overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3228   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
skortila (4631) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - SEP 3, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2014 Brilliant. What more can I say. :)
Rerate. This beer has a lot,. is very tasty but is certainly highly overrated. For the same money I can buy 3-4 Rocheforts 10, who are much better I think.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Pours out to a dark, almost purple color in the glass with minimal head. Taste is that of a spiced fruit. Very wine-like in character and finish. Reminiscent of brandy as well. Enjoyable, but my palate didn’t find it to be the best beer in the world. Thanks to VA Homebrewer for sending this my way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - SEP 1, 2002
Warming toffeish glow. Little head retention. Plumish and one of the finest pallates of any of the trappists. The best beer in the world? Nah, I like Rochefort better, but this is damn good. Not something I’d purchase regularly.

FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - SEP 1, 2002
So much has been said of this beer that when I finally found it, at the Ginger Man in NYC ($15 a bottle) I was sure I was going to be disappointed. How could a single beer live to such reputation? My doubts were erased as i took the first brandyish whiff.. It poured with a reasonably creamy head that left perfect lace. Color is dark ruby/brown. The taste is out of this world.. complex yet unified.. tastes like brandy, plummish and rummy, sort of like raisins, with an acidic, dryish finish. As it warms, chocolate and caramel become evident. AVB is barely noticeable, I couldn’t believe it was 10.2%. This is my first straight 5 across the board, and well deserved. I have never tasted anything like this.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2002
Re-Rate 08/30/02: I’ve had this bottle for about 18 months, and decided, I could not wait to re-rate it. The pour is a cloudy cherry like color, minial head, minimal lace. Nose is ’plummish’, sweet, malts, earthy, ’Heavenly’, is a term that comes to mind. Start sweet, the top light, the finish is ’wineish, lightly acidic, dry, abv warms the tummy, nice light hop bite. Ranks #1 on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
gbzia (195) - Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Along with the Rochefort 10, my other favorite. A different taste, but in the same class. These will age very well... I have a ’87 wating for the right time. Not easy to find, but worth the effort.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
scottyg (79) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - AUG 27, 2002
An excellent beer.... I still have trouble saying "this is the best beer in the world", but damn good beer....

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FastEddie (230) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 26, 2002
As I am rating this beer, sitting in front of my computer I have a bottle of it that I am drinking, obtained online from belgianshop. The use-by date on the cap is 23.04.05 and I’m thinking I’ll age my other bottles to see how they develop over time. Fantastic, perfect, sweet malty aroma. Color is a nice medium amber and the head has a nice nutty color to it as well. Flavor has a nice malt-hops balance with a little more to the hops side, and yet it seems as though the monks used almost mathematical precision to obtain this balance. Hidden within the balance one could imagine almost an infinite variety of flavor undertones, and this is a very neat effect. For this reason, I imagine that after aging, it will be quite incredible. Fine carbonation adds a nice tickle to the tongue, but slightly less than in the 8 (which I preferred a bit over the 12). At room temperature the flavor of alcohol is more present. This is an incredibly great ale, however, I do think that it is developing a somewhat legendary status due to the fact that it is made by trappist monks and it is pretty rare. It is really great stuff and I’m glad I bought it but I think I will still be satisfied drinking my favorite american microbrews most of the time instead, and for a lot less cash. If you’re really into belgian trappists though, this is definitely the one for you.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 21, 2002
As the number one beer, I had to see if it lived up to its name. I was not let down. The complexities of flavor that mow down yer taste buds in a relentless assault keeps you guessing as to what yer next sip might taste like. Litte spicy that time. Oh now that one was kinda fruity. Now that seemed a litte roasted. I swear i just tasted meat. No seriously. Excellent belgian that for ten bucks a bottle was worth every penny.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - AUG 21, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2004 Probably the most complex beer i've ever had. As I am only 60 beers into my experience I will no doubt rate this again. But this is the best belgian ive had yet. Figs are everywhere in this beer. In the aroma and the taste and finish. The taste begins like port, which port disgusts me, but it was soon replaced with figs and coffee, possibly some roasted flavors. But figs describes it best. Goes great with chocolate. As a rule Belgians go great with dessert. Not a beer to indulge excessively in. Also...the alcohol was hidden in a totally perfected execution of craftmanship. Worth 12 bucks a bottle? Worth every penny my friend paid for it.