overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3133   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 27, 2001
What can I say, the absolute best Trappist product I’ve tried, and I’ve tried six so far. This beer is incredible, only wish I could have more. Unfortunately, cost too much to consume in large quantities. I feel I can still taste this beer. I recommend it to anyone who can get ahold of one.

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 13, 2001
My personal choice for best beer in the world. Hugely flavorful, particularly a nutty, malty, burnt fruit flavor that is married perfectly to a soft but full body. The taste lingers in your mouth for a many minutes after you take a sip. Elegant, sophisticated, powerful, and down-right awesome. The true king of beers.

Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2001
This is it. Beer in heaven or any after life shuld taste liker this. It is everything I want from a glass. The texture is as unique as the flavor. Pay whatever, but drink one, you cannot be sorry. You can get one at The Map Room in Chicago, too.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2002
Re-Rate 08/30/02: I’ve had this bottle for about 18 months, and decided, I could not wait to re-rate it. The pour is a cloudy cherry like color, minial head, minimal lace. Nose is ’plummish’, sweet, malts, earthy, ’Heavenly’, is a term that comes to mind. Start sweet, the top light, the finish is ’wineish, lightly acidic, dry, abv warms the tummy, nice light hop bite. Ranks #1 on my current 1000 beer master list.

Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 14, 2001
It is almost sacrilegious to call this beer. It transcends the category, with its deliciously enticing fruity-wine aroma and magnificent, malty raspberry/plum taste. Strong yet delicate, imagine biting into a perfectly ripe pear to get an idea of the texture and heartiness exhibited by ’12’. With such a high alcohol content, one would expect an overwhelming alcohol flavor, but it was masked as well as any ’beer’ I’ve had. With its rich, delectable taste, beautiful dark color, frothy head, and luscious aroma, this IS the perfect ’beer.’ An orgiastic feast for the senses.

DanielNylander99 (5) - Oslo, NORWAY - AUG 24, 2001 does not count
This one is absolutly my favorite beer! Far better than the Rochefort 10. Too bad that the monestary is not massproducing this beer, but then, it’s part of the magic I guess. If you’re gonna get drunk, do it with style. Do it the Westvleteren way!

trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - SEP 9, 2001
The most magnificent beer on the earth. It is costly. But it is well worth the price. This beer contains so many positive characteristics. If you are lucky enough to find this decadent liquid, buy all of it that you can! It is supernatural.

stefli99 (1) - lidköping, SWEDEN - SEP 20, 2001 does not count
What can you say?, craftmanship thats what its all about, the balanced taste and beatiful aroma, yummy!!, sorry its so damn hard to get one...

rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - AUG 6, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2007 The king of beers. I haven’t had it in awhile. I don’t remember it well enough to comment on it. I had some comments here, but I wanted to rerate. I didn’t have this beer at a 5. Well, I’ve drank a whole lot of beer in my life, and this is still the best.

cgesq0199 (2) - Geraardsbergen, BELGIUM - FEB 20, 2002 does not count
Absolutely the best Trappist beer, very sweet aroma, long aftertaste, creamy foam