White Birch Oak Aged Pilot Project

(RETIRED)
White Birch Oak Aged Pilot Project
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 354   ABV: 11.8%
This beer was created to answer the question: What would happen if we took one of our favorite recipes and aged it on Riesling oak chips? The result is a delightful balance of oak, wine and pleasantly soft Belgian esters. Let us know if you enjoy it as much as we do. We may make it as a regular offering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
johnnnniee (2312) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 6, 2012
Batch 1 12/30/2009 I ran into another bottle of this, so this time it gets a review because I donít think Iíll get another shot at this one. Pours a mostly clear light golden color with a decent bone white head that shows great retention but little lace. Smells peppery and lightly fruity with pomme fruits, a bit of candy sugar and that spicy Belgian yeast ester. The wood aging doesnít seem to have survived the aging other than a hint of vanilla. The flavor is sweet upfront with light sweet juicy fruits, light sharp peppery spicy flavors, a hint of vanilla and a touch of tannin. Medium to thin body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. I enjoyed this a bit more this time, I think age has mellowed some of the rough edges I remember form last time. I would like a bit more body, but that more of a personal preference than a flaw.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SamGamgee (2452) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - MAR 25, 2010
22oz bottle #16/30. Lightly hazy yellow color with a fluffy white head. Like David already mentioned, this stuff smells just like walking into a Jamba Juice, fruit, wheatgrass and all; but, I would add that there is a fusel alcohol bite that reminds me of some industrial cleaner just having been used to clean the counters or something. It gives an overall hot and messy impression, with funky esters. The flavor gives off the same character, with a medium sweetness and generous oak and tannin flavors to go with it. The yeast profile tastes stressed and just plain odd, though I can see the Riesling having something to do with the odd fruity flavors. Alcohol is hot and high, with a sharp fusel character. Iím not sure if the fermentation just ran wild on this one, or if the Riesling is just adding that much weird fruity character and alcohol. This was tough to drink and pretty harsh by the end, but I can see another shot at this with a cleaner fermentation and less hot alcohol character turing out much better. Thanks to photomike for acquiring this rare experiment.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
illidurit (2146) - Petaluma, California, USA - MAR 21, 2010
Bottle out of just 30 made courtesy photomike. Pours pale gold with a thin filmy off-white head. Smells like walking into a Jamba Juice. Now, that has its pros and cons. Pros: tropical fruits, banana, apple, orange, tons of esters. Cons: cleaning agents, wheatgrass. Flavor is light, hard to pick up much character. Perfumey fusels, probably from the wine, some pear notes. Substantial astringency.