RATINGS: 1045   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
Insanity, first released November 2004, is Weyerbacher's latest creation in the world of cutting edge beers. Insanity is made by aging our perfectly balanced Blithering Idiot Barleywine in oak bourbon casks. This incredible combination creates a melange of flavors such as malt, dates, oak, vanilla, and bourbon just to name a few.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2006 Re-rate. 22 oz. bottle. Pours a cloudy pinkish brown with an off white 1.5 finger head. Aroma is very fruity with notes of vanilla, pine, and alchohol. Flavor is strong of alcohol, sweet burnt caramel that fades into toffee, nuts, and hops. Big mouthfeel with this one. Very good. I agree that it some how is better in 22 oz. than 12 oz.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - DEC 8, 2005
Pours red-orange with a half-finger white head. The first impression of the aroma is raisin and sweet malt. The oak and bourbon aromas are subtle, but add a clear burnt wood and vanilla character. The flavor starts off promising, much smoother than the Blithering Idiot, but that doesn’t last long. The middle is hot and malty, with that raisin creeping in around the corners. The bourbon aging comes through at the end with some mellow wood and whiskey notes. The finish is oaky, with some light alcohol flavor. Better than the original, but not worth it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
alobar (3224) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 3, 2005
Dark reddish color with a tan head. Arma of bourbon, vanilla and wood. Tastes of much the same with some alcohol hot edge. A great beer to have on special occasions.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
chilehead (186) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Enjoyed with elnadeau. Pours warm red/auburn with a thick well structured head. Cedar notes, body was perfect for the strength of the brew, silky without being sticky. Creamy oak finish with cherries. The Manhattan of beer! I loved it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - NOV 22, 2005
Bottle via trade with kramer17801. Dated 01/05 by Jason. So, there’s a bit of a chill in our clear, California skies. So I opened all the windows to get me into the mood and hit my cellar (the cabinets in the garage) to get me a good barley wine. For some reason, this one jumped out at me; maybe it’s because of the name and the fact that my wife and I just had an offer accepted on a house and I feel just a bit insane these last few days. The pour is a deep brown with a bubbly off-white head. Aromas of vanilla and brown sugar leap out as I pour it. When I put the glass to my nose more vanilla, sugar, wine, chocolate and caramel fill my nose. If I concentrate I can smell a Twix bar in there among other things. Once I decide to move on to the taste I’m hit first with the sweetness and the alcohol. There’s some chocolate and caramel notes in the flavor as well, there’s also some bourbon, oak and even a bit of hoppy bitterness. I can’t go so far as to say this hides it’s alcohol well but if you can’t hide it you SHOULD flaunt it! I find the alcohol to be the largest part of the flavor dynamic for me as it hits early in the flavor then returns as a warming aftertaste. Moments after each sip there is a slight astringency left on the tongue. If there’s any fault with this beer I’d have to point out the carbonation is a bit rough on the palate. But then again, if I had to point it out, Cindy Crawford has a mole on her face. The perfect beer for my mood this evening. Cheers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MullMan (1099) - New York, USA - NOV 21, 2005
dark ruby color, creamy light tan head. aroma is a little sherry, sweet malt, and port/cabernet. high carbonation, sweet malt but not syrupy. some caramel and brandy malt flavor too. sweet and bitter finish. pleasant surprise.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 21, 2005
The bourbon stands out in the aroma. Cloudy brown with orange hues. No head. Bourbon, vanilla, dark and sweet fruits. I think I like the barleywine beneath the bourbon. I’d like to try the Blithering idiot right next to this to see how much of the base beer is getting past the bourbon. I think I like would really like this without the bourbon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sregnar35 (1031) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Not my favorite style I guess, too much vanilla. It’s flavor is vanilla dominant, and it impedes other flavors from coming through. Still pretty enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hershiser2 (1571) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - NOV 16, 2005
22-oz bottle. Very pretty dark amber with a beige head. Sweet alcohol and fruitiness in the nose. Strange dark fruits in the flavor- quite pleasant... some maltiness, and definite alcohol. Finishes with a cough-syruplike flavor. I do enjoy this one, but wouldn’t seek it out on a regular basis.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ratman197 (11790) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - NOV 13, 2005
12 oz bottle poured a clear apricot with a small amber head. Aromas of apricots, light bourbon, and oak. Palate was medium bodied and slightly dry. Flavors of light bourbon, apricots,vanilla and carmel with a dry mildly sweet finish.