Weyerbacher Hefeweizen

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 71   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.71   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Crisp and refreshing, light and flavorful, Weyerbacher HefeWeizen is a fantastic summertime quencher and the perfect companion for almost any food. The beautiful translucent gold color together with a hint of banana and cloves in the nose tells you this is a beer true to the Bavarian style. We brew it with 50% wheat malt and bottle it unfiltered, so you’ll notice great body and a smooth, slightly nutty flavor. The finish is light and refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2002
This must be had fresh at the brewery to have the full effect. I agree that it is between a helles and a dunkel, and it leans toward an English style in hop flavor.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Aubrey (3431) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Mmmh? Some of these previous posts contradict what I detected. Maybe I had a bad bottle? Probably just differing opinions. Anyway, I found its appearance to be not unlike unfiltered apple juice (except that apple juice has more head). I didn’t detect a big ’cidery’ flavor. I thought it had a wet cardboard-like nose. Heavy, syrupy mouthfeel. Silky, yet had a needle-like, tingly carbonation that comes out of left field. Sticky and sweet; not refreshing. Flavor is bitter-sweet, and that’s not necessarily in a good way. Not very complex or interesting. Noticed a little clove, and a slight banana flavor, but not very distinctive. Won’t buy again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 20, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2003 Much better than last years edition. Clove dominates the nose while banana is most evident on the palate. Good carbonation. A fun summer beer.

Nate (3710) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 1, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2009 Maybe I got a really good batch on tap at the PA MicroFest, but I really liked this Hefe. Beautiful wheaty, banana aroma. Cloudy and pale. Smooth, watery palate. Banana and wheat taste, very clean with no cidery taste at all.

0.9
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
quiksilverxtc99 (99) - USA - MAR 9, 2002
German wheat? Delbomber had it right, cidary in taste. Another wheat blunder by an AMerican brewery.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 30, 2001
If I’m in the mood for cider (NOT LIKELY!), I’ll drink cider, not a a cider masquerading as a wheat beer. Pumpkin, pear, and apple in the nose, accompanied by a dry, hard apple-cider like taste and feel. Cloudy, golden brown with no head. I think the people up in Pottstown, PA need to take a look at our style guide. This is definitely not a ’German Wheat’.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 27, 2001
Orange with a quick, lacey head. Smells like a hefe with apple juice added. Tastes like a hard cider, which I would normally enjoy, but not while I am drinking a wiess bier.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 14, 2001
Good aroma, nice and clovey. My only complaint is that it’s too dark to be a helles hefeweizen, but too light to be a dunkel; perhaps a ’Grenzeweizen’ (boundary-wheat...)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 10, 2001
A decent hefeweizen - mild citrusy flavor not too overpowering.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 3, 2001
I felt this tasted similar to their Blanche. I think I just don’t really like the style of these 2 beers.