overall
Brewed by FEMSA Cerveja Brasil
Style: Schwarzbier
Jacareí (SP), Brazil

RATINGS: 1261   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Xingu is a line of exotic beers dedicated to bring awareness to the Amazon Rainforest. Xingu Black Beer is very smooth and drinkable and is a two time winner of the Beverage Taste Institute of Chicago’s Gold Medal as the best dark lager in the world.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2009 I imagine traveling down the Amazon deep into the heart of the rainforest to find the lost city of gold, El Dorado. After weeks of paddling down tributary’s and hiking in the forest and coming up empty on a dead end trail. Battling caiman, jaguars, anacondas, and the dreaded fer-de-lance. Just when I think I can go no further, my food is running out, I spy a glimmer of gold through the canopy of leaves in the sunset I stumble onto a brick road made of gold. In the center of the city is a magnificent gold pyramid. As I climb up the steps dreaming of the riches at the top I can barely contain myself. I collapse at the top and on a pedestal sits a bottle. Confused and disgusted I pick up the bottle and take a drink and all my weariness and hunger is washed away with a black elixir. Upon further sipping, enlightenment, that the treasure of El Dorado is this black gold.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Faust54 (1) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 20, 2003 does not count
An excellent beer that goes well with South American cuisine. Wonderful caramel taste with a satisfying biterness to offset its sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 6, 2003
This one is dark/black in color and pours with little heand and little to no lace. It smells sweet with hints of fruit. The taste is a mix of chocolate and coffee, but more chocolate than coffee. It has a strange and small bite, but it is not the normal alcoholic bite - I can't really describe it, but it was more enjoyable than the bite that a normal beer has.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JMerritt (1792) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAR 1, 2003
Black in color, red-brick colored head that drops after a few minutes. Smells ... strangely fruity (peach) and sugary. Pleasant, but totally not what I was expecting, based on the appearance. Flavor is of brown sugar and light malt. In retrospect, I almost feel as though I was drinking some thick, earthy juice instead of beer. Oddly, I find that appealing. I could see myself drinking this quite a bit, if it was easier to find around these parts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
ARMed (598) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 26, 2003
Very nice black stout with a great blend of malt and hops. A little overly sweet but also has a small amoutn of bitterness which is appealing to me. Just slightly too tangy. Chocolatey taste with a coffee sensation. Good lacing as well. Smooth beer that is lightly carbonated and easy to drink but just too sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
artvandalay (16) - USA - FEB 17, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2003 Lots of chocolate at the start, and a rush of kenya aa. Nice black lager, as long as you dont want a stout. Black beers are a tough one to enjoy, this one does a great job.yummy.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
Frank (2828) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Black. Thin head is almost completely diminishing except for a small ring around the edge. Fraint aroma is earthy and winey. Fruity front (raisins, wine). Somewhat sweet with coffee overtones. Watery with little carbonation. Easily drinkable but I find myself craving more body and flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 15, 2003
Tan, quickly diminishing head. Aroma is of heavy, full-bodied hops. Through the blackness, there are ruby undertones. While the description says sweet and tart, I only found the sweet ones, although they are not over done. Smooth drinking. Maybe not as complex as I like dark beers to be, but again that is just my opinion. On second taste, this is really sweet, almost like root beer, but then the finish comes in and reminds you are drinking real beer. Not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2003 A lovely apperance to this beer, though the carmel toned head fades a bit too quickly to enjoy. Nose is a bit thin and watery...what's there is nice, but we need to smell more of it! The flavor is somewhat smooth and creamy, though it lacks potency like the aroma. Overall, a decent schwarzbier, but it needs a bit more "umph."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2003
Dark brown with a light brown, bubbly head. The nose is Lightly choclatey with a tinge of sweet malt and licorice. The body is quite spritzy with just the lightest inkling of roast that comes up again towards the finish. Sweet, corny malt connotations that dry off bittersweet towards the end. Not a bad schwarz, a bit too sweet.