overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 1734   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.22   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production going very far into the world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CapFlu (4482) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 3, 2003
(Bottle) Rating #800 - Pours a nice, foamy biege head and a near opaque reddish-brown body. Much sediment. Nose of iodine, apples and malt. Strange but energetic and engaging - like a hospital emergency room. Flavours of matl, figs, cloves, vanilla and mild spices. Finish of a ever-so-slight alcohol burn makes this a rare delight. Many thanks to RadioMGB for making this happen...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - AUG 22, 2003
Didn't exactly set my pants on fire. The two times I have had this it's been unbelievably different, first time was over the top peppery spiciness with nutmeg overtones, the second time was really soft with boiled pea/cabbage hints. The underlying beer is solidly malty with excellent mouthfeel but the subtler flavours have been inconsistent and a little bit weird for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - AUG 20, 2003
Deep rich grape and raisin aroma with toasty creamy malt finish. Hazy almond mud color with head to the end and good lacing. Flavor has NO alcohol detectable, even at room temp. Very classic creamy toast and cinnamon qualities, mmm mmm mmm. Fruity finish with a light hop smoothness. Overall it's a great belgian, one of the bests, I love it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hansen (6495) - Assentoft, DENMARK - AUG 13, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2014 The greatest thing about this beer is the flavor. It is malty with dark fruit at the first sips. Then it becomes more like dark bread.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 11, 2003
I'm not going to rule out ever trying a Trappist again, but if this is any indication of what I have to look forward to, I'm at least going to be very reluctant. The smell is sorta yeasty and malty. Malty I like, but I'm coming to realize that yeasty turns me off; not so much the aromas but the flavors it imparts. Every time I would take a sip of this I would wince and shake my head. I just could not enjoy it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
TogBean (47) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 4, 2003
Call me a deviant. It's OK. I can understand why everybody loves this beer but it just didn't do it for me. I'm sure there are wonderful flavors and secondary flavors and hinted at complexities that I'll never get because I'll never drink it again. My Husband brews from time to time, beer and mead and his first attempt at a blackberry mead went south. He steeped the berries, skins, seeds and all in the the hot water and honey and left them in during fermantation. When we tried it a year later it was like someone had coated the inside fo my mouth with parafin wax. It was beyond nasty, and when i tasted this beer i tasted that all over again. It's got to be the tannins. Yargh and Yuck. Sorry guys, but enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rauchbier (3596) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - AUG 3, 2003
Bottle conditioned. Young sample. Deep chestnut red, Excellent thick creamy off white rocky head and good condition. Bitter yeasty and mouldy aromas laced with alcohol. Soft, smooth and malty sweet with berries and yeast in the mouth. Finish is long and slightly bittersweet, tinged with yeast. Not as good as the Abt or an aged Extra but still good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
a yeasty dark chocolate scent, nice and dark with a tight fine head, nice mellow dark chocolate flavor, nice amounts of malt and cream, kind of watery and slight bitterness

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LINKBREW (101) - Santee, California, USA - JUL 24, 2003
At In de Vrede. Dense creamy head. Spicy hops in aroma, as well as some candy and dark malt. Full body with some caramel and spicy hoppiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aurelius (4062) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 23, 2003
Aroma smells like children's vitamins, citrus, grain and cod liver oil. Label is straightforward -- logo looks like Afrika corps emblem. Dark, hazy beer with light sediment. Flavor is well-balanced and mellow. Cakey, nutty, somewhat tannic, lightly sweet and a little smokey. Mild hops that build. Quick toffee finish.