overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3309   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerGod (5435) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2006 Another powerful beer. This one had a dark brown to almost black color. The taste was very strong but not overwhelming in the alcohol department. The taste was reminescent of Chimay but with a much more noticeable anise taste. A lot of sediment in the bottle I had. This was VERY memorable and I can"t wait to enjoy another. Will rerate then when I have another to get a better taste. But this was definitely worth seeking out. Highly recommended. (9, 5, 10, 5, 19)

Re-rate. Bottle. Cap reads 27.11.06. Apparently, this has "expired". Muddy crimson/copper mix with only scattered froth on the surface. Nose is dark fruits (raisins, plums, figs), sweet malts, caramel, light toffee, and light alcohol. Taste is rich and sweet. Creamy malts, ripened dark fruits (black cherries and raisins), light alcohol, caramel, light spices, and light yeast notes. Body has thinned out a bit. Light-medium overall feel and not much carbonation left. Still rather creamy, though. Finishes with a touch more alcohol, sweet malts, caramel, light spices, rum soaked dark fruits and some port-like notes. Still very nice! (8, 4, 9, 4, 17).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bierkoning (10790) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - DEC 27, 2002
What a beer to drink on Christmas day! Best before 07-05. Overwhelming aroma of malt, cinnamon, plums and butter. Sweet and thick. Buttery with roasted malt, plums, licorice, some well-hidden alcohol, apple, raisin, porto, cinnamon and pepper. Amazingly complex and powerful, sweet and overwhelming, delicious beer. Without any doubt one of the best beers in the world.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
igneous1 (1507) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - DEC 26, 2002
color is deep orange/brown with a light beige head lasting very nicely indeed with some good lacing. aroma is perfumey with a little bit of alcohol present. ripe bing cherries, tiny bit of citrus, currant and melon are also present. also got a hint of new tire smell or nitrous gas at a dentist. flavor is a bit strong on the alcohol which diminishes quite nicely as it warms, but there are pleasant notes of peach there. ok, the comparison with abbaye des rocs...iíll take abbaye any day of the week and twice on sundays. ok, that may be a bit strong, but i do prefer it to westy. i chose this as #501 to be my starting point for the next 500!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 23, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2005 Had one shipped straight from Belgium. Not too much head as I was expecting, but everything else delivered. I donít think iím up to giving the flavor impressions yet, iíll need more of them. Extremely soothing, complex, and got me way more drunk than I expected.<P>Rerate of a 2001 edition - 4 years old, wow, mellow, complex, yummy shit. Still, I lack the words.<P>Rerate again of a 2002 one, with more time on my hands: Deep orange bourbon mahogany color, thick retentive head, light lacing. The nose shows complete circle of life here. The water yields the earth, which yields plants such as apricot, figs, grass, floral notes. The plants support animals that create honey. The honey supports other lives and so on. Very clean, pleasant, full bodied yet mellow on the palate and easy drinking. Finishes delicious. So herbacious and fantastic that still, even when I try, I want to spend more time with the beer than the notes. What can I say?

Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 22, 2002
This beer has been hyped more than any other, so when I saw it on the menu at the Sharp Edge in Pittsburgh, I decided to order it despite the $11 price tag and my ever shrinking bill fold after tasting many other fantastic brews. I must say that it was good, but definitely not worth the price. Deep brown colour with lots of sediment. Sweet apple/fruit aromas and flavours with hints of brown sugar. 12-9-02: My second westy 12 sampling. Nice red burgundy colour. Extreme vinous, black currant aroma. The flavour is smooth, but complex, sweet, yet bitter with a delicate elegance.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - DEC 21, 2002
This beer is different than any other Iíve tasted, and definitely in a good way. Cloudy, in fact chunky (from the yeast), red-amber color. Okay head with some lacing. Spicy, malty aroma with hints of dried fruit (cherries, raisins). Same flavor, very smooth, donít notice the alcohol. I have yet to try many of the high-end Belgians (Rochefort, etc., its so hard to justify spending $7+ on a beer), so I donít have much basis for comparison, but I thought this beer was definitely on a different level than anything else Iíve tried.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Great pour and consistency, muddish red appearance. The only thing that really got me down about this beer was the fact that there wasnít much creativity in hiding the alcohol and the warmer the beer got, the more the flavor wasnít apparent. Still an excellent brew, although I question its deservedness of the #1 rating.

NJBeerman013 (1052) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Two words.... OH WOW. Smooth, malty, spicy... everything a beer should be. Very dark in color. A bit of fruit, maybe plums or raisins. I always wondered where the monks derived their pleasure in life. I now know.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Good gosh! Like a silver plate full of the worldís finest fruits and chocolates--what more can I say? The first thing I noticed was the color. It was like no other beer, a cloudy burgundy? The taste was very complex with several sensations to examine at once....striking! I may trade in my current wardrobe for a brown robe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Delicious. What a great subtle, complex aroma. Unlike other Belgians (Orval, Chimay) Iíve tried lately, the flavor of this one actually delivers on the aromaís promise. Without a doubt, alcohol is present, but never hot--better concealed in my opinion that Rochefort. A lot of candy sweetness up front. Follows through with pear, a hint of stewed fruit, some creamy light chocolate and a lot of alcohol. Filmy head lasts throughout.