overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Belgian Ale
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 1185   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Westvleteren Blond is the basic beer for the monks’ own consumption, since 1999, when the former 6° dark ale (red cap) was finally discarded, after the 4° had already gone that path.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - JUL 17, 2006
Finishing the holy trinity. Poured a hazy golden body with a fairly large head, good but not great lacing. Aroma is spicy, peppery with notes of their sugar and yeast. Some bitterness. Flavor is a little more pronounced, but still had a watery finish near the end. It was like a bad RR Damnation to me. Not impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 12, 2006
Bottle: 3 for 3! Cloudy orange gold pour, with a big white rocky head. Some Sediment, and some nice lacing. Aroma, had some spice, yeast, and some light floral hops. Flavor was a little bready, with some spice in there, and a light crisp hoppiness. I hate that I paid as much as I did for this, but at least I got to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
decaturstevo (5487) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JUL 6, 2006
Double thanks here to kp for breaking it out and one to Beercellar2 for making me try it. A hazy golden pour that reeks of fruit and yeast. A flavor of light fruit and much yeast. Much lighter carbonation than I expected. A beer I never thought I would see much less try. Thanks guys.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - JUL 4, 2006
Poured a hazy pale yellow color with a medium but quickly dissolving white head. The aroma was fruity and suggary with notes of apples. The flavor was yeasty, sweet and floral. Lively mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Bottle. Poured into my new Westy glass. Cloudy golden/straw color. Thick bubbly head. Very yeasty aroma, with a dash of spices (coriander?). Good bit of yeastiness in flavor, along with some mustiness, spices and a little hoppy bitternmess. Decent mouthfeel. Overall, I was somewhat under-whelmed. Perhaps I am not a blond fan or perhaps it was the hype.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 30, 2006
Bottle into Westy glass, Heeren van Liedekerke. Golden yellow and almost clear in the glass, visibly effervescent, with a creamy small bubbled head that’s thick and clings to the side. Duvelish smell, yeasty, with banana and light fluffy bread. The smell also has a strong strain of herbs and spices (ginger, coriander). Light and lilting on the tongue, some watermelon and malt ride the refreshing body. Only after the swallow does this get serious, with noble hops at great strong level drying out the finish (and some black pepper too). Thick wall of lace everywhere, with a bit of the 3D effect I saw in the J & J Blauw. Soft carbonation dominates the mouthfeel, filling the mouth with soft foam that tickles the tongue and keeps the beer delicate before the nicely delicate and dry finish. Racing is quick and belies the effervescent upward tension in the beer. Although the flavor doesn’t dominate the experience (which is usually my preference), this was obviously crafted with a look toward the feel and the softness; in that regard, it is incredibly well done.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2006
Bottle from Beermania, Brussels. Yeast coating interior bottle. Looks wicked for a blonde like that. Extremely pale straw golden blond, yet hazy, so the overall appearance is of a heady wheat beer with a big puffy white head. Smells like a wheatfield with occassional peachtrees in a big loaf of religious challah bread. Taste is tangy and more like a lemon rind than any other beer I’ve had before. As it finishes, it tastes like grass. It’s surprisingly exciting compared to its style and "statistical" evaluation next to its brothers. It is clear that very personal care went into the making of this beer and it is certainly a beer to keep other blonde beers who have lost their soul awake at night. This is no super sweet, coriander heavy beer, though both those subject will become evident upon some of your tastes of this beer, but other times it will taste rather different and always provide a pleasing complement to what you are contemlating or experiencing. It deserves a higher rating for being exemplary, top of its class.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HenrikSoegaard (11755) - Randers, DENMARK - JUN 28, 2006
Bottle. Creamy white excellent fully lasting head. Yellow colour. Fantastic powerfull complex aroma. Honey hints. Flavor outstanding. Very bitter long finish. Creamy palate. A really fantastic beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kepano (247) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUN 26, 2006
For my first passage at the eminent abbey of St. Sixtus, I settled to stop by the controversial In de Vrede, and see what the fuss is about. Sitting myself at one of the large tables, I ordered the Blond and a side of cheese. To my right a lone smoker sat with his beer, while the two noisy families on my right were enjoying a meal with theirs. I must say these are rather poor conditions for such a ceremonial event, but I took my chance anyway. Poured and slipped under my nose in an instant, the beer was topped of a beautiful white foam that slowly diminished leaving a sticky lace evenly across the surface. Below, a rather sickly looking liquid gravitated in the glass, an ochre tint that seemed somehow unappealing, perhaps due to the sooty grey table it was sitting on. As I brought the chalice to my nose, the only smell I could sense came from the miasma crowding the room. With effort, I began to detect light estery notes, bubble gum and banana especially, followed by pepper, chalk and cream. A refreshing fragrance but somewhat bland, I must concede. The strong tingling of carbonation first collides with the tongue, but subsequently reveals a spicy flavor of pepper and coriander mixed with mango and wheat. Again, a lack of depth surprises me, as the finishing bitterness of Belgian hops strikes my palate. I consciously make an effort to perceive the subtleties, but can’t, and end my glass in a quaff. This one deserves another chance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Thanks to egajdzis for this ’04 vintage... Appears a light yellow with a small white head that fades into a mild cap and thin collar. Streaks of lacing are left around the glass. Smell is of light fruit, mild yeast, white bread, light caramel malt with some pilsner-esque aromas, along with an tiny herbal spiceyness. Taste is of the above mentioned aromas...perhaps a slight drop from the anticipated flavor not quite living up to the smell. Mouthfeel is crisp, dry, with a very subdued sugar taste in the swallow.