overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1358   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
muzzlehatch (4420) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JAN 3, 2004
Bottled. Significantly better than the Smuttynose I just rated, but so what? Still nothing special. Hefes are something I seem to be able to get in decent numbers here in VT, but I still keep going back to Paulaner after mediocre stuff like this. Starts out ok, with nice rich-looking orange/yellow body, thick lasting head. Nose is sweet, banana, simple but full and malty. Flavor is a letdown though, too soft boring and sweetly banana at first but harsh and lemon-juicy (not in a good way, not lemonade, acid lemon juice) towards the finish. Why did I buy a six of these? Oh, on a closeout sale. Wonder why...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bob32256 (171) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - DEC 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2004 nice yeast smell; cloudy as would be expected, but with an almost orange color; moderately bittter hops flavor; good, but not great

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dorwart (2432) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Thin head from the pour but good carbonation keeps it around for a while. Not much wheat aroma. Slight floral hops presence and a touch of malt. Color is a nice cloudy, medium amber/orange. Flavor is a little on the thin side. Slightly gritty from all of the sediment. Decent hops flavor though. Hops prominent, again, at the finish which lends towards a dry, bitter finish. Quite nice finish. A good beer but besides the cloudiness, does not resemble (taste) like a traditional wheat beer (i.e no yeast, hay, wheat flavor)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Really one of the better American Hefe-weizens. Very cloudy upon the pour. Nice wheat flavor. Very good for the summer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Reid (2064) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 30, 2003
Appearance : mm bright , cloudy, dark golden almost orange in colour , with a white creamy head which is small and fades to a nice lace down the glass. This one had a slight hoppy scent for a hefeweisen. Then i smelled lemon grass..some very slight banana aromas too. Very crisp, can tatse some hop bitterness, very creamy and not too acidic. I can also taste some banana and also apples. The bitterness returns right at the very end..nice. Very nicelly carbonated, smooth on the tongue..I like this. All in all an excellent American wheat, would drink this again and soon!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerandBlues2 (10691) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 28, 2003
Cloudy yellow with a white head. Fruity aroma. Initially bitter and then a light bitter finish. Medium and bitter on the palate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - NOV 24, 2003
Kurt Widmer was giving out samples of this at Market of Choice last weekend. Nice guy. This is their flagship beer. Nice cloudy ligh gold color. Light taste and stature.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
bu11zeye (12150) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - NOV 21, 2003
(Draught) Pours a cloudy yellow with a medium foamy white head. This wheat is very light tasting; not near as complex as I would have liked.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
archstanton (105) - mukilteo, Washington, USA - NOV 20, 2003
now this is a good beer i have particles floating in my beer but back to the beer the taste is very sweet with a small bit of bite at first but to cure that just add a lemon and your good to drink away.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - NOV 18, 2003
The sketchy bars of San Francisco crawl continues. This dive had a waitress who told us to drink more, "because we weren't smiling yet." I think I would have smiled more if she weren't glowering at us when she said it. The bar was indicative of the beer: it sucked. It poured cloudy and rather nice, but smelled empty (no esters? who came up with the idea of a wheat brewed with American yeast anyway?) and I had a sip that was bland and chalky, with a flat finish and no taste other than wheat discernable. I turn around to talk to someone and when I turn back to the bar sketchy woman is busily squeezing a LIME into my beer. Then she drops the rest in like it's a Corona and says, "Sorry, we're outta lemons." I should have said, "You sure? Looks like there's one on your face to me," but I was too busy trying not to yak at the sight of the emasculated lime wandering haplessly around my glass with the air and appearance of a fish embryo that knows it shouldn't have hatched yet. Wisely, the lime stayed away from my lips as I slugged back the rest of this, cringing at the sheer nastiness of it. Before lime: innocuous. After lime: more than slightly repulsive. Ew.