overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1289   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Bottle. Poured hazy golden-orange color with a small white head. Looks right for a hef. Aroma smelled more like a typical lager with a little lemon added to me. It seemed to be missing those luscious pineapple, banana and tropical fruit notes of the German brews of this style. Flavor was nice though, Sweet with a little tartness, wheat notes and mild floral hops with a fruity finish. Medium body and moderate carbonation. All in all a good summer beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUL 26, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2004 Rerate: I must have samplead a bad batch when I first tried this. Gave it another try and liked it a little more. Original Rating: Looks just like a Mimosa - cloudy, orange and fizzy. Huge head. I took two sips and poured it out. This tastes like a mixture of Budweiser & orange juice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - JUL 25, 2003
Gold in color with a foam head.Tastes very heavy on the wheat but that is it.Nothing exciting here.Was hard to finish this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
Tap. Murky yellow-golden, appears to slightly glow. Somewhat...eggish in flavor and aroma, which reminds me of the Alesmith ESB rating I had last year which I should probably delete. That's funny, the other one was also drank in a Southern California hotel bar. Okay, I'm using everything in my powers to filter out the eggishness...and I get a pretty standard dry-wheatiness hefe. It's mellow, with a clean finish, and as such it is about an average hefeweizen.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 16, 2003
Draught, served in a pint glass. Average sized, creamy, white head is mostly diminishing but does leave fair lacing behind. Body is a deep murky straw color and looks and sounds as thick as motor oil when being poured from a pitcher. Aroma of grain, flowers, dough and bananas. Scent is very soft. Moderately sweet to start; finishes moderately bitter and moderately acidic. Medium to heavy body with a creamy texture. Soft carbonation. I don't know how this beer tastes out of the bottle and I'm not planning to find out. As long as I can get this massively thick wheat beer on tap I'll be happy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaBeer1972 (1246) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2010 Re-rate: This was a very good brew the few times I had it out west several years ago. The bottled versions are made by Redhook, or at least last I checked, the bottled version is too hoppy for my liking. Sorry.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JUL 10, 2003
Cloudy yellow, thin cream head. Subtle and unexciting nose of wheat, hops, slight clove and yeast. Wheaty, bitter palate, no phenolics or esters as far as I can tell, metallic aftertaste as well. This is a shitty wheat or this my one of the very few american wheats I have had and am comparing it unfavorably to their German counterparts.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BATLMULLET (127) - Highland, Indiana, USA - JUL 10, 2003
VERY opaque, orange-yellow color, not much head. Pretty full mouthfeel. Not as much yeast character as I would like. Sort of bland for a potentially exciting style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 9, 2003
On tap. Not merely cloudy - this one was opaque. No sign of banana or clove; beery smelling and tasting with a bitter note.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
1more4dessert (326) - Upstate, New York, USA - JUL 7, 2003
after a long hot drive this tasted pretty good. Very apparent that this is unfiltered. I did make good use of the requisite lemon slice to take the flavor up a notch.