overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3172   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drewbeerme (3879) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2008 11.2oz, part of our blind "Better Know a Style: Abt/Quadrupel" tasting, big thanks to xnoxhatex for bringing this to the tasting. pours murky mahogony with good white head. nose is toasted malts, molasses, raisin, plum, and maple syrup. taste is big malty with raisins and plums. mouthfeel is full, soft, and alcohol in finish. finished #2 out of 9 quads (right behind Rochefort 10).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
charlotte (4261) - rÝdovre, DENMARK - JAN 20, 2007
Dark brown with with beige cremy head aroma of fruit,rosted malt dates raisons.A Really heavy beer who tast very well but we have some better beers in Denmark.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bwkrieger (14) - Lisle, Illinois, USA - JAN 18, 2007
Thanks to Bently78 on a trade for this one. Tan head, nice lacing, aromas of dark fruit and bakers chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, vanilla. Flavor is very balanced, alcohol is present but well hidden with rich flavors that are found in the aroma. Long finias with a bit of spice. Overall excellent.

Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 17, 2007
My 100th rating!!!!!!!&# Ah, what a sweet treat this one turned out to be. Iíve studied trappist beers for the better part of two years now and this was the crown jewel of all my efforts at researching this epic brew. Iíve sampled this on two separate occasions just to reinforce my thoughts. Plus, with all the hype I attempted to be as objective as possible. However, this is one of those rare experiences where it certainly lived up to my expectations. Simply put, this is a beer of legendary proportions. Pours typical of most trappist quads with a nice fluffy head and good lacing. The essence of dark plums, raisons and dates drift into my nose. Further exploration detects the esters of a masterpiece of fermentation along with the dark candi syrup which this is a hallmark of. Taking the first sip brings wave after wave of deep layers of complexity that forms a tapestry of flavours the likes of which I havenít experienced before. Deep levels of caramelization that waltz in and out of your senses along with the delicate essences of northern european hops that masterfully balance out the candied sugars that are intertwined. The body is matched perfectly for this style as you are allowed to taste the delicate nuances the monks introduced and not bombarded with an over-the-top chewy mess as other inferior attempts have tried to do. The finish itself is an experience that leaves you wanting to step away from the glass for awhile just to enjoy the afterglow of an almost orgiastic feast of the senses. A whole additional layer of caramelization sets in with a warmth of light alcohol making its presence known. Perfectly hidden only to escape at the proper moment to leave you wondering how such a brew came to be so well done. Minutes pass as the finish lingers in your mouth and I wonder how long I can prolong this experience. There, it slowly passes and I find myself newly enlightened by a masterpiece of the brewing world.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 17, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2007 Thanks to JK for sharing this great beer with BadgerBen, JoeBrew, and myself last week. The beer had a pronounced carob (chocolate) flavor and like Joebrew i detected the faintest hint of peat.

A second sampling from yespers Westvleteren flight. As delicious as I remembered it and better. Not so much peat this time around but the increased spiciness more than made up for it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
deSixtus (3) - BELGIUM - JAN 16, 2007 does not count
The best beer Iíve ever tasted, has a good lacing, a bit creamy and of cours a sweet taste

urbeer (40) - Lo, BELGIUM - JAN 14, 2007
Bottle conditioned 2004. Pours a beautiful chestnut brown beer with a nice off-creamy head. The nose is slightly earthy with notes of figgy sweetness. Aroma shows slight alcohol, some wood and hints of smoke. Flavour notes highlight of raisin bread, spice and fruitiness. Aftertaste is long, malty and sweet accompanied with dates and light bready notes.

detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a deep brown color, with brick red hues when held to the light. Half an inch of smooth and creamy tan foam tops it off. Thick sheets of foamy lace. Belgian chocolate, fruit, yeast, and alcohol in the nose. First sip - oh my this is nice. Soft and smooth flavors of sweet plum, bread, earthy fig, rum, and mild chocolate dance and dance and dance. There’s a delicate but sharp tannin-like bitterness at mid sip that could be hops, or it could be bitter chocolate, or it could just be the alcohol. After a couple sips, I settle on alcohol as the cause, as its presence is sensed as a pleasant vaporous warmth in my throat, my lungs, my tongue, my sinuses… I’d certainly fail a breathalizer right now, and these were my first couple sips of the day. Now I lick my lips expecting alcohol, and instead get a yeasty bready flavor with some smooth Mackinac Island fudge. Silky smooth mouthfeel - creamy, velvety, soft, luscious. Moderate carbonation, full body. Prolonged alcohol in the aftertaste. Becomes even more fruity and even spicy the deeper I dive into the bottle. This is like candy, very addictive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - JAN 14, 2007
Dark. Begie creamy head. The aroma brings alot! Plums, vanilla, chocolatte,rassin and malt are some of all the aromas that goes to your nose. Also peppry. Pepper also comes in the flavor. The flavor and the palate is so extraordinary!

Svejk (12) - Washington, USA - JAN 14, 2007
In the fall of 2003, I took a trip to Belgium and sought out this beer. When you hear so much about a beer, your expectations are through the roof. I found it at a small beer shop in Brugge and brought it back to the hotel. My first sip made me a believer. Itís hard to know where the hype ends and the truth begins, but with this beer, I think the brewers have truly come up with something special. I understand that St Bernardus is basically the same beer, but Iíve had that beer on several occasions, and while I find it delicious, it has not quite impressed me in the same way as the original.