overall

RATINGS: 1342   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - JUL 28, 2004
7/24/04. Poured out of 12 oz. bottle, sampled at San Diego Barley Wine Tasting courtesy of SDbruboy 7/24/04. Pours a burnt orange-red-brown color. Smoky caramel with rich berry aroma. Some bitter hops and spice in the nose. Very full, smooth and silky body. Sweetly malty, but sort of weak flavor, surprising because of the big body and good aroma. Still pretty good, but if the flavor were better it would take this beer over the top. In retrospect, I’m kind of surprised I was high enough on this beer to give it a 3.9 overall rating, but I stand by my score until I prove to myself it deserves otherwise.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JUL 22, 2004
Brownish orange pour with no head. Very malty aroma with scents of alcohol. Flavor is a thick, alcoholic, and sweet malt. Not much bitterness in the end, but definitely a warming sensation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUL 20, 2004
Brown with very little head. Aroma of sweet malt, raisins and alcohol. Flavor is malty sweet, but not overwhelmingly so with hints of dark fruit and finishing with an alcoholic bite. Full mouth-feel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUL 13, 2004
Bottle. Dark amber with minimal head. Nose is sweet and fruity. First flavors to come out are dried apple, alcohol, woody, raisin, and malt. This is very, very good. Super smooth (the 11% ABV is well masked) and clean. The finish is a little sweet and sharp with a warm alcohol bite. Overall very, very enjoyable. Excellent!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kevin (2149) - New Mexico, USA - JUL 13, 2004
bottle. an earthy fruit smell is present here. this looks like cloudy tea(iced tea, i’m in texas afterall). flavor is like a good stout. slight malty fruit with a full body flavor. coffee and toffee on the finish. damn this is good. i want more. Thanks Lumpy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lubiere (10851) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 11, 2004
Opaque hazy borown with a thick compact off-white head. Aroma of brown sugar, alcohol, apples, and scotch.Whooping sweet malt with tequila alcohol. Nice bittering throughout the profile. Fairly heavy palate but well balnced , a whollop ofd hops and a whollop of malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - JUL 5, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2004 I found this beer by accident. I had bought a sixer of Merry Monks and someone had replaced one monk with this idiot. Oh well, I did mean to pick this up but for some reason hadn?t yet (read: I am cheap). Anyhoo, hearty flavor with a dark amber color. Alcohol is omnipresent, but understandably so. More than one of these might leave you a blithering idiot, but its overall a fine example of the style. Notes of raisins and smoke. Extra points for it being free.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUL 2, 2004
07.01.04 12oz bottle. Darkish amber pour, no head. massively malty aromas, lots of alcohol as well, no hops. The flavor is spicey and burning from alcohol and, perhaps, youth. I’ve had this in the cellar for over a year, but I think it could use more time. It seemed young, harsh. There was a definite emergence of some pepepry notes, some prune and fig, some candied fruits. I wish I had waited until winter (I was in no mood for this stuff today) but I was so hyped about Victory Old Horizontal that I cracked this ’other PA barley wine’ thinking I was keeping in spirit. Oh well, I’ve got more.

aracauna (3202) - Georgia, USA - JUL 2, 2004
This was one of the guest taps at 5 Seasons in Atlanta for the July 1 celebration (yay bigger beer!) A very nice barleywine and one that I think is better for the style than the wimpy for style Old Heathen. This is on the dark side of the brown specturm wiht an ok head. It’s got that big barleywine fruitiness in the aroma backed up with a healthy does of sweet malt and leafy, grassy hops. The caramel-like malt is sweet, but not cloying and blends nicely with the dates and fig fruitiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUL 1, 2004
3-4oz sample. Pours a little on the light side for a heavily malted barleywine. The aroma hint of the raisins, dates, and figs that arrive in the flavor. The lingering thickness of this brew really leaves the palate happy.