overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3259   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUL 13, 2007
A truly remarkable beer and the best I have ever tried. The color is a rich reddish amber-brown with a thick, creamy, rocky, tight-nit, beige head. Head duration is nearly fully lasting with Belgian lacing. Malt is the dominate aroma with bread, toffee, and a hint of roast. In the background are sublte hints of orange, pear, cherries, dates, a touch of smoke, and a bit yeasty. The flavor is a symphony of tastes. Sweet malt greets the palate but is tempered with the hop bitterness and a slight touch of fruit. The finish leaves a hovering of maltiness on the palate that gently fades away. I highly recommend that everyone try this at least once. Without a doubt this is the best and worth the wait until I got to my 1000 rating.

jacobwennbom (353) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - JUL 12, 2007
Dark, unclear with thin off white head. Sweet, very full and loads of complex fruit and dark berries. The alcohol provides a warming sensation and as you all know this is a superb beer. However, I did expect to be even more overwhelmed than I was. Almost lives up to the hype (I mean, itís great but Iíve had other beers just as great before).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
KingpinIPA (841) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 9, 2007
Dark brown color. Smell of malt, rasins, hints of coco, prunes, spice, wood and alcolhol. Tastes the same but minus the chocolate. Alcohol is more present in the taste. Great beer but I cant beleive its rated so high. Thanks Brewblackhole!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dezzilu (226) - Whitmore Lake, Michigan, USA - JUL 9, 2007
So, to be honest, I have sat at 99 beers rated for the last three weeks almost entirely in part because I havenít known which beer I could, should, or would rate for my historic 100th beer. As trivial as this may sound, it has played on my mind quite a bit. First off I thought, pick the beer that you first drank and loved as a teenager. Then I proceeded to, pick the most Canadian beer (me being Canadian and all). Then I moved to the thinking, "this is ridiculous, pick any beer you get your hands". Then, nothing. As such, I have been sitting on the verge of the 100 beer club since early June (almost 1 month ago). Enter my backyard neighbour, a fun-loving American chap with a Belgian wife, whom I just got to know over the last few weeks when we have shared a couple of wheat beers, and a couple of whites. Well, low and behold to my shocking surprise, Jim pipes up and tells me that he has 2 bottles of Westvleteren 12 sitting at his apartment waiting for a special occasion. I told him, "Jim, I am told the day you open a Westvleteren 12 is the special occasion. Everything else is trivial". Blah, blah, blah, the sappy story ends with Jim cracking open the beers and passing me the glass. The rest is history, just as people describe. This is truly the most unbelievable beer I have ever tasted, and makes me want to re-rate the last 99 beers and knock them down a point or two. How in the names of all things holy did these monks pack 10.2% alcohol into this beer? If you are lucky enough to drink it, then you will know what I am talking about. Jim, my neighbour and friend, bottoms up. You the man. Cheers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
tfraser01 (1) - USA - JUL 9, 2007 does not count
I recently visited the abbey in Belgium... and got to have many of these served straight from the source. The beer was amazing the smell of cider, refreshing taste and aroma with no after taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Guerde (1192) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUL 7, 2007
(bottle, thanks Olso!) Poured a dark plum color with a small white head. Aroma was sweet, and smelled like honey butter spread over toast. The flavor contained honey sweetness and no bitterness at all. The mouthfeel of this beer was amazing, and the finish was remarkably smooth. Just a great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sthlm (1235) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 7, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2007 [Bottle] Pours reddish-brown with a medium light-tan head. Initially this is very sweet, but there is a lot going on with it--I wish I could identify all the flavors, but unfortunately I canít. What I do know is that the mouthfeel is simply amazing, Iíve never tasted any beer with this consistency before. It is super smooth, in fact it is by far the smoothest beer that I have ever had. Along with that, it is quite thick. Beautiful beer. Old Rating: 9/4/10/5/19=4.7
Re-Rate: Got some grape in the taste this time, and pepper in the finish. Still amazingly smooth, but overall not quite as good as last time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mugabe (258) - SWEDEN - JUL 4, 2007
Pours an opaque plum ruby, thin head. Fruity plum aroma with some alcohol. An explosion of flavours: dark fruits, caramel, raisin, spice. Warm, sweet finish with creamy chocolate and some coffee. Words cannot do this brew justice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kirill (277) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 3, 2007
beautiful tan, almost black appearance, i wouldíve wished just a fluffier bigger head though... aroma of coffee and caramel... when i took the first sip i was completely overwhelmed - a texture so soft that i have never felt anything even close to in a beer... once against coffee and slight hints of caramel with a distinct saltiness that adds to the texture... really distinct palate is expanded as the taste wears off and a bitterness comes through at the end... nothing short of amazing

JayNW (12) - Crewe, ENGLAND - JUL 2, 2007
My favourite beer! Iím not going to describe this beer at all. What I am going to say will make you sick though... I have drunk around 400 bottles of this beer. I am not bored of it yet. I have visited the St.Sixtus abbey reasonably regularly since 2000 and would recommend a beer pilgrimage to anyone who wants to try it. The town of Poperinge is only a coupld of minutes away with good accomodation and food. Noel Cuveliers beere shoppe is only 10 minute drive from here and many great beers can be found there for very cheap prices. Noel speaks excellent English and knows all of the +250 beers very well. He also brews excellent beer of his own.