overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1406   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
Tap. Murky yellow-golden, appears to slightly glow. Somewhat...eggish in flavor and aroma, which reminds me of the Alesmith ESB rating I had last year which I should probably delete. That's funny, the other one was also drank in a Southern California hotel bar. Okay, I'm using everything in my powers to filter out the eggishness...and I get a pretty standard dry-wheatiness hefe. It's mellow, with a clean finish, and as such it is about an average hefeweizen.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 16, 2003
Draught, served in a pint glass. Average sized, creamy, white head is mostly diminishing but does leave fair lacing behind. Body is a deep murky straw color and looks and sounds as thick as motor oil when being poured from a pitcher. Aroma of grain, flowers, dough and bananas. Scent is very soft. Moderately sweet to start; finishes moderately bitter and moderately acidic. Medium to heavy body with a creamy texture. Soft carbonation. I don't know how this beer tastes out of the bottle and I'm not planning to find out. As long as I can get this massively thick wheat beer on tap I'll be happy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaBeer1972 (1825) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2010 Re-rate: This was a very good brew the few times I had it out west several years ago. The bottled versions are made by Redhook, or at least last I checked, the bottled version is too hoppy for my liking. Sorry.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JUL 10, 2003
Cloudy yellow, thin cream head. Subtle and unexciting nose of wheat, hops, slight clove and yeast. Wheaty, bitter palate, no phenolics or esters as far as I can tell, metallic aftertaste as well. This is a shitty wheat or this my one of the very few american wheats I have had and am comparing it unfavorably to their German counterparts.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BATLMULLET (127) - Highland, Indiana, USA - JUL 10, 2003
VERY opaque, orange-yellow color, not much head. Pretty full mouthfeel. Not as much yeast character as I would like. Sort of bland for a potentially exciting style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 9, 2003
On tap. Not merely cloudy - this one was opaque. No sign of banana or clove; beery smelling and tasting with a bitter note.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
1more4dessert (334) - Upstate, New York, USA - JUL 7, 2003
after a long hot drive this tasted pretty good. Very apparent that this is unfiltered. I did make good use of the requisite lemon slice to take the flavor up a notch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
egajdzis (6101) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2003
This brew poured a cloudy orange color with a medium sized head. Strong orange citrus taste. Pretty decent beer for a lunch break.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - JUL 2, 2003
Orange, cloudy, little to no head. Hoppier than most Hefes, with a little tarntess in the flavor. Pretty weak as far as Hefes go.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 28, 2003
Thick, malty and cloudy wheat. Lots of citrus in here along with some herbs. It had a real bitter lemon/orange peel flavor at the finish