overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 15   MEAN: 3.4/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Back inda day in the French speaking region of Belgium known as Wallonia, in the spirit of waving goodbye to the Winter and saying hello to the Spring, forward thinking brewers concocted a beer that was designed to reward the farm hands for a job well done with a light and refreshing malted beverage known as the “saison.”

At Worthy, as we also mark the onset of Spring, and christen our own version of a hop farm, and pay tribute to The People’s Hopmeister, Dr. Al Haunold, we are pleased to offer our own version the sasion, a fruity-zesty beer we call the Farm Out Saison.

True to style, we use Belgian pilsner malt, Saazer-inspired Sterling hops, and a fruity French-Belgian yeast strain that coalesce to form a delicious goldenrod/apricot- colored ale. Fittingly, Dr. Haunold was the brawn and the brains behind the creation of the Sterling hop, which the USDA released in 1998. Al, this Farm Out’s for you!

One whiff of our Farm Out and you’ll find yourself uncaging and uncorking a Belgian ale, redolent with deep yellow fruity esters. The aroma ranges from freshly cut pineapple to lemon citrus, with a pleasant ethanol overtone.

One sip and you’re enjoying a stone fruit marmelade on top of a soft thin slice of toast that finishes with a tart “Sourpatch” tanginess. Light, dry and spritzy.

So, raise your Belgian snifter and please join us as we give thanks to hop breeder extraordinaire, Al Haunold, and to hop farmers the world over. We love your work. And after a hard day’s work, when it’s time to let go, go ahead and tune out with Worthy’s Farm Out saison.

•7.3% ABV
Hops: Sterling

pdx77's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pdx77 (1391) - Oregon, USA - JUL 17, 2013
On draught at 2013 Portland Cheers to Belgian Beers Fest. Light golden color. Coriander and yeast aroma, light hoppiness. Flavor is spiced banana, yeast. Fizzy.

mcberko (6709) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 24, 2014
On tap at St. Augustine’s, pours a clear golden blonde with a small white head. Aroma brings out farmhouse notes, Belgian yeast, and light crackery malt. Flavour is a little buttery, with notes of Belgian yeast and cereal malt. A little too buttery but still decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Reid (1923) - Salem, Oregon, USA - OCT 2, 2014
22 oz bottle bought from Fred Meyers N.Salem store. $4.99 pours a clear golden yellow colour with a nice thick bubbly white head. Spicy,bubblegum, ginger and slight barnyard aromas..nice enough. Good balanced taste with still the spice and barnyard present. Some green apple in the back. Palate is good but needs a bit more carbonation for style. OK beer..i liked it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
malrubius (1770) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - SEP 29, 2014
Bottle from Brewfest. Clear golden with white ring and a little lace. Spice mild lemon pastry and some grassy aroma. Medium sweet fruity tropical fruit mango pineapple with mild spicy bitterness with lingering tropical fruit sweetness. Lively carbo and medium body. Could be a little lighter and less sweet, but still very good.

OldMrCrow (1870) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 17, 2014
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2014 22 oz bottle from Last Drop.

For me, saison has become the new IPA. In 2006 I bought every new IPA I could find, because there weren’t all that many and it was my favorite style. By 2008, it was getting harder to keep up, but I bought or traded for every new IPA I could find because it was still my favorite style -- but lots of it was crap and I found myself disappointed more often than not. By 2010 it wasn’t worth even bothering to try and keep up. Better to just drink the good ones. Well, the same has happened with saisons. I still buy just about anything I can find (at reasonable prices), but I no longer do so with particularly high hopes. Too many mediocre breweries jumping on the bandwagon, and unfortunately it’s far easier to screw up a saison than an IPA. When it comes to saison, a huge fraction of American brewers completely miss the point.

This is a great example of what should be its own style, the American Imperial Esterbomb Saison. Too high in alcohol (how can they keep a straight face writing all of that ad copy about brew for thirsty farmhands?), too sweet, zero funk, and way, way over the top in banana-and-bubblegum esters.

I’ve gotta stop falling for these things. As like as if there were two kinds of coffee: some Peets varietal, and then some vanilla syrup coated folgers type crap. But they’re both called the same thing -- coffee -- and so you never knew which you were going to get. I sure as heck would learn to stop experimenting before I got to variety 100. But I guess with beer I’m just stupid that way.

tl;dr summary 7% banana bomb. Blech.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BillKismet (3342) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 3, 2014
Blonde body topped by a silken foam head. Heavy, laborious upward flow of carbonation. Zesty nose sharpened by lemon pepper and typical French-style saison yeastiness. Body is a bit washed out with lemon and pepper notes. Spicy, lemon pepper and salty finish. Touches of wheat throughout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
after4ever (6173) - Brier, Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2014
22. Pours a crystal clear pale gold with a loose white head. Earthy dry-leaf nose. Kind of a hot day dirt road smell. Creamy medium body with soft carb. Toasty dry leaf mid palate. Dusty, some green apple. Mild sweetish finish

maxwelldeux (3698) - Everett, Washington, USA - JUL 5, 2014
Bottle. Pours a very clear golden color with a moderate white head that disappears quickly. Nose has a lot of the traditional Belgian yeast in there, with a bit of banana, floral and citrus elements to it. Taste is very slightly sour, but has a remarkable amount of sweetness to it. Seems to me like much more of a Belgian ale than a saison.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BuckeyeBoy (2837) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 2, 2014
On tap at bier thirty. Pours out a hazy straw topped with a fluffy white head. Nose is lemon citrus spice and some bread malts. Taste is as the nose with a nice sweet malt and a touch of spice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IndianaRed (2527) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 31, 2014
On tap at Bier:Thirty, Boise at the Worthy Brewing Tap Tap Take-Over Hazy pale golden, witha small white skin. Lightly spicy bready aroma. Some citrus spics in the flavor and a cereal sweetness. A touch of lemon zest and just a hint of bitter at the end. Very nice, but 7%+ Saison ?!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
19Ei8hty (1171) - Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2014
Was excited to see a saison on the draft list. Less excited when it finaly made its way to my table. Even less excited with every sip up til the time I decided I was not going to finish it. Just another poor-to-mediocre attempt here. My tasting notes: "never again".