overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3311   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - MAY 25, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2007 I got to try this on tap at the cafe next to the abbey last summer and actually found it much more amazing and if I had rated it then it would probably have a higher rating from me. I also brought back a six pack of the 12 and split my girlfriends six amongst the blond and the 8. One of the twelves I used during a blind tasting of quads with drewbeerme and holdenn. This is that rating. White head sits on top of murky red-brown body. Aroma is beautiful with lots of dark fruit, and malt. Taste is syrupy but none the less fantastic. Raisin, plum, sweet malt. Large body matches large flavor. Surprisingly though, Rochefort beat out the Westy when it came down to numbers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kapusta (88) - Dover, Delaware, USA - MAY 24, 2007
I don’t want to sound like I just jumped on the band wagon, but this is probably the best beer that I have ever tried. Wholesome and rich, with a sweet chocolate/cotton candy aroma. You can taste the ripe fruit and alcohol, and you notice the setery taste on the top of the mouth. If I can do this justice, I would say that it tasted similar to a chocolate covered cordial cherry (real one, not those boxed types). We just got back from Belgium, and I was fortunate enough to pickup two crates. This is so good, that I don’t even want to drink it, in order to save it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mazfln (116) - Florianópolis, BRAZIL - MAY 21, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2007 Well... I was very anxious to try this beer and I had great expectations. But I coudn’t imagine how different this beer would be. I really liked it, it is VERY complex. I can’t describe the aromas or the flavours. I could sense some sweetness and some alcohol in the aroma, but some other things that I can’t describe. The flavour is wonderful, it is very balanced and the sweetness is very pleasant, as it is not so strong. A lot of fruits in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very nice also, and the carbonation is perfect for the style. A very unique beer. I have another bottle in my cellar for a future tasting, and maybe I will be able to rate it more properly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rayg1 (583) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAY 18, 2007
Ok the Westy 12..... poured out a deep brown with a red hue with some floaties and a lacing of white head that lasted throughout. Armoa is tons of dark fruits with raisins and plums the most dominant followed by a hint of alcohol. Taste is powerful and complex with plums and dark candi sugar, touch of dark chocolate and spice, it all finishes with a sweet alcoholic tingle as the alcohol was less hidden than I imagined. Mouthfeel was great, this is a wonderful beer no doubt but I must say I think that the beer is a bit hyped up and there are a few Quads out there that could be considered equals. Huge thanks to Ross for sharing this gem with me!

TomFlor77 (1) - Koksijde, BELGIUM - MAY 14, 2007 does not count
Pours a deep mahogany, ruby highlights, and a long lasting huge pillow white head. Smells of rich dark fruit, candi sugar,Honney , cereal, yeasty, a hint of alcohol, somewhat vinous, amazingly complex. Flavor: candied figs, lchocolaty, chewy malts, buttery on the finish. Full velvety body with carbonation just dancing in your mouth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
AndrewC (337) - Canterbury, Kent, ENGLAND - MAY 13, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2012 A cloudy amber brown beer with heavy almond and plum skin flavours and an alcoholic burn on the finish. re-rate: stupid beer. Okay that’s harsh but "Best Beer in the World" my arse.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bboeckl (142) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 12, 2007
Bottle at Kulminator. Poured dark with large why head. Complex taste. Fruit, spices, wheat. Great mouthfeel. Undescribaly good. But no match for an 8 year-old Westie 6 which I picked for some non beer drinkers. Oh well, at least I got a sip of that too.

fifelee (2) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAY 9, 2007 does not count
Bottle at the In de Vrede café across from the monastery. I had to go to the source to find the last of the Trappists. Very dark pour with wonderful creamy head. Lots of body. Awesome aroma of dark fruit, caramel, spicy. Taste is complex…sweet, raisin, fig, plum, chocolate and so much more. Great alcohol kick at the end. I love this beer. I am so jealous of the farmers who have this place as their local café.

mucom (35) - NETHERLANDS - MAY 7, 2007
Deep hazy mahogany coloured beer with a huge thick creamy off white head and leaving a thick lace in the glass. Fruity, spicy and bready aroma of caremel, plums and cake. Malty bready caremel flavors, full body, thick and creamy, silky mouthfeel, alcohol well hidden, smooth and wonderfull, more than perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dra19 (89) - holland, Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2007 Dark brown color with decent head and great aroma with slight alcohol, yeast, fruit, and caramel. This beer is great.