White Star Battleaxe

Formerly brewed at White Star
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
Southampton, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 1.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.32   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Cask; Regular, Bottle Conditioned 500ml
Battleaxe is a 4.6% abv is strong and full bodied. Somewhat darker again, it has a well balanced taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
oh6gdx (20619) - Vasa, FINLAND - JUL 25, 2010
Bottled. Amber colour, huge head, big particles of yeast floating around. Aroma is fruits, floral notes mild wooden notes as well as some acidic notes. Flavour is fruity, floral, a bit yeasty. Otherwise a quite nice thing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Mungo (2471) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - JUL 6, 2006
BCA (from Bottles of Botley). Certainly not the worst white star beer I’ve had but not great. Smoky caramelised malt flavours with slight sourness. Just about drinkable in a masochistic kind of way.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
leaparsons (8174) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - APR 13, 2006
Bottle. Golden, orange with floaties and an off-white foam. Aromas are caramel malts with toffee and sour fruit - I assumed it is tainted, although looking at the other ratings, possibly not. Flavours are sweet and sour with oranges. Fairly hoppy. Still seems tainted to me.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
imdownthepub (10468) - Banbury, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - NOV 10, 2005
Bottle Conditioned, 500ml. Flat orange brown, no head, cloudy. I had seen Gazza’s rating of this before I opened it and I was hoping that the BC version would be better, but no, there was a sharp acidic nose on opening and a flat sludgey liqued poured out, and yes I was very careful how it was poured. The beer was torpid, yeasty, heavy in tobacco type flavours and basically awful. I checked the BBE and it was April 2006 and it was stored (after purchase) in my normal place, this is just a bad beer and I couldn’t finish it, rare for me!!

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Gazza (726) - Worcester, Worcestershire, ENGLAND - NOV 10, 2004
Horrible phenolic burnt caramelised fluid bearing no resemblance to beer. (Cask from Babbington, Derby)