overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3617   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Garrat (1326) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - JAN 14, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2005 From a bottle.Dark brown in colour,small head,a mass of dark fruit and thick warming malt flavours.I have had a few bottles over the last 3 years and have tried to like this and all I can say now is,I canít stand it,Itís not for me,maybe in years to come.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - JAN 12, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2005 Re-Rate 24/12/2005. Prev 9/4/8/4/16. Dark brown, opaque colored, little lasting beige head. Sweet, fruity, yeasty, spicy and caramel aroma. Strong licorice, also mild chocolate, roastiness and medium alcohol. Rich aroma, one could say. Full bodied. Strong licorice, fruits, banana, yeast in flavor. Aftertaste is extremely lasting with strong spices, yeast, licorice and alcohol, strong sweetness is present too. In previous rating this was too sweet brew, now after one year in closet has gone much better. Near perfect!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JAN 11, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2005 Oh, dear lord. A very good friend, not really a beer geek, who went with me to New beer. Stopped there today, and came right over. Here goes. Bottle poured brown with huge creamy head. Aroma is complex, carmel and roasted hops, dates, raisins. mmmhhh. Tasted flavors of rasins and malts, and oak, sweetness to the soul! I feel as though I am missing this, it is going down so fast, and there is such enjoyment. The finish is balanced, not to dry. Amazing. Only a true friend would grab the only one, and give it ot me. Scott rules! This was great.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
CampbellWilson (533) - SCOTLAND - JAN 11, 2005
Okay, this is verrrrry good, very complex. Aroma of everything - dried fruit, chocolate, smoke, oak, vanilla. I donít notice the alcohol like I did with Rochefort 10, even though Iím looking for it. Beautifully sensuous on the tongue. Fruity rounded finish. Loved it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2005
I was skeptical when I heard all of the ravings about this beer, but I got my hands on a bottle and it was absolutely amazing. It poured out a beautiful dark brown and smelled sweet right after opening. The taste was excellent. Delicious sweet taste with an excellent alcohol flavor. Simply amazing. I donít thing my palate is advanced enough to really describe what all of the flavors are, but speaking from a simple taste perspective. MMMM MMMMM. Those monks really know what they are doing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
kmpitz2 (21) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 8, 2005
Happy birthday to clvand0 with the drinking of this beer. Although it was a few days ago, I still canít get this one out of my head. The beer poured a beautiful dark brown color with a 2 finger head that barely falls at all. The lace is almost solid around the top of the chalice as I drank the beer down. The nose was very fruity, with lots of sweet fig tones, and an almost appley, crisp aroma. There is a nice spiceyness as it warms as well. The flavor is awesome. Very mellow, wtih a spiceyness and an alcohol burst that play very well together. The flavor moves into the fig, and slightly bready notes, but also with a touch bitter on the finish. The feel was smooth, slightly creamy and moderate to thick. Just a nice beer. I didnít want to put the glass down with this beer. This is definately a world class beer. Thanks to my buddy Sheep for trading this to me before I knew what a treat it was.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lululegrand (94) - gent, BELGIUM - JAN 8, 2005
Hazy dark brown beer with creamy foam. Complex nose of caramel, roasted malts, dry raisins and other dry fruit. Soft mouthfeel with touch of spices, candy sugar; malts and hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JAN 4, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2005 Bottle. Pours a deep ruby red/brown with lots of floaties. One finger head that fades into a bubble film. Nose is very sweet and strong of dried fruits. The first flavors to come out are prune, raisin, alcohol, earthy (clay), plum, figs, and brown sugar. Secondary flavors are apple/pear, dough, yeast, and salt. As it warms, the alcohol really comes out, esp. on the finish. This is a very, very good beer by anyoneís standards. But, it is not perfect. The alcohol is a little too upfront, as it detracts from some of the more subtle flavors in the beer. It is not as deep and multi-layered as I was hoping. But, in its defense, the bar for Westy 12 is very, very high.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Finally after 790 beers I got the opportunity to try the beer that has reigned supreme at #1 for who knows how long. And while it was a very tasty and delicious offering, i found that i have had far better in my opinion. Poured a murky reddish brown with a small white head, a fabulous aroma of grape, raisin, plum, sugar and chocolate. The flavor was impressive, and tasty, yet not as complex as i had hoped, with notes of raisin, earth, and some spice, a prominent alcohol taste in the finish as well. Good, and I will drink again, just not anytime soon at the price i paid

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
qdog (201) - Cleveland, Mississippi, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2005 Bottle thanks to wohlfs, average off white head, medium lacing, great aroma of fruit and alcohol, great taste of combination of citrus, alcohol, raisin, mild earthy tones, very smooth and slides off the palate with great aftertaste of alcohol and raisin. definitely good.