overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3617   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

lloydparfait's rating

lloydparfait (2) - - JUN 17, 2012
This beer took many trips around Belgium to find. This beer lives up to rumors. Fantastic body, aroma and finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NoDirection (29) - - JUL 23, 2016
Tasted from a friend who brought is back from a touring trip of trappist breweries. Sneakingly strong, balanced and nice to drink. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Enteogenisk (123) - Bålsta, SWEDEN - JUL 20, 2016
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2016 Bottle in wine glass. Has a very specific sort of bitter orange taste that stands out the most, besides the burning and slightly over the top ABV. Interesting hop progression but amongst other great Belgian quads, I don?t really see the big deal here?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WaddlingPlatypus (112) - Durham, ENGLAND - JUL 17, 2016
330ml bottle. Dark ruby amber pour with a pale caramel head. Haylage dominates the aroma, along with notes of red berries and whisky burn. The tongue is immediately touched by the flavour of brandy burn, soft haylage, and wholemeal bread. Mellow peaty flavours appear, along with light dark chocolate in both taste and aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 9/20
Tmrobotix (44) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - JUL 14, 2016
I was really excited when my local drinkstore suddenly had a crate of Westvleteren in his store. I paid 10 euros for one bottle but I feel like it was worth it. Haven’t seen any bottle since then. Aroma: God this was lovely. It had a hint of so much! very fruity! Appearance: brownish color Taste: well okay too Palate: I like it when a beer isn’t full of co2, carbonation felt natural and that’s cool. Overall: here’s where the dissapointment start, the aroma is good, the appearance is normal, the taste is ok the palate was good. The best beer in the world? Not for me! Overall I felt it too sweet, too light yet I could feel the alcohol content. I’m glad I tasted this beer but for this price I certainly won’t drink it again. Dissapointing but still good just not as good as I hoped and thought

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cenzura (544) - Warsaw, POLAND - JUL 14, 2016
Aroma: dried fruits, raisins, spices, classy alcohol and plum. Taste: sweet dried fruits, herbs, buckwheat honey, liquor, plum and raisins. Medium head, average lacing and medium to high carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OminouSC2 (401) - SWEDEN - JUL 12, 2016
Dark brown color. Aromas of spices, fruits, raisins, sugar. Complex taste, brown sugar, spices, yeast, fruit, wood, vanilla, ripe bananas. Well hidden alcohol. Not as sweet as many other Abt/Quads. Really solid.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Luneylane (17) - Taipei City, TAIWAN - JUL 7, 2016
A bottle ordered online from Belgium and drunk at Steve’s place while on leave. The appearance detracted from the overall experience, as it looks very, very murky. The aroma kind of made up for that, to an extent. I took my time over it, as it was not cheap - very complex palate and taste. Paradoxically, this was disappointing - the taste is so complex that I could not discern any overriding characteristics, too much going on. Not the ’best in the world’ to my mind [old notes].

FunkyF (805) - Örebro, SWEDEN - JUL 5, 2016
Flaska från Garagebrewer80. Ljust brun med fluffigt ljusbrunt skum. Tydlig karamell och koladoft. Rund och fin smak med kola och mörk malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
CzechTex (127) - - JUL 4, 2016
In Brugge. Though technically not available in pubs, I managed to get one. Best beer in the world? Difficult to say, but certainly enjoyable. At the inflated price (€15.50) this won’t be a daily ritual....but now I have experienced it so I can rest easy...or maybe not. In any case, I like it in all respects. Try it if you can find it!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
LRonCupboard (31) - ENGLAND - JUL 3, 2016
Bottle from de Molen shop. Feel like I have been part of some sort of conspiracy here. Categorically not the best beer in the world. Not even the best beer in my fridge. I can only put the scores down to a) abt/quads not really being my style (so maybe I am doing it a disservice) and b) rarity pushing scores up. Mid brown, hazy, small head hangs around a while. Fruit/spice on the nose. Medium to full bodied, hides alcohol quite well. Spice and fruit continue on tasting. Quite a bit of sweetness as you might expect. Rich, but ultimately disappointing and just not that enjoyable. I think there are a lot better and more exciting things happening in the beer world than this.