overall

RATINGS: 1051   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices(Cinnamon,Nutmeg,Cardamom,Cloves). This 8.0% ABV pumpkin ale is heartier, spicier, and more caramelly and pumpkiny than its faint brethren! Perfect finisher on a cool autumn night, or match it up with a slice of pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream. If you don't agree this is the mother of all pumpkin ales, then you just don't like mothers!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 22, 2005
Clear, amber body with a fluffy, off-white head. Sweet, spicy aroma showing all the elements of pumpkin beer and pumkin pie. Pumpkin is evident, as is caramel, cinnamon, clove and allspice. Not extremely thick or velvety, but smooth and easy drinking, especially for an 8% beer. The flavors really show the sweetness and the spicy character of the beer. I think the alcohol is well hidden. The sweetness and spice are strong and dominate, but donít manhandle you and ask for mercy. The sweetness really drops of and gives way to the spice and a mild dryness. Iím not a pumpkin ale kind of person, but if you were going to tie me down and force me to drink one, this is easily my choice. Thanks Steve!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
MartinT (7779) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 21, 2005
The Lure:
Bold nutmeg spiciness lathers the pumpkin pith. Spicy sweetness and carbonation levels resemble soft drinks when warming up. Well-done for its intent, but it is this particular intent which does not reach me.

The Festivities:
Roasted pumpkin seeds and the frail mouthfeel in which they dwell first evoke a pumpkin wine, if such a spicy derivative existed. Nutmeg is the spice I perceive the most, but it is obviously not alone in its duties. The tiny but pugnacious bubbles and high levels of sweetness bring the pumpkin wine down to pumpkin soda after a while. Alcohol is well-hidden, but ultimately I still donít see the point of making an "imperial" pumpkin ale. Those who love pumpkin ales in general will probably love this though.

Transcendence:
Those weird candies you never ate after trick or treating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Arayaga2 (1775) - portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Orangey in appearance with even white head. Spicy smell and taste with prominent cinnamon and concentrated pumpkiny flavor. Perhaps a tad too bitter for my liking, but a fine seasonal product nonetheless. $5/22oz

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 17, 2005
22 oz bomber, thanks to my man slob for the trade! Pours hazy dark orangey amber with a small beige head. Aroma is definitely sweet and spicy, brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg. Flavor is actually good - especially compared to most other pumpkin ales Iíve tried. Again sweet and spicy, with flavors very much like the aroma and a pleasant astringent finish. Medium body and gentle carbonation. Another nice one from Weyerbacher and Bert!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JFGrind (1842) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 16, 2005
Sure there is nutmeg, but cloves and cinnamon spices are evident from the initial aroma and first sip. This offering from Weyerbacher had a pumpkin spiced flavor that overall had a malt creamniess to it. Light on the bitterness this is a well made beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - NOV 13, 2005
Big thanks to Rich for sending this one in a recent trade. normally I donít care that much for beers in the spice/herb/vegetable style, but this one was different, very different. thereís a local ice cream place here in the Quad-Cities that came out with a pumpkin shake several years ago that is outstanding. every time I brought the glass up to my face, I thought I had a pumpkin shake in my hand! Well done Weyerbacher!

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 8, 2005
Courtesy of Firemoose15. Many thanks for this one. <P> Aroma is huge. Nutmeg and Cloves dominates, but the other spices are there in the background. Reddish/orange with a huge fluffy white head. Wow this really does have some body to it. I always thought the problem with pumpkin ales is that it makes you think of pumpkin pie, which is creamy and thick, and all the beers are not. This does indeed taste like slice of pumpkin pie...complete with whip cream and you even get some bready pie crust in the finish. <P> I think this could even be creamier and still be very appealing to non-pumpkin beer drinkers, but stillt his is far and away the best pumpkin beer I have ever had and also the most "PUMPKIN" tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
aracauna (3052) - Georgia, USA - NOV 6, 2005
Clear reddish brown with an active head. The aroma is heavily spiced, but not really over spiced. Very malty caramel. High viscocity, but not disgustingly so. Intresting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 6, 2005
I thought I despised all pumpkin ale until I tried this one! The description above is right on. Itís sweeter and thicker, more of a real beer than the other two pumpkin aleís Iíve tried. A good pumpkin flavor with a slight floral or herbal finish. Goes down smooth where the other ones...go down the drain smooth.

YogiBeera (2464) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2005
Halloween 2005 - though Iím usually not a big fan of pumpkin Ale - this just turned me on. I guess you gotta like it otherwise the big bad guys from Easton come and get me and tar and feather me because I donít like mothers. Deep red color with a small layer of a head - yo mother. Of course pumpkin nose with a nice dosis of nutmeg and star anise.Taste is - yo mother - pumpkin, lotís of cinnamon, cardamon and apple cider. As it warms up nutmeg comes through. Like a crisp cold but wonderful sunny autumnday. :-)