White Birch Apprentice Series AKU

(RETIRED)
White Birch Apprentice Series AKU
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
The California Common style is a hybrid of a German Lager and an American Ale. For Geoff’s beer he’s honored that tradition by uniting the best of each style. The result is a flavorful ale that is nicely hopped and sessionable. AKU = All Kinds United. As Geoff moves on, we raise a toast and hope you enjoy this beer as much as we do.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mcox90 (1563) - Wilton, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 22, 2012
22 oz bottle. Pours an amber red with a thin beige head. Light malty aroma with hints of earth and grass. Semi sweet flavor. Moderate bodied with a mildly bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AirForceHops (3309) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 30, 2012
22oz bottle. Botled May 2012. Batch 1. Bottle count of 1296. Used a taster glass, because that’s all we had. Very murky amber/ brown color. Very Earthy lightly hopped taste at first, then slowly mellows to a sweetness. The yeast is noticeable with lots of roasted grain. Reminds me a lot of a German lager. Different mouthfeel and body. Hard for me to describe what I taste with this beer. This “steam” beer is very interesting. I wonder if they used an open fermentation process with this? I’m going to buy another bottle and explore this some more. I’m intrigued.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
johnnnniee (2342) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Pours a slightly cloudy deep reddish copper color with a stingy off white head that dissipates quickly, but manages to stick some lace to the sides. The smell is rich dark caramel, burnt sugars, and melanoidin with a toffee like sweetness. Nice dark dried fruits like raisins and prunes in there as well with a bit of a floral earthy edge. Honestly this smells more like a nice scotch ale than a cal common. The taste is sweet and malty with lots of bready and dark sugar flavor. There’s a bit of prune and raisin in there as well as some earthy bitterness to balance some of the sweet. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet smokey mouthfeel. I did enjoy this beer, its very flavorful and well made. Cal common is a stretch for what is in my glass.