overall

RATINGS: 1626   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Fast on the heels of our fantasticly reformulated Hops Infusion, our brewers have picked up the gauntlet and brewed a Double IPA using exclusively Simcoe(R) Hops! This west coast Hops was created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc. and carries a fantastic flavor profile abounding with citrusy-grapefruit, piney, resiny notes that pushes this Double IPA over the top. 9.0% ABV in the brew gives it a nice malt foundation as well. Draft and bottles, 12 oz. in PA, 22 oz. out of state (as we have no 6-packs),

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 6, 2007
Pours a pink hued crystal clear rich red amber to brown with a healthy white head dwindling slowly. The nose is fantastic, even on a day when my nose is less clear than usual. The rich sweet malt and thick resinous hops each loom large enough to balance each other out. Piney resin and grapefruit are melded with alcohol to the rich malt backbone. Notes of caramel. The beer isnít over carbonated, and yet has enough viscosity to be nice on the palate. Slight alcohol warming post swallowing. The foam on this beer is even bitter. Nearly as bitter as Moylander was. Big rich malt backbone slathered with grapefruit bitter hops. Pine resin is clearly present. The finish is smooth and creamy and sweet with alcohol, while the aftertaste brings back that deep grapefruit seed bite. As this brew warmed, I was picking up some wintergreen notes in the hops, though not the detriment of the beer, surprisingly. Rather enjoyable to say the least.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 6, 2007
Piney, orangey, hopalicious fun. Interesting to see that only one hop variety was used and I am not sure Iíd ever even heard of Simcoe before this brew. Interesting and worth another go.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nephilium (1662) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JAN 4, 2007
This starts out with the scent of Simcoe hops (shocking I know). Pours a slightly cloudy amber, with a thick, slightly tan, lasting head with good lacing. The flavor is of the hops balanced upon a strong sweet malt. It starts off kicking in with the flavor of citrus zest mixed with pine, fades into a hint of sweet, and finishes with a nice long bitter taste. The alcohol in this beer is amazingly well hidden (making it a dangerous one). The beer has a nice thick, slightly oily palate. This is up there with the best IIPAís Iíve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - JAN 4, 2007
I was really looking foward to tasting these since I love Simcoe hops in my beer. Big frothy head that mostly lasted. Heavy hops aroma, with pine, citrus, and of course, grapefruit. Very distincly Simcoe. Nice mouthfeel that coats the tongue. Long after taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - JAN 2, 2007
Served at the 1/1 gathering at Radio Maria, Champaign. Thanks Tom! Amazing to me that only one hop is used and this complexity is achieved. Notes of peach and tropical fruit on the nose lead into a good balance of sweetness and hops. Some chamomile and honey notes apparent. Solid, and hides the 9 ABV well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
johnykat (65) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2006
NIce IIPA. Very nice. The hops are upfront as they should be. The hops have the piney/citrus taste that they should. There is enough malt there to back the hops up though. The flavors are very nice as they range from peach, to tropical to bannana. I really enjoyed this beer and I think this is one people should seek out. Weyerbacher has made it a year round beer and that is good news for all!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - DEC 31, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2007 (22 oz bottle from <A HREF=http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/maryland/baltim target=blank>Wells Discount Liquors) Hop lovers delight...Pours slightly cloudy medium-light amber/orange with about one finger of light orangey-biege head. Pungent aroma of fresh pine. As head recedes some candy malt sweetness comes through. Mouthfeel smooth, lightly sticky on back end. Heavy sheets of lacing. Flavor is piney and malty sweet. Pretty well-balanced but piney hops are predominant flavor. More smooth than sharp. Medium bitter. Alcohol well-hidden but definitely has a "big beer" feel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 30, 2006
Bottle, at Kookfest, September 2006. Hazy, dark amber colour. I must be developing a resistance to big US IPAs because Iím finding "not as extreme as I expected" appearing in my notes with increasing regularity. And I wrote those words for this beer. Now, Iím not saying it isnít big and hoppy, because it is. And the grapefruit and pine is there. But the bitterness was not over the top and it drunk very smoothly for me. If anything, I found it a little sweet. But I enjoyed it very much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Pours clear reddish brown (or deep golden if you like) with a big frothy beige head. The hop aromatics are grapefruit, lemon/lime, and a bit of celery. Pine and resin not what you might expect from advertising. There are noticeable caramel underpinnings. The beer is full-bodied, thick, and rich, a delightful palate. The beer has a striking flavor as well, unlike anything I recall. The hop bitterness combines with a strong malt backbone in a unique way. I can only describe it as a weird bready-vegetable combo, but I like vegetables and I mean this positively. I just canít put my finger on it. The beer displays relatively controlled acidity and bitterness with a big malt support. The finish is long, bittering and dry. I like this a lot.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
coldbrewky (1673) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Bomber: Pours a deep golden and produces a rocky frothy head like the Delaware river in flood. Pungent citrusy aroma from three feet away. That should give you some idea of the hoppiness of this critter. Hops thru and thru. It actually gets hoppier the more it breathes. Body buttery and smoothly fullbodied yet tart, crisp and malty at the same time. Dont buy just one of them. Actually a bit too hoppy for my tastes but a fine, fine beer.