overall

RATINGS: 42   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Adam Romanow is our third brewer apprentice. His release is an exploration into a newer beer style, the Black IPA. Black as night, bitter, with a full flavored Cascade hop profile and smooth finish. Named after Nyx, the mythological Greek goddess of night, who stood at the beginning of creation. As a beginning, we agree Adam is on to something. As he moves on, we raise a toast and hope you enjoy his beer as much as we do.

New description from the bottle:
Pray, friends, to the greek goddess of the night, a figure of exceptional power and beauty who stood at the beginning of creation.

When Nyx was originally released as part of out Apprentice Series in 2011, she quickly became one of our most sought after and requested beers. Now reborn into our permanent lineup, she roams the houses and glasses of discerning beer drinkers every autumn. This American Black Ale is as black as night, bitter, with a complex, bracing hop profile.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
riversideAK (5560) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - OCT 8, 2011
Patent malt roasty dark malt nose, floral hops, a little inky. Pours black, tan head. Nice and roasty, slightly acrid, nice bitterness. Floral earthy bitter. Good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 28, 2011
Appearance: pours black and thick, forming an espresso crema head also thick and delicious. Slow stream of bubbles trace the sides of my clean glass. Lace sticks and crawls and tempts.
Nose: dry and roasted with coffee beans, freshly drawn espresso, and burnt caramel. Black earth and twigs. Singed whole hop cones in the back. Chocolate bark and bakers chocolate.
Palate: clean and lovely. Burnt sweetness up front, dry earthen singed hops in the back, smooth and frothy along the sides. Bakers chocolate and espresso crema mingle. Tobacco leaf. Old tired brush and shrubs. Chocolate in the middle. Driest along the edges with delectable burnt acridity.
Final Thoughts: holy moly. Of the bottle beers my Love and I bought during our Massachusetts trip, this beer was by far in the top three. I’d heard pleasant rumblings about White Birch online so I was hoping for good but instead I got great. Bottle Specs: bottled April 2011 from batch 1 of a bottle count totaling 1065.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Reynolds314 (2095) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 3, 2011
This is a great black IPA. Adam sampled us a taste of his Black IPA and it is one of my favorites of the style. Really well made with a great ashy roasty kick and a solid hop background that sticks around a bit. Tasty and flavorful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SudsMcDuff (5660) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JUL 27, 2011
yes! another black ipa, moo! .. . Pours a basic black, light head, light lacing .. . mostly roast, tar, and burnt pine .. . a pretty good beer but lacks any backbone or real character.. . I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
oteyj (2127) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 25, 2011
A black pour with a huge frothy tan head. I must say it looks pretty nice! The nose holds huge evergreen and citrus notes with hints of nectar fruits and resin. The malt character is roasty with hints of caramel. The flavor holds tons of resin and earthen soil like hops with huge roast, some char, and some lactic sugars. The palate is uber thick, while the carbonation is creamy and fine bubbled. I was really impressed by this effort, as I’ve been systematically disappointed by many White Birch brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
puboflyons (1883) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 16, 2011
From batch one bottled in April 2011. It pours as black as a cave from the Lost River of New Hampshire with a nice half inch, long-lasting, silky brown head. Excellent lacing. The aroma is full of dark baking chocolate, a yeasty maltiness, and a piney, earthy hoppiness. The body starts out light on the tongue but seems to get bolder as I swallow it. There is not as much chocolate in the flavor but it is elegantly replaced by a dark fruity sensation but not overly bitter. It has a long hoppy finish. Wonderful example of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
AirForceHops (2722) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 26, 2011
Bottled Apr 2011, batch 1. Thick full mocha head that was very fluffy. Slow die down. Good lace. Looks like a nicely pored stout. Nose of Hops , resin and chocolate with some malt. Nice flavor of roast, sweet chocolate, with lots of bitterness. As the brew warms, tons of bitterness comes through. Great balance. A great example of this style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeardBeerGuy (21) - stoughton, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 13, 2011
Aroma; roasty, bread, chocolate, coffee, floral, spruce, citrus, resin, leather, earthy, raisin, licorice, Appearence: black, rocky head, frothy, brown foam, porter esque Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, a good expression of black ipa. Palate: medium body, sticky, lively, bitter, long finish, Overall: Definitive for the style. An excellent example. Nice job Adam.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimhilt (2377) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 7, 2011
Pours a one finger brown head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights, yeast left in bottle. Light-medium carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Light pine hop nose. Flavor is roasted coffee and pine hops. Unusual black ale, the 103 IBUs are balanced by the malts. Lingering bitter aftertaste. Bottled Apr 2011, batch 1. $7.99 for a 22oz bottle, from Concord Cooperative Concord, NH.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johnnnniee (2039) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 22, 2011
I had this at the open house and today decided to open one of the bottles I bought then. Pours a solid black color with a fluffy khaki head that slowly recedes to a ring on top. Smells of roast and hints of chocolate mixed with pine and citrus and a slight bit phenols. Taste is roasty with dark chocolate and hint of molasses. Bitter piney hop resin cuts through the roast very nicely. The finish leaves a long lingering hop and roasted grain thickly on my palette. Medium to thick body, moderate level of carbonation, creamy resinous mouthfeel. I seemed to notice the roasted grains a lot more from this bottle than I remember from the open house. Its possible a little age brought the roast out a little more. This beer blurs that line between IPA and stout in fact if you gave me this and told me it was a hoppy stout I wouldn’t have argued with you. Tasty brew no matter what you call it.