overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1342   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 26, 2003
This bottle had been sitting around in my sister's pantry for a while (hey, I was desperate). The date on the bottle was October 2000. It's aroma was sweet and yeasty. The color was a nice honey brown. It had a hoppy attack, wheaty body and a bitter leave. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad, either considering it was kept in less than ideal conditions. There was quite a bit of yeast sediment collected at the bottom... ahhh, the beauty of unfiltered beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
garrison (784) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2003
For a wheat beer, this one is lacking in taste... yes, I can detect the lemony character by the slight sourness of the beer - but the bananaesque overtones simply weren't there (except in the aroma and bitterness in the aftertaste). Visually, it looks just as an unfiltered hefeweizen should... cloudy and rich. I think I'll give this one a mild recommendation...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
savitska (163) - Smyrna, Georgia, USA - AUG 24, 2003
It's been said here before, but this beer has the look of a great Hefeweiss, but it's flavor is only so-so. I loved the banana-yellow, cloudy color and bananas & lemons in the nose, but the flavor was somewhat lacking. Still refreshing and clean like all the other Hefes I've had, but not as impressive as the pour would lead you to believe.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Shag (2623) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2003 First beer of the Southern Brewer Festival and it was the worst. Appearance is cloudy yellow. Aroma is lemon and bananas. Flavor is fairly weak with a slightly sour taste. Heavy on the lemon with some banana flavor. Pretty bad even for the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
haddon90 (1475) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I've had several German Wheats this summer. However, I wasn't too impressed with this. Cloudy yellow with a white head, strong wheat flavor. But even the lemon couldn't save this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Well, I've been fairly impressed with the German wheats I've had, so I gave this one a go. Hazy yellow on the pour, forgettable aroma and flavor. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 16, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2005 Wow finally another decent american wheat to taste. Bell’s Oberon is one of my favorite beers so I was excited to try this. Great presentation. Pours perfect white head and is a nice beige-walnut-yellowish orange (how’s that for a color). Great cloudiness. Smells slightly sour with a ever so slight smell of lemon. Begins very yeasty! that was great. Lots of wheat flavor and the sour yeast flavor does not give up. This beer does not change much in taste from beginning to end. There is a slight bittersweet malt flavor but very dry and minimal. Still, I cant get enough of that yeast. Unfortunately, that and the wheat flavor are all you really get from this. Oberon presents wonderful fruity flavors, alcohol warmth and nice malt character while still having the nice yeast flavor(though Widmer’s yeast flavor gets old after 3 beers). Anyways, a good beer, but just not enough complexity.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 16, 2003
I realize this is in the American Wheat category, but I really wanted this to taste like a German wheat. All the pieces where there, the cloudy appearance, the banana and yeast nose, but just in too small quantities for me. Also, it seemed a tad bitter for a hefeweizen. A drinkable beer, but a little light for my tastes. Like Trappist said, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
hopscotch (9364) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Murky, deep golden beer. Small, creamy white head with decent lacing. Banana and yeast in the nose along with a touch of smoke. The flavor is of grapefruit and orange blossom honey. Astringent and lightly bitter. Light-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and lively carbonation. Lengthy, dry finish with a touch of pungency.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Chewy. cloudy yellow beer, with a thin white head. Somewhat bitter and yeasty. Not as good as what I was thinking it was going to be. A good beer but I know better American Wheats.