overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3373   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Shaggy was kind enough to share this beer and Rochefort 10 with me after waiting weeks for delivery from Belgium...the wait seemed to take forever, but the giddiness and anticipation was almost as fun as drinking it. Dark with sediment, fruity, so sweet and complex. An excellent choice for this style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFGrind (1905) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 29, 2003
I've been keeping an eye out for this beer at local liquor stores and discovered bottles at Joe Canal's in Millville, NJ. This liquor store is more of a budmillercoors joint, with some speciality imports and micros. Cost was listed at &6.59 a bottle but wound up paying $2.19 thanks to the cashier ringing it up as a generic loose micro. So this beer is winning points already! I found the Westvleteren 12 has a dubbel style, heavy malt alcohol flavor, with a thin head and some floaties. Not an everyday beer, however I will try one again, hopefully for $2.19 a bottle!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BBB63 (6426) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Opened this to celebrate my #200 rating. Murky reddish/brown hue. Huge tan head and wonderful lacing. Medium to full-bodied. Sweet malty aroma with huge fruity hint of plum, raisin, strawberry. Slighty vinous on the nose. Sweet tasting with a note of toffee and mild spices, can note the alcohol but not overpowering. Warming and comforting beer. Mouthfeel wasn't creamy like I expected (seeing how creamy the head was), more oily, thin compared to other strong ales (but not to, say, a APA). Well I'm not sure if I'd say that this is the best beer on the planet (to each their own)...but it's still an outstanding trappist and world-class.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JMerritt (1887) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2003
I recently got engaged, and this is my first new beer sampled after that event. I figured, "What better to celebrate with than this?" This beer pours a dark red-brown color with a massive off-white head. Wonderful aroma: thick, yeasty, and gingerbready rounded out by ripened fruit (plums), grapes, and a slight hint of alcohol. Hearty flavor; musty, toffeeish, mildly alcoholic. A warming, comfy beer, and well deserving of a high score.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thedm (5063) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 3, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2005 OK, here goes my crack at the number one rated beer on ratebeer.com on June 3rd of 2003. I held a special party for this one. I invited 3 friends and Hotstuff to join me in a little Westy 12 sampling party. Two showed up and the third gets his sample tomorrow as well as 2 other co-workers. My Rating: This brew poured a medium head of fine to medium sized light brown bubbles and a cloudy yeasty semi opaque dark brown beautiful body. The aroma was its weakest point as it was only a sweet mild malt aroma. I would have expected a stronger more pleasant aroma for a higher rating. It has a very complex flavor of roasted notes as well as spices and the taste that a high alcohol content brings to a great brew. It had a tingly mouth feel in its finish as well as an alcohol taste. This is truly a brew to sip and enjoy as long as you can make it last because you certainly can’t get too many of these especially at $10 a bottle. This brew has to rate as one of the best beers available. It is truly a masterpiece! The high point of the tasting came from a younger gentleman who had never had a great beer before. He rated it as the best beer he had ever had. Who would have guessed! The low point of the evening was when the host offered up a couple of more beers after the Westy’s. Sorry to say, he had Miller lights in the fridge! Gag! The friends rated the brew as 8-3-10-4-16 and 6-5-9-5-19 per the RateBeer rating system. They did truly enjoy the brew and stated that it was probably the best beer they had ever had. Go figure!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hotstuff (4397) - Indiana, USA - JUN 3, 2003
I've been waiting for this brew and it was well worth the wait!!! Poured a large, invigorating long-lasting tan head with fine-small bubbles. There was good lacing on the sides of my glass. This brew had a cloudy brown body with yeast. It had a sweet aroma to it. I could definitely taste the alcohol in this brew and was it ever good!!! I think thedm enjoyed this brew just about as much as I did! What do you say thedm??

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rickgordon (3846) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JUN 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2004 Rerate. Bottle cap says 7.10.06. Okay, I was a total newbie in Trappist beers when I sampled the WV12 a little more than a year ago. What will be my impression of this so called wonder, at this point? At first my nose senses pepper and apples. Next smell evolves plum or prune. Another sniff and there is plum or prune. Yet another smell, and I sense chocolate. Hehe.... Flavour: Aah...this is a big beer! Must sip it very slowly, in order to catch all the delicat flavours. It's more than full-bodied, has chocolatey undertones plus that feel of exotic fruits(mostly lemon), much more pronounced than in Maredsous 8, which happens to be my favourite Belgo this(!) far. The body is also a bit oily(like Nils Oscar Julöl 2003) and unbelievably pleasant to gargle around with in the palate. What a beer, the texture is amazing! From an intellectual(common sense) point of vies this beer is perfect. But when giving the points, there is always the personal liking that has to be considered. Therefore it's only a "17". I love it. But there are beers that I love better. Old rating gave 7/4/8/3/15. Nut brown color. Creamy off-white head. Fruity aroma with notes of vinegar, clove, raisins, dried fruit to name what I can interpret. My friend who got a sip from it claimed that "This tastes like shit!"...well, I can't agree but since I'm not a fan of Belgo beer my rating is indeed generous. I will rate it again of course...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dalle (1145) - Skørping, DENMARK - MAY 27, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2004 Beige head that diminishes too fast, but leaves a nice brussels lace. Dark brown body. Aroma is great; sweet/malty, raisins, over-ripe fruits, winey, rum (sweet+alcohol?), dough. Body is medium to full. Full of flavour; sweet, then spicy (some liquorice!?!), and a long slightly bitter plus dry finish with an alcoholic warmth. Complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Thisted (9) - Skarrild, DENMARK - MAY 26, 2003 does not count
The best ever trappist-beer. It has fruits, nuts and chocolate and a lot of warmth from the alcohol. It has a fantastic head and a beautiful color.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Caton (160) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 16, 2003
Very, very good, chocolate pudding nose, and slightly sweet smell, malty is the word, and smooth (especially for 10.8%), lots of fruit, and chocolate, but i think the alcohol does shine through in the finish. But a very good experience, distinct candy sugar flavour, as with the other 2 Westy beers.