overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Belgian Ale
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 1119   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Westvleteren Blond is the basic beer for the monks’ own consumption, since 1999, when the former 6° dark ale (red cap) was finally discarded, after the 4° had already gone that path.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Light gold color. Medium head. Aroma is floral, honey, lemon and yeast. WOW this is the BEST smelling beer I think I’ve had to date. Floral and refreshing. Very clean taste. Fruity, lemons, floral, candy sugar and yeasts. Very nice beer. It took me several minutes before I tasted this beer, because it smelled so good. Very clean. Nice beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - MAR 9, 2003
Honey colored pour with a wispy head releasing an aroma of yeast,grass and spice. Coming from Westvleteren I was expecting something exceptional, what I got was a solid Belgian blond.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - MAR 9, 2003
I was much excited to get the chance to sample this one. A nice ocean breeze flows out of the glass. Fruits, flowers, yeast are all present. A light blonde color. A nice refreshing crisp and clean brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - MAR 6, 2003
Hazy orange colour. Hops, yeasty and refreshing citrus in the nose and flavour. Good bitterness in the flavour and finish. A medium-bodied, complex and very good balanced beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2003
nice freakin' head on this cloudy schoolbus colored monster..yeast, hay, warm lawnmower blades, and lemon zest..flavors of orange zest, yeast, cow-chawed grass..slighly acidic in the middle with a dry yeasty finish and lingering bready aftertaste..semi-full body..but as belgian blonds are not my favorite, i cannot fully appreciate what it is i may have here..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - FEB 23, 2003
This beer I almost missed, since the only difference is the cap. It poured a very foamy, bubbly light gold color and formed a foamy head that left a fairly thick coating of lace. A good deal of carbonation and sediment was present(but due to the foam, I probably poured too much of it from the bottom). An aroma of hops and grain with a slight hint of clove. A flavor of hops, grain and a bit peppery. The finish also hint at the pepper. A good beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 18, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2003 I had the #12 first, #8 next and finally the Blonde. I think my favorite of the bunch is the Blond. Yellow as straw, pours with a wonderful head. This what beer should look like. Yeasty, bread aroma and flavor. Not over powering. Wonderful balance. Enough bitterness as to keep me interested. I hate paying $8 for a beer, but I think I going to have to do it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hansen (6691) - Assentoft, DENMARK - FEB 16, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2014 Not as complex as Westvleteren 12, but I like this one even more. The sweet fruit, powerfull bread and bitter hoppynes fits perfect in my mouth. Extremly pleasent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
diabel (1607) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - FEB 11, 2003
Bottled. (off course) Beautiful blond colour. Almost a white beer. Little bit sweeter aroma tha the 8 and 12. Bitter flavour, but amusing bitter. A little bit a sticky palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SilkTork (5218) - Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - FEB 10, 2003
I haven't yet signed up for the Belgian Blonde Appreciation Society, the application form is still in the drawer alongside my New year resolutions. However this beer made me get it out to reflect on it once more. Orval, De Koninck and this Westy Blond are probably the three most famous and acclaimed. My experience of Orval was not favourable, but I had to try De Koninck a few times before I started to appreciate the subtle darjeeling flavours. This Westy is a gentle drink, quite soft, despite the late hop bite, full of pleasing citric flavours. There is the distinctive Belgian yeast blanket that marks it out as something apart from a British Golden Summer Ale, though it has a lot in common with that style. A pleasing drink, and one to compare someday with Orval and De Koninck.