overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1362   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cstuartj (1019) - Washington, USA - JUL 12, 2004
This is my first Hefeweizen style beer. Wasn’t overly impressed but wasn’t aweful either. What really came through to me was the citrus background. I see a lot of people drink this w/ lemon, now I know why. Had this one from Tap w/out lemon or other adder.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
zach8270 (3863) - Henrietta, New York, USA - JUL 12, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2008 [draft - Jolly Roger - Kill Devil Hills, NC] Poured a light and hazy golden color with a thin and bubbly white head. Plain wheat aroma without much of the banana and citrus that accompany many other wheat beers. Kind of plain tasting, mainly water and wheat with a touch of yeast. The only citrus came from the orange that was resting on the rim of the glass.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5523) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 4, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2006 I tried this one twice to make sure that I was right about this one. This has to be one of the worst wheat beers I have ever encountered. Sampled from a 12 oz bottle the beer poured a cloudy orange-gold color with a minimal white head. The appearance was decent at least. The aroma is of sour dry grain. The flavor was dry and nondescript. Vaguely wheaty but overall dominated by the sour macro flavor BMC has made us all familiar with. The body was light and flowed gracefully down my sink without struggle. My wife noted that it smelled and tasted like cat pee. I chose not to debate that point with her.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
punkeedo (498) - Covington, Louisiana, USA - JUN 27, 2004
A good beer--cloudy in appearance adn taste. A complex palate with hints of wheat, malt, and caramel, maybe? I good hefeweizen for hefeweizen lovers.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
DYCSoccer17 (3490) - Woodland, California, USA - JUN 24, 2004
Draught. No discrenable aroma--disappointing. Cloudy color of light apple cider with small yellowish head. Bland taste. some malty character with some light citrus hints. Tastes like a super carbonated molson or something.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hab40oz (242) - Grants Pass, Oregon, USA - JUN 20, 2004
Pours a cloudy yellow in color, good head with light lacing. slighly hoppy aroma, with a great and refreshing wheaty teng compliment its smoothness and drinkability.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DocLock (8530) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2004
Draft at Green Leafe Tavern in Williamsburg, VA. Poured turbid straw colored, with aroma of citrus, yeast, wheat, banana, hops. Tastes citrusy, yeasty, with a smooth finish. Banana, cloves, hops, malt, and citrus were present at the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2299) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2005 Re-rate. 6/29/05. Almost exactly a year since I first rated this and I have no recollection of it. Otherwise I would have ordered something else at Old Chicago (Eden Prairie, MN). They were busy putting in a new public internet terminal, and had we been there a day later I would have been able to check to see if I had rated it or not. Oh well. I actually really enjoyed this, enough to follow up a 10 oz. mug with a 25 oz. glass, sandwiched around a Red Hook Blonde (also unfortunately a re-rate). My rating this time around is remarkably similar to last time. Flavor, Palate and Overall all went up 1 point. I am reflecting these new scores in the rating. The old ones from 2004 are: Ar 6, Ap 4, Fl 6, Pal 4, Ov 14. Citrus aroma with some wheat, but this is more like a soft Belgian wit than a Hefe. Cloudy orange body with frothy white head. Unfiltered. Very nice lace; smallish, not very lasting head. Dry and doughy with some bitterness. Very tasty and with good session quality. Really good. I don’t taste and banana or clove. True weissbier fans will be disappointed, but as a summer refresher, this is one of the better ones out there. 6/13/04: Sweet peach/apricot aroma. Orange body with thin, white ehad. Good, thick appearance. Not much lace, however. Somewhat bitter and dry. This is a hefe? More like an ale. Not bad. Just not a hefe. Citrus & grapefruit notes. Nice flavor. Very nice, dry, hoppy afterbite. Different for a hefe, but good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - JUN 11, 2004
Very nice Lemon citrus flavor. Nice head out of bottle. Looks and acts like a superior beer. Occluded as a wheat should be. Not much bitter. Doesn’t really need it. Another great West Coast product. I will definitely be accumulating more Widmer in future trades and orders from Retailers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - JUN 11, 2004
A pretty good hefeweizen for an american brewer. If you know a newcomer to beer drinking and want to introduce them to hef’s this one might fit the bill.