overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3078   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dunn4040 (124) - Georgia, USA - MAY 20, 2014
Bottle thanks to GTAEgeek. Pours a deep maroon with a one finger fizzy tannish head. The head is not as "fluffy" as most Trappist ales that I’ve had. Aroma is very complex. More in a subtle kind of way rather than being in your face. Cherry, wood, green apples, brown sugar, figs. Flavor envelopes your palate with a rush of rich flavors. Apple, dark fruits, figs, raisins, hints of chocolate, molasses. Palate is lively and prickly. Overall an excellent beer. Not sure if it is truly the best in the world, but it’s a great beer and a real experience. Definitely was # 1 on my beer bucket list. It’s really hard rating this beer without any bias whatsoever. I tried my best to be as partial as possible when giving my verdict.

AntoineGRD (39) - - MAY 20, 2014
La meilleure pour moi, arômes, texture et mousse... et sa rareté ajoute ce petit truc en plus.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
seynie (138) - Tienen, BELGIUM - MAY 17, 2014
Dark brown with a creamy top. Complex taste with dark chocolate, coffee beans, green apples, Irish coffee, cassonade graeffe. The finish is a bit sweeter with more sugar and some more acidity, very long finish. A lot of layers in this beer.

alkolas510 (567) - SWEDEN - MAY 16, 2014
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2014 Mörkbrun med litet vit skum. Jäst, frukt, russin och lite karamellmalt och alkohol i både doft och smak. Bra balans! God öl men överhyppad! 26.04.09 på kapsylen

ppils (124) - - MAY 16, 2014
Bottle. Pours a dark brown beer. Aroma is yeast, hoppy and a hint of coffee. Taste is coffee, caramel and sweet. A good beer.

RussianDragon (322) - - MAY 15, 2014
11.2 oz bottle. From notes taken at the St. Sixtus Abdij, June 7, 2007. This was a truly overwhelming experience, to have this beer (as well as the 8 and Blond) at the source. It ranks as one of the more memorable moments of my life, and I would encourage any and all to experience it for themselves. This beer was poured for me at the restaurant In de Vrede, in the shadow of the Abdij itself. The beer is a dark opaque brown with a lasting pillowy off-white head that left ample lacing. The aroma is simple but complex: malt and dark, sweet fruits. The flavor is truly something to behold, and words are difficult to come by to describe the perfection. Notes of caramel, malt, spice, slight chocolate all combine to form the perfect beer. As the beer warms, each sip is a new revelation. As often as I have tried to rate this beer, the right words do not avail themselves. I am reminded of the film "Contact" where the protagonist agonizes over the fact that they did not send a poet through the wormhole. This beer is something that must be experienced firsthand. My highest rating I can possibly offer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hadar77 (12) - - MAY 14, 2014
Ezt a sört szerintem nem kell bemutatni senkinek. Az igazi trappista. Erős, intenzív sörélmény, testes íz és finom, könnyed gyümölcsös illat. Mennyei

PilotLibrarian (8) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 12, 2014 does not count
Layers upon layers of flavour. Complexity that is unrivaled in anything I have consumed to date. Each sip offered a slightly different flavour as the beer warmed in the glass. Chocolate, banana, caramel - it was an excellent experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lachneger (273) - NETHERLANDS - MAY 12, 2014
Mooi donker troebel bruin bier. Koffiekleurige schuimkraag die snel verdwijnt. Smaak vol romige pruimen rozijnen en een vleugje witte wijn. Goed bier gedronken met Bryan

Splitenz (329) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAY 12, 2014
I don’t really feel I can say as much about this as I would like. I simply feel underqualified. I thought this was completely wonderful. I drank it in Bruxelles and spent a long time trying to come to terms with what it is. I came short. Good, we need some mysteries in life.