Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 25, 2008
10.2 % that is nicely hidden in this perfect beer. There is a reason this beer is rated so high, it is because it is completely perfect. I have drank about 10 bottles in Europe over the past couple of months and I can certainly say, "Iíve drank enough to know."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 19, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2010 Re-rate only for editing purposes, awful rate is still the original. 2004 bottle. Deep brown body with a small, light head. My final beer at the end of an intense day, and I wasnít taking notes, but Iíll try to remember my impressions. I do remember what I thought of it in comparison to some other beers that Iíve had, so thatís largely where the rating comes from. My most memorable impression of it is itís light body compared to other beers of the same and similar styles, yet itís ability nonetheless to maintain itís complexity. Definitely some molasses coffee notes, I got some honey notes as well amidst the more typical vinous dark fruit body. Iím not sure if I would say the beer is overrated, if I was just expecting too much, if it was the end-of-day placement, or if my preference for brews not afraid to be bold at every turn results in this below-average rating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
kosko20 (350) - Hopewell Junction, New York, USA - JAN 17, 2008
Completely overrated. Tasted a lot like a port or sweet red wine. Not what I believe a beer should taste like. Maybe I had a bad bottle?

thedrip (10) - Harlowton, Montana, USA - JAN 17, 2008
its perfect. I drank it...and then could not get my head around the flavor ..comparable to Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus abt. but...just so much more complex. There is a ton of flavors..and they BALANCE. it is an awesome beer.

BartC (727) - Lichtaart, BELGIUM - JAN 15, 2008
Dark brown beer. Very small head. Very rich aroma and taste. A lot of dark fruits, caramel, coffee notes, spices and some alcohol at the end. Very long lasting aftertaste. Very complex but o so nicely balanced. My second 20/20!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jerre (3019) - Waregem, BELGIUM - JAN 15, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2014 Bottle, 33 cl. Yesterday evening taste again after years. Dark brown almost black color, with creamy beige head. Rich and complex..alcohol give a warm mouthfeeling. This is the best ! But personally for me is the blond version 5,8 more my taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 14, 2008
I found this beer for sale at OíBrienís, with a hefty price tag for a 12 oz. Still, it was cheaper than a ticket to Belgium and I wasnít about to pass up the top rated beer in the world. Pours murky brown with a big tan head that stays around for a while. Pleasantly sweet aroma of cherries, prunes, brown sugar, licorice, bread dough, oak, and yeast. Unbeleivably light mouthfeel. Its like the beer hovers on your tongue. Amazing taste. It mimics the aroma quite well, with an intriguing combination of tastes. I had the same problem as others: it was very, very difficult to pin down specific flavors. It was almost as if the beer was blending and mixing while in your mouth. Sweet, sour, spice, and fruit were in constant motion and made up a beer that is almost undescribably good. It was well worth its price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - JAN 14, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2008 Tried the Westy 8 first and was slightly dissapointed. So I didnít know what to expect with the 12. Poured a dark murky brown into my St. Bernardus glass. On first sip the beer is way to cold. Still I pick up big dark fruit flavors, lots of prune juice soaked bread, with a finish that is lasting and perfect. Upon warming it really opens up. The flavors up front get bigger without losing the perfect balance and the finish lasts longer. The balance is near perfect, with a complexity I have rarely seen in such a smooth and soft beer. Re-rate: Had another bottle of this last night. I thought I might be able to rate this better without so much initial hype as the first time. Still an awesome beer, lot to be said for the subtleties. Also, one of the best beers I have had at room temperature. Still, not quite as impressed on this second go. It has great balance, and a really stellar quality about it, but the titile of best beer in the world is hard to live up to.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Yves (2614) - Turnhout, BELGIUM - JAN 12, 2008
Dark brown coloured beer with small head, a sweet malty aroma. Iím not really a fan of brown beers, but when you taste this one, you are in heaven.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
amishcaravan (247) - Winona, Minnesota, USA - JAN 11, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2008 The aroma smells like red wine. It looks like heaven in a glass - a dark brown with very little head. The flavor is truely amazing. Hints of chocolate, brown sugar and nuts. Goes down very smooth. When you taste this, you know why it is currently rated #1. If I ever have the chance to drink this beer again, I will certainly take advantage