Wiedemann Bohemian Special

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 32   MEAN: 2.03/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.15   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
American standard lager beer. First brewed by the Geo. Wiedemann Brewery across the river from Cincinnati in Newport, Kentucky. Now brewed in Pittsburgh and sent back to Greater Cincinnati. Fresh, light and easy-drinking. Nice body and refreshingly light.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jerkadilly74 (155) - mooresville, Indiana, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Recently, I got my first taste of this brew. I was actually very suprised by the quality. I tend to be a notoriously cheap bastard and this stuff was right up my alley. Very inexpensive, @ $3.50 per 6 pack, it lacked many of the inadmirable qualities of it's American counterparts. Wiedemann didn't have a shitload of flavor, but at the same token, it had absolutely no foul aftertaste whatsoever. I was expecting sort of a metallic or corn-like flavor and I got none of that. I simply got an easy to drink, very refreshing beer. I may have found a new beer to accompany me on my fishing trips and golf outings. To all of you beer geeks out there: TRY THIS BEER!!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - FEB 25, 2002
Not a bad domestic lager but not as good as the original brewed in Kentucky. Seems to have lost some of its hops character but not all of it. Easy drinking with no off flavors, just clean after the lawnmowing beer. Still beats a Bud any ol day.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
olympian (107) - USA - MAR 24, 2002
I was astonished to see a listing for this beer! I thought it was long gone. Wiedemann was my everday beer of choice for many years, up until about 15 years ago when it ceased being available in my area (SW Michigan). At that time, it was under the Heilemann umbrella, but is now brewed by Pittsburgh Brewing (?). A real *beer*, nice malt/hop balance, pleasantly dry. I still miss it. My rating is from 15 years ago (though I drank barrels of this stuff over the years), and assumes it’s still about the same today.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
puphus (34) - Carbondale, Colorado, USA - SEP 12, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2006 Hoppy and dry. Great tasting domestic beer. Has a rather stinky aroma, but does not smell that bad. No after taste. Easily bests Miller or Busch made beers in price and taste. I drink it daily.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
garrison (773) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 20, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2003 This stuff tasted better back when it was brewed in Kentucky... but it wasn't a real winner even back then. Ho-hum, another standard American Standard

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Eddie5199 (3) - USA - JAN 15, 2003 does not count
A good domestic lager with a lot of flavor. I used to really love this stuff when it was brewed in Evansville, IN. However, the Pittsburgh version is still a nice treat when I can find it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mec3437 (54) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 26, 2005
Not a bad beer. Poured a golden yellow with a slight head that disappeared quickly. Tasted like its price. Not bad. Almost reminded me of the Beast but without the nasty bite.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 16, 2005
Clear golden color with a bright white head. Aroma is grainy and lightly grassy. Sweet start, light spicy finish. Thin, crisp and clean. $2.99/six pack. A decent lawnmower beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 1, 2002
The cheapest of the cheap...I like it because the can looks like one of those fake brand beer cans that they drank on ’70s sitcoms.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
uvajed (171) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2005
This may be my new favorite "old man" beer. This is what I remember "beer" tasting like before I was a beer drinker. Not overly carbonated like most Anheuser products, though it’s lacking in flavor and just about everything else, too. It’s kind of plain, and really light for something that isn’t labeled as such, but I dig it. I think next time I have a hankerin’ for Pabst I’ll get this instead. Not an amazing brew to brag to your friends about, Wiedemann is still one to keep stocked in the fridge for hot days of yard and garden work and watching baseball. I’d kiss High Life goodbye if this was available at my choice of supermarkets.