overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1405   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 5, 2003
On tap. Pours a hazy gold with nice foamy head. Aroma of wheat and citrus. Pleasant, wheaty flavor, a little hoppy. A pleasing wheat.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - SEP 4, 2003
Had it on tap, poured a cloudy gold with a very nice frothy head. Aroma was quite weak. Flavor was hoppier than any wheat ive ever had. A little spicieness and wheat flavor blended well. Not great, but beter than the average wheat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
FatherMoss (21) - Moscow, Idaho, USA - SEP 2, 2003
I was impressed by the pour and the duration of the head, but as the glass wore on I just found myself wishing it was done. There's not much about the flavor and aroma that I could say that hasn't been said before, so I'll just come to the point. A decent beer, but ultimately somewhat forgettable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 26, 2003
This bottle had been sitting around in my sister's pantry for a while (hey, I was desperate). The date on the bottle was October 2000. It's aroma was sweet and yeasty. The color was a nice honey brown. It had a hoppy attack, wheaty body and a bitter leave. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't bad, either considering it was kept in less than ideal conditions. There was quite a bit of yeast sediment collected at the bottom... ahhh, the beauty of unfiltered beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
garrison (811) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2003
For a wheat beer, this one is lacking in taste... yes, I can detect the lemony character by the slight sourness of the beer - but the bananaesque overtones simply weren't there (except in the aroma and bitterness in the aftertaste). Visually, it looks just as an unfiltered hefeweizen should... cloudy and rich. I think I'll give this one a mild recommendation...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
savitska (163) - Smyrna, Georgia, USA - AUG 24, 2003
It's been said here before, but this beer has the look of a great Hefeweiss, but it's flavor is only so-so. I loved the banana-yellow, cloudy color and bananas & lemons in the nose, but the flavor was somewhat lacking. Still refreshing and clean like all the other Hefes I've had, but not as impressive as the pour would lead you to believe.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Shag (2837) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2003 First beer of the Southern Brewer Festival and it was the worst. Appearance is cloudy yellow. Aroma is lemon and bananas. Flavor is fairly weak with a slightly sour taste. Heavy on the lemon with some banana flavor. Pretty bad even for the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
haddon90 (1615) - Newport Beach, California, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I've had several German Wheats this summer. However, I wasn't too impressed with this. Cloudy yellow with a white head, strong wheat flavor. But even the lemon couldn't save this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Well, I've been fairly impressed with the German wheats I've had, so I gave this one a go. Hazy yellow on the pour, forgettable aroma and flavor. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ClarkVV (5704) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 16, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2005 Wow finally another decent american wheat to taste. Bell’s Oberon is one of my favorite beers so I was excited to try this. Great presentation. Pours perfect white head and is a nice beige-walnut-yellowish orange (how’s that for a color). Great cloudiness. Smells slightly sour with a ever so slight smell of lemon. Begins very yeasty! that was great. Lots of wheat flavor and the sour yeast flavor does not give up. This beer does not change much in taste from beginning to end. There is a slight bittersweet malt flavor but very dry and minimal. Still, I cant get enough of that yeast. Unfortunately, that and the wheat flavor are all you really get from this. Oberon presents wonderful fruity flavors, alcohol warmth and nice malt character while still having the nice yeast flavor(though Widmer’s yeast flavor gets old after 3 beers). Anyways, a good beer, but just not enough complexity.