overall

RATINGS: 930   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 279   ABV: 9.3%
Formerly Weyerbacher Belgian Triple.
At Weyerbacher we've recreated a Belgian Trippel without limitation. We use premium Pilsener malts, candi-sugar, and yeast strains- all imported from Belgium. To be true to the style, our Trippel is bottle conditioned. This means we add a bit of candi-sugar and yeast just prior to bottling. This imparts a special effervescence to the beer, a creamier carbonation, and also extends the shelf life. The on-going fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages, and you'll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures -around 55 degrees F- and away from light.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 4, 2004
Mirky golden color with a short lived white somewhat lacy head. Fruity aroma. Rather sweet and fruity tasting with a less than expected malty or yeasty component. Finishes wet, sweet, noticeably sour, and mildly bitter. Good if you are in the mood for sweet and sour. Otherwise not one of the best tripels.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DocLock (7860) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 27, 2004
A good triple. Belgian dubbels and triples are not my favorite styles, but I have to commend Weyerbacher on this brew. It's super malty, very alcoholic, and has overtones of citrus, yeast, sugar candy, and riesling. I found it to be too sweet and a little cloying, but I respect what they have accomplished with this one. I laid 6 down, and I will re-rate after a year or so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimhilt (2403) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 26, 2004
Pours with a three-finger white head that fades quickly and leaves a good lace. Cloudy, golden amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is hoppy; Starts with a good balance of malts and hops, finishes crisp and clean with some hoppy aftertaste. $2.10 for a 12oz bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DYCSoccer17 (3320) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 11, 2004
Pours tranparent blonde with mild haziness. Pours virtually flat with a very small and very brief white head. Um, something is definitely wrong here. Sour aroma, flat flat and flat...tastes like a pilsener. Something definitely wrong here. I will need to re-rate this thing. I will give it a token "average" rating in the meantime.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2004
UPDATED: APR 18, 2005 Cloudy tangerine color with above average head. Classic Belgian bread aroma. Flavors of candy, bananas and yeast. A great take by an American brewery to make a Belgian Triple.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JFGrind (1844) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Merry Monk is a good looking cloudy, golden ale. Initial aroma is sour and the tartness is evident throughout sampling this beer. Not a bad beer, but not a good triple.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Poured a cloudy honey color with a thick white head of foam that settles down to a thin layer. Yeast is prominent in the aroma along with clove and a slight citrus. Creamy mouthfeel that is very effervescent and crisp which is true to the style. Alcohol is well hidden in this ale which is always a good thing. Flavor is very wheat malt like. Almost a cross between a Wit and a Tripel. Pleasant none the less. Overall a really well made Tripel and one I'd drink again if given the chance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sturgess (173) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 19, 2004
This was the worst out out of the big beer sampler..but I'm not a big fan of golden ale's in general...good % though

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Cidery sour aroma. Taste is like a ligher lambic, appley, lightly sour, moderately dry with hints of lemon and finishes lightly bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2004
First review on RB: At the pour, I was intimidated by the strong alcoholic aroma and the excessive "junk" at the bottom of the bottle. I soon realized these both contributed to a full, round, satisfying flavor. There is a bit of banana that came through that I could live without. But the sugar I found pleasing. Very good stuff. I look forward to trying the other bottle I purchased in a few months.