Wild Blossom Pirateís Blood Spicy Chile Mead

overall

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37/5   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Capsicumel; Mead with chili peppers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
frankenkitty (2006) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2016
As I stated in my 1000th review, "A memorable occasion calls for a memorable beer." Back in 2006, RAYBOY01 and I thought that beer should be Colt 45. HOWEVER Ė Iíve been saving this unique mead until this moment to commemorate the occasion of my 2000th review. Deep bronze and still with big legs. The crystal-skull bottle adds an appearance-point... as does the thin red chili pepper that plopped into my glass. Aroma is sweet and boozy and peppery, the Capsaicin lightly burns my nostrils yet makes my mouth water. Sticky mouthfeel akin to thinned honey which lets its flavors linger for a long time. That said, you only need a few small sips each sitting, prolonging the life of the bottle. Iím a fan of good mead, and Iím a fan of spicy foods and I donít think anyone could have married those flavors better than Wild Blossom does here. There is initial smokey, honey sweetness which quickly gives way to an explosion of pepper and alcohol heat. As I review, I find myself breathing through my mouth and wiping beads of sweat from my brow. But I canít stop. The only drawback is a mild soapiness in the finish. Glass dry, I look at that chili pepper and give it a bite. I donít recommend this. The heat has been sucked into the mead, so this basically just gives off a mild sweet-heat. The texture is chewy and I now have seeds to deal with. ( I have to include this in my rating because if Iíve learned anything from Food Network: donít add a garnish if you donít want it consumed.) Long story short, this is the pinnacle of what youíd expect when you buy an 11.5% mead in a skull-shaped bottle with a bunch of chili peppers floating around in it. Now I need to find a Colt 45 to chase this bad boy down. ~~~~~~ 500ml bottle as a Christmas gift from my good buddy Ben, RateBeer review #2000

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Rudzud (36) - Cherry Valley, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 18, 2016
Thanks to JLindros for sharing. Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice crystal clear dark copper hue. Aromas of chili peppers galore, light honey sweetness buy loads of pepper heat. Taste is similar to the nose, huge heat up front, loads of pepper heat that fades relatively quick but is still very prominent. Loads of great heat over the finish. The pepper heat overpowers the mead qualities. Unfortunate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tchaos (428) - New York, USA - MAR 24, 2015
Groovy skull bottle. Pours still, reddish Amber. Aroma is heavy spice, earthiness, with faint honey. Taste is pepper forward, cut by mild honey, with a long, peppery finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dfonorow (2039) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2014
Bottle @ Beer Camp - Chicago. Pour is hazy red/orange. Aroma and flavor of strong pepper spice, cherries, smoke, earth, and sweet honey.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jesterdeal (1985) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - SEP 16, 2014
Sampled at the End of History tasting. Poured from a badass skull bottle! Aroma is chipotle pepper, smoke, and candle wax. Pours light red with light carb and no head. Taste is smoked paprika, roasted red pepper, sweet caramel apple, honey and chile pepper. Nice balance of smokey and sweet. Sits sweet in the mouth for a second and then immediately begins to punish you with scalding spice. Great heat throughout the mouth. Really enjoyed this and would gladly watch other people try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
crossovert (11184) - Illinois, USA - AUG 24, 2014
750ml bottle with what appears to be cayenne peppers in it (not the skull bottle). Super spicy mead but pleasant to me, not too vegetal peppery just heat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
vtafro (6554) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2014
Bottle. Yellow pour. Huge pepper aromas. Huge pepper, sorry not a fan of pepper taking over a liquid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JaBier (6878) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - OCT 13, 2013
Thanks to Brad at Jackie Oís for busting this on out on Rachaelís birthday. Clear reddish amber in color with no head and no legs. Aroma of honey and light white wine. Honey and sweet fruit flavor with a hot pepper finish. Pretty decent, but the heat stays with you (even to the next morning, if you know what I mean).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
charule (2147) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 5, 2013
At Midwest Brewers Fest. Poured reddish gold color. Aroma of a cow barn with some heat. Quite smooth super hot hot hot taste. Sweet flavors gets lost.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
deyholla (9993) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 15, 2013
Sampled at Bad Apple. Pours a clear orange gold with no head whatsoever. Aroma is full of spice, cinnamon, peppers and chili come through with a bit of honey underlying. Flavor is dominated with overtly strong peppers that over power the cinnamon and honey. Undrinkable...