overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3408   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaltOMeal (1092) - Land of Sugar, Texas, USA - FEB 11, 2008
330 ml bottle thanks to Papsoe. Iíve been holding on to this a few months and finally opened it when my son came to town. Pours a dark brown with a thin off-white head which maintained a little around the edge to produce great lacing. Smell had a great malt with caramel and raisins. Taste was the same flavors and the mouthfeel was medium and very smooth. No bitterness. Great Belgian brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Naka (717) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 11, 2008
(2004) Shared w/ exec board courtesy of Nate. Dark amber color with a bit of an off-white head. A dark rich malt nose with yeast, vanilla, and dark fruit. Taste is figuratively like bacon wrapped butter. Caramel sweetness with bitter plums and figs. Amazingly deep and complex, yet very mild. Pretty huge for sharing these, Nate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BlackDonald (1126) - Gulf Shores, Alabama, USA - FEB 10, 2008
I found the flavors of this to be absolutely haunting and mysterious. Immense flavors of dark fruit and spice, candied apples and caramel, with some beautiful clove, and cookie dough, almost like drinking a piece of carrot cake. I feel so lucky to have gotten to try this very rare Belgian.

bartsels (1) - Messelbroek, BELGIUM - FEB 10, 2008 does not count
rare to find, hard to get dark chocolate brown color This is a fantastic brew fact that this beer is unfiltered makes it even more tasteful. For those who havenít tasted it yet, I still own 42 bottles of it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
matt7215 (2265) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 9, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2010 330 ml bottle from my secret festivus box. pours dark brown/maroon with a small off white head. complex aromas of dark fruit, yeast, spice, all great belgian aromas in this one. flavours are big dark fruit with noticable malty sweetness, yeasty, chewy, doughy, complex belgian, yum. most palatable, flavourful beer ive ever had. truly great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BlackForestCO (978) - Aurora, Colorado, USA - FEB 8, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2008 Ok...I was over at Croslingís for a tasting, and we had drank most of the beers brought for that. We were looking through some stuff in his cellar, and I have to talk him out of opening a Kentucky Breakfast Stout, I tell him I have one that we can drink, and we should try something I donít have. As I am messing around by the beers, he pulls something out and pops it before I even know what it is. What is it? A damn Westy 12...Wow, thanks man.

Poured a deep brown-amber color with a moderate beige head that eventually settles to a ring. Sweet, fruity figs, brown sugar, and yeastiness on the aroma. Sweet, malty entry with undertones of fig and other dark fruits (plum) that leads into a yeasty, dry finish. Smooth, full mouthfeel. Really an excellent beer. Thanks again Nick, I will make up for it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hembryggaren (45) - ÷rebro, SWEDEN - FEB 8, 2008
I really donít know why, but I thinking "candy store" when I smell this beer. And I donít like too much fruity smells on teh same time. Itís a really god beer but I didnít wanted another after a glass.

Firewalker (1) - BELGIUM - FEB 8, 2008 does not count
When tasting and smelling this bear youíll get the same experience as when tasting wine. The complexity of the flavours and taste is just great. The fact that this beer is unfiltered makes it even more tasteful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
killedge (26) - Miami, Florida, USA - FEB 7, 2008
great smooth fruity carmely aroma... dark chocolate brown color.... great overall taste... this is truly a beer you could give to anyone and they would not be able to find anything wrong with it....glad I had a chance to have it

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
santos999 (318) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 7, 2008
Big up to Nate for sharing this one. Strong caramel nose, with loads of complexity. Raspberry, chocolate, prunes, dates, figs and raisins to name a few. Beautiful burgundy with a rich tan head. Super sweet and complex flavor, with hints of dough, cake, and dark fruits (prunes, dates, cherries). Very creamy and full, just a tad cloying. World class for sure, but tends to be over-hyped a bit. Is it the limited availability that gives this one its huge reputation? Or is it the taste? This is a fantastic brew, but not the best coming out of Belgium. Give it 5 years in the cellar.