Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2004
My 100th rating, on my birthday, with a Westy 12. What a good day. Apperance is a murky dark ruby brown with a fair tan head. Aroma is sweet & malty with some nice hints of fruit, plum and pear, yet it's some what earthy with that nice Belgian yeasty smell. Flavor is just an awsome explosion of complex tastes. Fruity, phenolic flavors with a nice malt backbone and some excellent toffeeish things happening. Finish is great as the start. Alcohol warmth with a fizzy yet slighlty dry feel. Just fantastic, best Belgian by far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
desurfer (1262) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2004 I've been waiting for this for a long time, and finally got some thanks to The_Beer_God. I hope that the beer can live up to the hype and my anticipation of trying it. For starters, I love the humble, unlabeled bottle. Pours a deep ruby with a big rocky tan head. Aroma is not overpowering but very interesting. Yeast, pepper, wood, and raisins are there. Flavor is incredibly smooth, with little carbonation. The initial taste is peppery, then a sweetness comes on which finishes in a warm dryness in the back of the mouth. There is a distinct bread/yeast character. Wow, I just keep noticing more as I drink. After it's done, a hoppy bite develops. This is a very subtle and enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JAN 28, 2004
This is IT!! They make it so hard to get because there's not much and everyone who tries it wants more!! So much going on in that little bottle that is impossible to list! If you get some save it for your b'day or New Years Eve and be selfish!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Maibockaddict and I have been looking for this for so long. Pours dark brown in color. Big malty flavor. So good. Rich beer, complex. I enjoyed it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Last of 5 Trappist brews for me and Mkobes. This is my fourth overall bottle of Westy 12, the first since starting to rate. This one had a date on the cap of 29/09/03, so I think this may have expired. pours a murkey deep brown color with floaties and a perfect trappist head. Beautiful raisiny musty tobacco and stuff aroma. Big fruity malt flavor, with tobacco and raisins. Rich and satisfying. this one seals it. I am becomming a monk in a Trappist monastary. See all you ratebeerians later. I am gonzo!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 24, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2006 Plums, spices and molasses, brown sugar and some cocoa. Decent finish - slightly sweet, yet a good balance of bitterness. Many, many floaties. Medium carbonation. re-rate 2006: Yum, yum.. Boy, my opinion of this has changed. Originally only a 3.7, I’m raising it to a whopping 4.6. Very sweet, filled with vanilla, like a fine dessert. Woody, herbal and earthy. Not syrupy - in fact, nearly perfect.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
becksgenius (110) - Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Amazing, but nothing to write poetry about like some of the folks here. strong hints of plum, chocolate, licorice.....i am starting to wonder how they fit all this in that 11.2 oz bottle?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
notalush (5513) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 21, 2004
Dark amber/crimson, high carbonation, lots of floaties - aroma of port, cherries, yeast - flavors of aspartame, chocolate, dates, raisins - surprising hop character for a trappist ale - this is pretty tasty, but something seems out of balance - to me, this doesn't live up to the hype - I actually think the 8 is better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ace1317 (4) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 21, 2004 does not count
Lives up to expectations. Good appearance, and incredibly complex aroma and flavor. I prefer the 8 though, as the complexity is slightly masked by the high abv.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
WabashMan (1023) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JAN 3, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2004 Have you ever heard a pianist play a wonderful piece of music and they play it technically perfect but it just seems to lack emotion or soul? For me, that sums up this beer nicely. There's no question it's well made and really very good, so my comments are primarily directed toward this beer being "the best." It's very nice, but lacks some special quality to make it "the best" to me. Anyway, a nice dark burgundy color with lots of visible sediment and a somewhat thin light tan head start this highly anticipated brew. The nose is light with lots of rich fruits. I could swear there's a hint of chocolate raspberry truffles, as well as other fruits. The flavor of this beer is also quite nice! More dark fruits abound and a nicely balanced hop bitterness that begins subtly and ends magnificently as the beer fades into a vineous alcohol warmth. I can certainly see why so many believe this to be the best beer in the world, and it certainly ranks among my favorites, ESPECIALLY among Belgians, but it still seems there's something missing to match all the hype.