overall

RATINGS: 38   MEAN: 3.18/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Contract brewed for White Winter Winery by the South Shore Brewery.

ztrvz's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - JUN 11, 2007
sweet, burnt, malty aroma. amber with sufficient head... laces the glass nicely. tastes like...... a bitter apple core. sweetness up front, then a prolonged apple-seed-like bitterness which lingers in the mouth for quite some time. sort of unfair to compare this braggot to traditional, uncarbonated mead. its much better than the style percentile would indicate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BVery (6416) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 19, 2011
Bottle at White Winter Winery on Nov. 18, 2011. Amber pour, taste was caramel and earthiness. Wasnít my favorite on this stop, but it was okay.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 9, 2009
First time mead, sharing with my bro. Thanks to my co-worker for picking this up from the brewery. Pours an amber color with a thin bubbly off-white head. Aroma is caramel malts, aged wood, and some earthy peat. Taste is much like a barley wine with some peat and earthy characteristics. Quite enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Juelze (1138) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 9, 2009
First time with a mead. Pours a clear, dark ruddish-brown. Aroma is somewhat like a barley wine but with some vinuous aspects. Taste is some caramel, wood flavors, light vinuous flavors. Pretty close to barley wine with more wine aspects. Pretty drinkable and enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
noncaloric (684) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 26, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2009 I didnít really get the honey aspect of this, but if someone had raved about this as a great dopplebock, I would agree with them. Pours a deep clear red-brown, with a little bit of sediment and an ongoing effervescence. A large, rocky tan head deposits ring after ring of lace. Aroma is decidedly vinous, with port-wine elements. Cider and caramel also present. Flavor is rich and malty, raisins dominate. Gets spicy and slightly fusel in the middle, but here thatís somehow not a flaw. Cloves, citrus zest detectable. Finishes somewhat dry. Medium bodied, very lively mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MartiniFiend (104) - Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 28, 2008
Bottle. Dark amber with a large off white head. Lots of lacing. Sweet aroma of carmalized barley and hops. Thick palate. Flavor is a nice sweet start with a malty middle and a bitter sweet finish. This is by far the best mead I’ve ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Name: Traditional Brackett
Date: 02/01/2006
Mode: Bottle
Source: Tasting

clear amber, whispy off white head, spicy sweet honey aroma, huge dry honey flavor followed by an assult of bitter floral hops, tons of spicy character,

Aroma: 7/10; Appearance: 5/10; Flavor: 8/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 16/20
Rating: 3.7/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: **4

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Skyview (5209) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - JUL 10, 2007
The first beverage sampled at the RBSG í07 Grand Tasting. From 12-oz bottle, pours a clear burnt amber colro beverage with no head or lacing. Aroma of dry wood, caramel malt and some dark cherries. Taste is light carbonated, dry with a slight sour aftertaste. Not much honey in flavor or scent.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
JK (4475) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - JUN 28, 2007
RBSG 06. This was a mead I was looking forward too. Unfortunately it was bad. Dry and chalky. No honey or other sweetness at all. Orange color. it was still, like a mead should be.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 28, 2007
Sampled at the RBSG 07 Grand Tasting. This is my first Brackett and I canít say itís my favorite mead style. Honey and malt in the aroma but and the malt flavor, while not overpowering, did seem to dominate the honey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
islay (1132) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 26, 2007
Approximately 1.5 oz. sample at the Grand Tasting of the RateBeer Summer Gathering 2007 in the Twin Cities, MN on July 23, 2007. This was the third of 26 "beers" that I sampled and rated during the tasting. Iím about to confess something that is going to make me look pretty stupid: I did not know this was a mead when I tried this. I just thought it was a honey-flavored beer. Please take that into account when you read the review. If I had any clue I was drinking a mead, I might well have reacted differently to it. Itís funny that, as far as I know, this was my first mead ever, and I didnít even know it. Anyway... <P>Honey dominates the aroma. One dimensional, but nice. Pours a clear, gold-tinted amber/bronze with a small amount of near white head. Surprisingly bitter base. Tastes almost like a honey-flavored pale ale. If I didnít know better, and I didnít at the time I tried it, I would have called it hoppy. Too sweet for me. Odd, almost sour finish. Light to medium body. Smooth and frothy in the palate.