Wig & Pen Elders of the Black Forest

click to upload

Brewed by Wig & Pen Brewery
Style: Stout
Canberra, ACT, Australia

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.23/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Brewed with elderberries and chocolate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidm (1942) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - AUG 24, 2011
On tap at the brewery, it was 6.1%. Aromas of berries, chocolate, and coffee. Taste starts sweet, with sour notes, and very long length. Palate is velvety, and medium bodied. Black, with a frothy off-white head.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
OldMrCrow (1945) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 8, 2008
Tap at the brewpub.

The Wig & Pen makes a lot of really nice beers and after trying a number of clear successes in a row I got cocky and tried this one against my better judgement.

.I should have known better. I somehow thought this might be a good complex beer with dry elderberry notes to add interest. Instead I could barely drink it. It poured dark brown with way to much burgandy highlights and coloration in the head; even seeing that, before smelling the beer, I knew I was in trouble This one was elderberry syrup at quadruple strength in a chocolate sodapop. About as bad of a stout as I’ve tasted.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
madquacker (1051) - Canberra ACT, AUSTRALIA - JUN 27, 2008
High marks for originality. Odd beer. Chocolate and black forest cake. Sweet. Fizzy and different. Bizarre.