overall

RATINGS: 1239   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
This is an incredibly intriguing ale is made by aging our Old Heathen Imperial Stout in oak barrels that were used for making fine Kentucky bourbon! The result is an extraordinary, dark, and mysterious stout whose very essence has been enhanced. The aroma is filled with vanilla, cocoa, and roasted coffee beans. This silky-smooth brew has notes of oak, whiskey, roasted barley and vanilla that meld together on the tongue to create an incredible sensation. Heresy is released in February.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Boutip (5862) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 2, 2005
Bottle (courtesy of Hopdog): Poured a pitch-black color ale with a huge dark brown head with average retention. Aroma is overpowered by whisky with small traces of vanilla that are still discernable. Taste is also overpowered by the whisky aging and leaves little place to the rest of the beer. I couldn’t find any chocolate/coffee taste that I usually like from Imperial Stout. Also, the warming alcohol feel really doesn’t do it for me. Full body and rally good carbonation, which is bit surprising from an Imperial Stout. Too bad I didn’t like that one and I probably should have started by the Old Heathen.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 30, 2005
Dark brown/black pour. frothy dark tan head that immediately dissipates into nothing. Roasted chocolate grapes vanilla bourbon aroma.Taste, kind of thin for the aroma. Big roasty vanilla, some slight bourbon notes. As it warms, bourbon and overall flavor becomes more pronounced. The bourbon seems to overtake this beer after a while, but to me its still got decent balance. This is pretty good stuff. But I should have drank Old Heathen first... would be a good comparison.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 24, 2005
22oz bomber - Pours black as night with and thick. A nice 3/8 inch tan milkshake-like head clings to the side of the glass. Oak wood and bourbon can be detected in the aroma and a faint vanilla aroma also touched my nose. Flavor is complex... Some wood, smoke, bourbon, roasted malts, a touch of vanilla and even some fruits can all be tasted. Overall it is quite a roasy flavor that blends well with the creamy palate. On the palate is is fairly thick and coats your mouth like a milkshake. Finishes a little dry but a very tasty and delicious stout. Not as sweet as other imperials that I’ve had and it actually finishes with some sort of sour flavor. But it certainly doesn’t lack in taste. I enjoyed this one!

DarkElf (3051) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAY 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2005 (22 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with Eyedrinkale, thanks Mike!) Okay, so I’m a sucker for bourbon barrel aged beers. I love the aroma and I love the flavor of these beers, and this one is no exception. Oddly enough, I don’t like bourbon. But anyway, the nose features those classic oak and whiskey aromas that I can just sit and sniff all day long. Behind this is a moderate sweetness, and also a relatively gentle roastiness that you just don’t notice unless you try. Moving onto the flavor, first I must admit, while I liked the Old Heathen, I found it a bit too dry for my tastes, and so, it shouldn’t be a surprise that I would prefer Heresy to be less dry as well. And especially for an oak-aged stout, I just have this thing where sweeter stouts just seem to work better for me with oak aging. So while I like the flavor of this beer a lot, I think it would be better if the base (Old Heathen) was sweeter. No question that Heresy is sweeter than the very dry Old Heathen, but Heresy is still pretty dry in the finish too. Moderately roasty and bitter, but lacking the smokiness in the finish. Overall, I think the flavor is more balanced, less one-dimensional, more enjoyable. Medium "plus" body, a bit smoother on the palate than Old Heathen. Same color as Old Heathen, very dark brown, but not quite black. Dark tan head seems a bit lighter in color than with Old Heathen, and certainly pours smaller and fades faster. Oak aging makes Heresy my favorite Imperial Stout from Weyerbacher, but none of them are world class. Very good stuff, but there’s definite room for improvement.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joeec5 (204) - bayonne, New Jersey, USA - MAY 18, 2005
i think this is good, but a little too heavy on the bourbon for me. THis was perhaps my first bourbon.oak aged beer about a year ago or so. Intense bourbon aroma and flavor, and im not a big bourbon fan, but in small quantities this is neat stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Pailhead (6386) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - MAY 17, 2005
Bottle: Courtesy of Styles. Lots of vanilla in the aroma with bourbon and some light chocolate and very light roasted coffee that struggels to get by the vanilla. Pours a dark brown, virtually black with a small tan ring for a head. Just like the aroma, flavor has a lot of vanilla and some bourbon. Light chocolate and light roastiness. Not a whole lot of coffee. A touch of sourness in the finish. Does not come across like an Imperial.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Damion (11) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 16, 2005
You are beautiful, makes me feel good inside. Sensing a small ammount of apple, oak, holds onto the glass well. Weak flavor, expected more strength. Good taste, chocolate, coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 16, 2005
22 oz bottle: dark shale with bronzed edges. Moderate light tan and tight bubbled foam quickly dies into the edges. Smoky carbon aromatics mix with subtle vanilla, toasted caramel creams and dusty dark chocolate. Strong whiskied-alcohol notes come close at times to burning my nose hairs, but there is sweetness (raspberries) buried in the aroma that ends up rounding it out…sharp oak flavours assail the tongue and a lack of carbonation doesn’t help. The body is thin, strangely syrupy and does deliver some decent chocolate truffle and oak laden strawberry flavours, but overall I am not too impressed – I guess I should have assumed this was that fairly mediocre Old Heathen settled in Whiskey oak for a while, but hey – I had great company tonight, so this was a-okay!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAY 14, 2005
Large tan head that’s lasting on the edge. Nose of vanilla, anise, roasty chocolate. The chocolate coffee body fills the palate. Finishes on the bitter side.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thedm (5617) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 9, 2005
This bottled brew poured a beautiful large sized foamy head of mostly lasting finely sized dark brown colored bubbles that left behind an opaque black body with no visible carbonation and a poor lacing. The aroma contained notes of sweet sugary dark chocolate malts and raisins. The mouth feel was tingly from start to finish with a dark malt hop coffee chocolate flavor. It was very good and drinkable, but would be enhanced with a few more flavors.