overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3636   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dogfish120love (1117) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 12, 2008
Thanks to BelgianBeerGal. Poured a darkish murky brown. Nowhere near black though, like I see in many of the ratings. The aroma had a very noticeable boozy scent, apples, raisins, prunes. The flavor definitely head a bread like reseamblance, with a boozy taste and of course notes of dark fruits, plums, figs etc. The finish didnt seem to last long. The more I drank it the more I fell in love with it. Best beer, maybe not, but great beer... definitely. It is hard to rate beers within this style with such good competition.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RIXbeer (102) - USA - NOV 28, 2008
An extra from an awesome trade with deepsouth! Brown label-less bottle. Like all Westvleteren all information is on the cap. Trappist Westvleteren, "bevat gerstemout", bier, 12 circled,bier, 10% vol... I really do believe that "God’s Brewers" should be added somewhere. Brown with hints of dark cherry in color with light carb bubbles and a 1/3" head that fades to 1/4". Head is cream white. Looks like a thicker cider. Smells of raisins, caramel and slightly sweet. Spicy alcohol fill the end of the inhale. Suede Mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. The spicy character hides the malt nicely. Pretty sweet like with a nice warming from the ever present alcohol. Lingering spiciness and dry fruit flavors. Very creamy mouthfeel, very smooth. O the big flaw is how smooth this beer is. Hell I didn’t want to wait for it to warm up a little. This has been the most impatient I’ve been with a beer. Waiting this glass to warm as I drank it made me agitated. I wanted to keep drinking this amazing beer. To to drinkable. I wish I could buy a 6 pack of Westy 12’s at ANY store. My hats of to the monks of Trappist Westvleteren

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kappldav123 (5846) - GERMANY - NOV 28, 2008
Finally I have this legendary beer in my glass. The bottle looks really good, no label - which brewery can do that? Dark in the glass, almost black, nice head. Starts strong and malty, modest sweetness. Notes of wood and a bit liquorice. Not as strong as exspected, very drinkable for its strength. Warming finish. Really great beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Travlr (21166) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Deep brown color. Strong lacy tan head. Malty, nutty aroma. Full mouth. Complex malty, vinuous, nutty flavor with hints of dates, raisins and dark cherries. Amazing complexity grows with each year of storage. I’ve tasted brews aged up to 8 years, with amazing results. Also tasted in a Westvletern-flavoured ice cream, believe it or no, at the monastery tap. In a class of its own.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jonte (1413) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - NOV 26, 2008
Bottle. Brown colour with a lasting beige head. Aroma: Sweet toasted malt, apples, dark fruit, yeast, alcohol, spices, bread. Flavor: Sweet, a bit toasted, figs, spices, apples, caramel, raisins, alcohol. A bit of roastiness and bitterness in the finish. Full bodied.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - NOV 21, 2008
330 cl bottle shared with my brother, Buffalohead, and my nephew on 11/2/2008. Deep, faintly hazy ruby/brown body under a spectacular, large, creamy tan head with amazing durability, and leaving sheets and strings of sticky lace. Aroma of dark fruits, dates, figs, and raisins. A complex vinous character with hints of spice adds even more depth. Medium to full body and medium carbonation, slightly syrupy, but rich and creamy, lingering pleasantly on the palate. Flavor reflects the vinous aroma with dark fruity sweetness dominating. A very gentle spicy bitterness arrives late in the game, but still balances well. I had been saving this for over a year to drink for #1000, and I was afraid I might be disappointed, given all the hype. This is a phenomenal beer, richly deserving of its reputation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bobinlondon (1287) - Harrow, Greater London, ENGLAND - NOV 21, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2012 Bottle at home with a like minded friend. Brown with light tan head. Complex alcoholic aroma. Multilayered flavours that keep developing as the glass empties. A bit sweet for me but I would love to try more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
poolboy (66) - Lafayette, Indiana, USA - NOV 20, 2008
My second favorite beer of all. Very much like the Extra 8 but a little sharper. Tastes of figs and toffee. Dark brown color with decent light tan head. Very smooth for a high alcohol beer. Well worth trying to get hold of a few bottles. I traded for mine as I understand it is not sold only at or near the brewery.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SeanMacGC (334) - Dublin, IRELAND - NOV 18, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2008 Bottle 330ml, in Westvleteren goblet. Having looked forward to sampling the Westvs with no little anticipation, and wondering whether I had been duped at all by the superlative and overwhelming hype, with the Westvleteren12, the answer is a most definite no, and it slightly outshines the Westvleteren8. Pours a dark russet, and luscious on both the nose and the palate, with an orchestra of the most melodious notes on the nose. Relatively spicy on the palate, bursting with flavours of all manner of wonderful things. A joy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wrist (3) - DENMARK - NOV 2, 2008 does not count
Dark brown with a long lasting taste of caramel and alcohol. Very fine off white head. One of the best beer I have ever tasted.