6 that I've had before. Only one was not taken blind (ommegang three philosophers). So basically, I've taken the 5 following beers blind in the same session: rochefort 10 (only one I had before), westvleteren 12, st-bernardus 12, weyerbacher quad, gulden draak. All 5 were taken in a Chimay chalice A deep chocolate body with a fully diminishing off-white head, initially well-laced. Bottle-conditionned, with some beige sediments at the bottom. Aroma is a nice blend of vanilla and chocolate (black, brown and white), milkshakish, slightly vinous. It didn't grab me particularly, but seriously, let this warm and this becomes a tremendously complex malt offering. Full-bodied, creamy with a good carbonation. Taste is loaded with dark fruits: blackberries, plums, dates. It's a complex caramel cream with a chocolate syrup, no it's a cake, it's a pudding with a little alcohol bite. Very complex with a well-expressed yeastiness. Definitely the most complex of the ABTs. It's delicious for sure, but doesn't strike to me as the best beer in the world. It's the best balanced of the big dark ABT trappist styles to my liking, but it's not necessarily the most intense, although such a refined aftertaste is hard to match. Maybe I will rate it higher in a future tasting. It sure held the competition in a blind tasting, so I know this is pure world-class stuff, I'll have to get into deeper analysis eventually and will definitely enjoy doing so. By the way, this was a nice fit with the great quebeccer cheese Victor et Berthold, recommended by Simon_Patrice and provided by MartinT. Big cheers to Ciderguy and Hopsrus for each hooking me up with a westy 12.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
oli (108) - DENMARK - FEB 28, 2004
At last i got hold of a bottle.Been meaning to wait a couple of years before opening this one,but it kept calling out to me everyday this past month.So i opened it.. This is a beautiful beer.No doubt about it.It had a big head and a wonderful complex taste which really warmed my mouth and throat.I enjoyed this beer but it is not the best beer i have tasted by a long way.Maybe i should have waited a couple of years...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SlimJimDrinker (115) - Nørrebronx, DENMARK - FEB 25, 2004
A complex nasal pleasure of a fruitcocktail when it comes to aroma.. slightly yeasty..... Like a small series of fireworks that gently explodes in a wide array of tasty experiences leaving you only to guess what else this might doesnt misses... Superb beer in every way

beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 18, 2004
Holy Shit. I'm tempted to leave the review at that but I guess I'll attempt to say more. First off I need to send a HUGE thanks out to my friend radiomgb for bringing this one along for me to taste as my 100th rating. Thanks Jeff - what a treat. So then the deScription - nothing new obviously. Beautiful rich brown beer with a complex melange of malt, bread, plums, brown sugar, raisin, etc etc etc. Smooth as sin with equally complex flavours - especially as it warms a little. Very dry finish with no alcohol anywhere except in the awesomely warming sensation it gives you. My partner - who isn't yet a full-fledged beer lover - tried a sip and said she'd be willing to shell out the big bucks for a case of this nectar - Orgasmic.

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 12, 2004
Chestnut brown hue. Nose is alcohol, dark bread and fruit. Frothy off white head. Sweet, delicious body. Brown sugar, candied plums, pears, cocoa, brandy, toffee, sex, licorice, more dark fruit, dates, raisons, banna split, full body, finishing like no other...Long and drawn out and oh so seductive. One of the best Ive ever tasted, oh my goodness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - FEB 5, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2004 What can I really say about this beer that hasn't been said. Very dark hue with almost no head at all on this bottle. Very complex with plums, fruits, maltiness in the middle, and a slightly dry and hopped finish. Ridiculously better as it warms up a bit. I could drink this all day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Terminus (3409) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 5, 2004
bottle-1999 vintage. right when i opened this one, i knew i was in for trouble. very little pop on the cap, meaning this one was dead. Very think palate-poured very viscous. flavros of plum, brown sugar and belgian sugar/malts. I NEED A FRESH SAMPLE!!!!