overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3286   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Very dark brown, with a thin but long lasting head. The small head might be due to the fact that it exploded all over my keyboard after I opened it. Aroma doesnít seem to be as strong as the 8. Alcohol is a little more pronounced too. Other than that, it seems to be pretty much the same beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2002
You know, part of me really wanted to dislike this, just to add some spice to the monotonous medly of raves and applause...but, I canít - this is just too damn good. Surprisingly different for such a consistently highly rated beer. Musky, fruity, and sweet. Picture some circa 1950ís homemade toffee wrapped in brown paper and tied with twine, mix it with dried fig and currant, now add some musty peaty ingredient from a dingy cellar and youíve got this beer. Lovely malt and wonderfully dark tone. Damn, this is good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jefyou (39) - Menlo Park, California, USA - DEC 4, 2002
I am not a beer expert but I am aficionado. To me this ale has a wonderful aroma. I guess it could be described as a cross between candy and a banana. The color is a dark brown on my desk but if you hold it up to a bright light it shines a auburn red with sediment floating in it. This beer tastes fantastic if you like the taste of monk beers. I do and I find this to be the best of the bunch. There is a little alcohol aftertaste but not too bad. Too bad the bottle is so small , I really enjoyed it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I paid $6.99 at Samís in Chicago.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Ah yes, finally I have tasted of the mythical westvleteren 12... dark purple submitting to a slight touch of crimson lingering at the bottom; gorgeous color... deep and rich. The aroma was of grape and nut, with a small plum note and some spice... the kind of spiciness you would expect from a great trappist ale... the flavor was more balanced than that of rochefort 10; wonderful vinous quality, slight floral, spice and grape flavor with small hints of chocolate, nut and coffee... not as overpowering as the rochefort, subtle and ever changing. it is fairly sweet with a great dry finish that just knocks you back... you can finally taste the hops that seemed to pop up every once in awhile throughout the tasting experience. Wonderful, wonderful brew... I am looking forward to trying the others that I am saving in my cellar. Try this one!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2003 (Best by 12/13/02) The beer poured well and produced a good thick and lasting head. The beer looks very eye-catching in my Burgundy glass. The nose is straightforward with a touch of candy sugar and spicy noble hops, perhaps Hallertau or Tettnang. The palate is creamy and sweet with a touch of noticeable alcohol. I taste fruit flavors that are subdued, light flavors of raisin, banana, and plum. However, I do get a strange off flavor that tastes similar to plastic that I do not find favorable. The finish is good long and sweet, but does show some alcohol. This is the fourth time that I have sampled this beer and feel it does not live up to its hype. The plastic quality has been there every time I have sampled this beer; so I do not think it’s a batch problem, but a brewing flaw. Westy 12 is a good beer, but not the best Trappist Ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 27, 2002
UPDATED: APR 10, 2003 Wow, what can I say, this beautiful elixir is just so full of flavors, I think I could drink one every month and find something new about it - beyond complex. I got a lot of malty chocolate, plum, wood, various spices including cinamon. The finish was lingering and continued to evolve. Now I understand.....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
rapkungen (19) - USA - NOV 27, 2002
One of the most outstanding beers in the world!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2003 Wow. There is so much to it, how does one begin to describe? Both the aroma and the flavors seemed to change every time. Chocolate, caramel, apple, pear, plum, and grape to name a few. This beer seems to be like art or enlightenment or something, each experience is different. Everyone notices something different. One person also experiences it differently each time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Scooby (50) - Maryland, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Took me forever to find this beer even while in Belgium. It was worth the search. I think all the other reviews here pretty much sum up the rest

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 24, 2002
Opaque chocolate brown w/ large, long-lasting, creamy head. Moderately malty, somewhat spicy nose w/ notes of toffee, vanilla, cookies, & nuts. Medium-Full bodied w/ moderate carbonation but also smooth & creamy. Flavour was quite complex: ever-so-slightly sour at first, then malty, nutty, cookielike, meaty, roasty, and spicy. Nice warm finish. I was a little dissapointed based on my expectations but this is still one damn fine beer.