overall
Brewed by Würzburger Hofbräu (Schörghuber)
Style: Schwarzbier
Würzburg, Germany

RATINGS: 46   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
CEZ (399) - Milano, ITALY - OCT 17, 2003
Deep brown body and a good beige head. Nice coffe and toffee aroma. Otherwise, an average beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Cristobal37 (278) - Canyon Lake, California, USA - AUG 21, 2013
Thanks for the gift Lajos! While I really enjoyed drinking this, it was much lighter and milder than I had anticipated (expected Kostritzer). Nevertheless it was tasty. Sweet and maybe even a hint of chocolate. Too light on alcohol in the end for me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Great black color. Really thin head slips away quickly. Chocolaty malt flavor. Stoutish porterish, but without the nice body. I wish the Krauts didn’t gyp us on this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
muffel (136) - Lower Saxony, GERMANY - APR 13, 2012
At Haus der 150 Biere Würzburg. Bottle 500ml. Pours a dark brown color with a small white head. Soft to edium carbonation with fizzy mouthfeel . Taste is caramel, chocolate, sweet malts. A bit spicy and bitter in the finish. Overall I liked it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
crdic (105) - California, USA - JUL 10, 2002
This beer’s head is tan-colored and fairly thin, and diminishes quickly. Its color is beautifully black, almost like a porter, but clearer and more noticeably brown. Its aroma is pleasant; very Germanic in quality, but dark, with roasted malt. Its flavor is somewhat bockish, but darker, more bitter, more chocolatey; however, it seems weak, almost watery, and fails to live up to the aroma’s promise. The mouthfeel is somewhat flat; no carbonation at all, no warmth. This isn’t a bad beer, but surely there must be better schwarzbiers out there. I like this enough that I want to find them, but not enough that I’d go out of my way to drink this one again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
guzzler (76) - AE, GERMANY - NOV 28, 2002
Thick, black color and a nice heavy roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate. I like this beer alot.