overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 1854   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.22   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production going very far into the world.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4576) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 20, 2004
Pours a brownish color with a medium head. Interesting malt aroma with some spice to it. Ditto on the taste. Itís a little sugary. There are also some of the root and/or herbal flavors that I loved so much in another Trappist beer. Decently tasty, but nothing to search the ends of the Earth for.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - SEP 19, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2004 Almost the same as the 12, but a lighter version. Pours a murky cloudy brown color with a head that almost instantly settles it on a sheet of just bubbles. The wacky thing is there is hardly any aroma and I was expecting so much more. For as many times Iíve had this beer, the flaws are a lot more noticeable when Iím paying attention to whatís happening in the glass. The taste I donít find anything more than malt which isnít much better than any good doppel. Sweet and candy suger tasting and lacking any real depth. Thereís the chocolate raisen taste that Iím used to but I donít remember why I like this stuff. Full bodied but too sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 13, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 20, 2004 Poured deep deep brown with thick fluffy tan head that left beautiful lacing...the aroma had to be the most disappointing thing about this beer (the only disappointing thing about it) it seemed to have some sort of wet cat food aroma at first...that did fade, but I feel like it poisoned my nose...became sweet, very earthy...the taste: much more mild than I expected (or am used to for this style)...my first couple of sips actually also left me disappointed...I thought the hype sucked...by my third or fourth sip, I thought I couldnít even feel it in my mouth...the mouthfeel is the most profound thing about this beer...you know when you tongue kiss someone, and it is the best kiss ever, it feels like there is no air in either of your mouths and it just feels like one mouth? This beer is a perfect kiss. Flavors are mild...alcohol, a little raisin and grapey, yeasty...the finish is sweet at first, but fades into an aftertaste that I canít describe...there is something bitter about it (not bitter in the good way)...I have had a weird taste in my mouth all day, so we will chalk it up to that... I had this beer cellared for quite a while, put it in the fridge and took a nap for 30 minutes...the beer couldnít have been over 53 degrees or so, but when it hit room temp, it was amazing!! I have had beers where the flavor improves with temp, but never one I could drink straight out of the cellar (closet, but whatever)...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpringsLicker (3234) - Tennessee, USA - SEP 7, 2004
Deep mahogany with a rich thick head. Beautiful Belgian Lace on the glass. I worked on the aroma for quite awhile. Rich, nutty, malty and it just kept coming and coming. Each swirl of the goblet brought another wave of new aromas. The flavor was everything the aroma had prepared me for. Rich sweet and complex. Dried fruits, caramel, just wonderful. The best Belgian I have had. A must try beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - SEP 2, 2004
Thanks to my friend Claude for bringing this bad boy over. Slightly cloudy, copper colored, good head and lace, steady carbonation. Insane aroma of fat bready malt, raisins, berries, spices, toffee, vanilla and brown sugar. Medium-full bodied, bit fluffy and creamy. A multitude of flavors including grain, huge malts, figs, toffee, blackberry, raisins, some musty yeast and a hint of chocolate to boot. Definitely some Goldings to finish it up. Its like a liquid nutrigrain bar. Alcohol is barely noticeable, hard to believe this is beer. Incredible aroma and flavor. Bring on Westy 12....Iím ready for it again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
veronika (410) - SWEDEN - SEP 2, 2004
Dark brown with a great head. Aroma is malty, some banana, chocolate, vanille and notes from citrus. Falvor from vanilla, somewhat peppery, fruity and from chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
igel (196) - New Mexico, USA - AUG 31, 2004
The head is an off white, and light textured with low retention. Lace is sticky and the head leaves a fine layer. Aroma: bread dough, with rummy fruits, preserves and a hint of alcohol. Flavor: A dry start with a sweeter middle -- caramel, raisins -- and a tart finish. Mouthfeel: medium bodied and effervescent with a peppery finish. An interesting beer with a nice warming sensation and some relatively complex attributes. Lighter tan I had expected and surprisingly tart. Temperature should be over 60f.

21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 30, 2004
Dark brown and some purple. Had a really weird wood bark aroma to it. Tastes like im licking a piece of wood though the wood melts in my mouth, so maybe im eating cork. No comparison to 12 but nothing stands out on its own.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 27, 2004
Smells fruity, I get orange, bubble gum, grape, and maybe even apples. Pours nice dark reddish brown. The head is white and is pretty big and it wonít go away. You really get a nice flavor from it. It tastes kind of malty actually with slight hints of all the fruits. The texture surely is velvet, this has to be the smoothest I have ever had. Alcohol taste pretty hidden and I would say it was worth it to pay the price to taste this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (3270) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 26, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2004 Ahhhh.... so here it is Westy 8, the less-mighty little brother of the mighty Westy 12. Though, at 8% ABV, itís mighty enough for most, myself included. Pours a nice dark burgundy with a frothy pillow of head made of a frothy pillow of large and small bubbles. This head, being less-mighty than some, does diminish to a mighty eigth of a mighty inch that will not go away no matter how much you beg. Well, I donít know for sure since I didnít beg it but I just assume. I donít bow down for any beer even if it is the less-mighty brother of the mighty Westy 12. The aroma is initially mild--sort of dry and bready--but if you coax it with a good swirl or two some pleasant rum raisin notes come on out and say hi. The mouthfeel is wonderful and I think the real reason behind the astronomical scores that these Westy brothers get from so many people--very smooth, soft like cotton with sensual velvet touch of carbonation and a pin-prickly alcohol warmth. Of course, Iím refering to the tonguefeel specifically not the entire mouthfeel as I tend to give less attention to the way it feels on, for example, my teeth. In flavor country, you see a lot more action. I would assume this is due to the malty villagers fending off the attack of spicy Belgian yeast barbarians. The malts hold their own but they tire as the temperture rises and eventually give way and become slave to their yeasty overlords. What all of this means to you, the beer drinker, is you end up with a beer thatís mighty but not as mighty as itís brother, Westy 12.

As a side note, I would like to thank the good brothers at Westvleteren for giving me the subject matter of what is easily one of the worst and stupidest ratings Iíve written in the last several days.