overall

RATINGS: 1318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - APR 29, 2003
Dark, bittersweet brew. Not near the hops or malt flavor I was expecting. A decent brew, but not my favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - APR 27, 2003
Pours a nice clear amber with touch of brown. Dissipating head and light English hop aroma. Slight fruitiness with a very light malt profile. Bitterness is not overly pronounced but could use some aging.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 20, 2003
This started off too sweet and was not really my kind of barleywine. It poured a deep amber/brown color and the white head soon dissipated. I will have to re-rate this as my bottle may have been bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - APR 3, 2003
This is the first of the barley wines I've ever had...dark color, hint of maybe some chocolate, a bit sweet, hops well balanced and not overpowering, for something of it's alcohol content, and it finished well, with less of a strong alcohol taste than I would expect. Another fine Weyerbacher product!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jgb9348 (4851) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAR 27, 2003
Dark in colour, Absolutely no head. Served in goblet from the tap. Mild aroma, nothing too noticable from the smell however. Strong taste with a noticable alcoholic kick...after all it is a barley wine. Decent aftertaste, but really nothing too special in this one. Granted, just the fact it is not a horrible barley wine makes it much better than a typical beer, but try a different barley wine if you want a really good one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (1891) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - MAR 19, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2004 2002 Vintage (Not sure if they track vintages). A bit of a reddish color. Pours with no head. Had this sitting for a couple of months in my basement befor I chilled it and tasted it. It could have aged some more, as it was a bit harsh. Very fruity, a bit of alchohol in the nose and the taste. Didn't do it for me. I let it sit for a few more months before I chill a second. Re-rate: Let the bottle sit about 7 months after purchase. It has mellowed immensly. It is much better now! The nose actually has a hint of scotch to it. It has become a very good barley wine!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Man do I love this beer. Very malty and big bodied. Wonderful barleywine. Pours a medium umber brown, with a small white head. Aroma is mostly estery maltiness, with a bit of hops and just a touch of alcohol. Flavor is very malty, with hints of raisin, plum, and something else. A wierd fruitiness I'm not familiar with. It's present in some bigger belgian beers I've tried. Hops are definitely present, but preside over the background and provide a compliment to the alcohol in the finish. Awesome stuff, and worth the $12 I paid for a sixer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 13, 2003
Nice reddish brown colour with a small head. Consistent aroma and flavour dominated by dark fruits, toffee and pleasant malts. The finish is warm and alcoholic. However, a bit too sweet and one-dimensional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MartinT (8135) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 27, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2005 A bloodshot hue leads to a naked, sweet fieldberry and bubblegum pie filling...An astringent alcohol periscope eyes the faint complexity and retreats bored...The happy dullness of a thrummed mandolin...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Very fruity flavor. A little too fruity and slightly too sweet for my taste. Although, overall a good barley wine. I did though enjoy the aroma