overall

RATINGS: 1338   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - OCT 24, 2002
Very sweet yet some bitterness in the aftertaste. Caramel and mollases flavors- very strong- alcohol is hidden moderately. Nice but not as good as old horizontal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4422) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Shouldn’t have had this at the end of the evening, could have deserved a better rating, BUT here goes: very smooth, perhaps too smooth, strongly alcoholic barley wine, rich port texture, brandy nose and flavor, bit bland in some ways (BLAND, no just lacking in character for this, one of the great beer styles), finishes on the bitter side. I’ll try another one when its a year older.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ARMed (613) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Excellent brew. Lacks the head and lacing that I would like but otherwise very flavorful. I am normally not a big fan of barley wines but this is one to have! It is a dense complex malt ruby red brew. Excellent flavor and very satisfying. Drink slowly to savor the flavor. The aroma is of plums and apricots. The beer tastes like a 15 year tawny port. This is obviously one that will improve with age. Set aside for a couple of years and drink in the late autumn in front of a warm fire while eating cheese and maple coated brie.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 11, 2002
pours a beautiful deep ruby with no head. boozy, hard candy aroma. cherry, raisin and brown sugar flavours. hops not overpowering. tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
obxdude10 (2102) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2002
Certainly is on the malty side, just like the description says, very floral aroma, very nice & smooth finish, definitely a barley wine I could use to get through the upcoming winter

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 27, 2002

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dominion (78) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 7, 2002
My first barley wine and the title is what i turned in to after 2. My buddy on the board Wilecat and i had them. A strong flavor and it has every bit of 11.1% in it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - AUG 29, 2002
Nice. Rich and strong, nice, sweet brandy nose. Strong flavor, some deep ripe fruitiness and port wine. Noticeably strong but, at 11.1%, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
stormking (23) - Cuddy, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2002
now I know why I felt woozy after two. I knew it had some kick when I tasted it, but wow. Malt is with you the whole time. Couldn’t nail down the fruit flavor. Tried it for the name, glad I did.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 17, 2002
Whoah Boy. I think a just got whiplash after my head snapped back from a whiff of this. The malts just took a swing at me, but i managed to knock a few back. Excellent barley wine the alcohol taste was a well hidden bonus in the la la land of malt character in this. Hints of sweet fruit and much more. I’ll be back for some more rounds.