overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NEG (1) - NEW ZEALAND - DEC 15, 2011 does not count
This beer smells like a dirty soi in Bangkok, with a hint of Laphroaig. Although past smell, it is pure SUCCESS.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kiwi_daz (47) - NEW ZEALAND - NOV 27, 2011
i was really blown away with this beer, I am a lover of Laphroaig and this was like having a fizzy version. It went down really well with the vegetable curry I had. Good to see brewers taking risks.

andyp547 (1) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 16, 2011 does not count
This beer is my new favourite. If you love Islay malt whiskies (as I do like Laphroiag and Lagavulin) then this beer is for you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
TimE (3365) - Tokyo, JAPAN - OCT 31, 2011
massive amount of peat an smoke from beginning to end. Unfortunately, as is common peat and light color ales dont mix well and this beer is no exception. Hardly detect the hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Maris (1023) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - OCT 26, 2011
From a 330ml bottle on 26/10/2011. Pours a slightly opaque light golden with a decent head. Has an extremely powerful peaty, Islay single malt aroma. The flavour is similar. This is the beer incarnation of a Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg. Has a touch of citrus and long bitter finish. This shouldn’t work but it does. A crazy, interesting, impressive one of a kind beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRealMGD (551) - Lakewood, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2011
Bottle at Galbraith’s. Hazy, gold pour with a short white head. Peaty, medicinal nose - I knew I was in trouble shortly after the bartender opened the bottle. Even at arm’s length the aroma of this beer is remarkable. Medium-light body with lively carbonation. Peat, smoked peat, dark-roasted peat. Grilled peat. And more peat. And smoke. FFS, is this even beer? Or is it tonic and Laphroaig? This is vile, evil stuff. I love it. Conforms to no beer standard I’m aware of and not recommended if you want to taste anything else in the current session. Or possibly ever. Not exactly sessionable, but very enjoyable if you pace yourself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mkel07 (3725) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - SEP 22, 2011
330ml bottle. Wow it took a while to work my way through this one. Murky hazy amber colour and the look of this beer does nothing to prepare you for the full on big smokey aroma, wet and peaty like mud but not in an unpleasant way. The flavour is like you licked an ashtray or just smoked a packet of cigarettes. Certainly has attitude.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Coldaz (1) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 15, 2011 does not count
Not since Epic Pale Ale have I discovered such a wonderfully interesting beer. Rex Attitude, impressed, puzzled, amazed and suprised me. As I sat at the House Bar sipping my first RA, I had to decide something, was this the best beer I had ever tasted... or not...? Musky, smokey, freshly sanded ancient oak floor greeted me first, then the colour ! that was the biggest surprise, how could such a pale beer disguise so much flavour and intrigue ? Hops are not forgotten in this beer either and the malt ballance completes this enormously satisfying beer. Its on my list to clone but I suspect, won’t be everyone’s cup ’o tea.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerledgend (1197) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 12, 2011
Hazey dark straw colour with thin white head. Peaty aroma. Aged whiskey giving slight tangy flavour which is difficult to describe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kempicus (343) - Bakewell, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - SEP 11, 2011
What a fantastically interesting beer, i have a problem with smoked beers in that i’ve never found one smokey enough, this beer almost gets there. Easily the most interesting beer i’ve drunk all year i found this to be ridiculously evocative, it took me on a journey of flash backs to BBQ’s and campfires of my past and remembrances of great times. I loved the way my senses recalibrated while drinking this beer, they went from shocked smokiness with my first sip to realising the subtle nuances in the underlying beer towards the end of the glass. Oh how i wished this was in a 750ml bottle, oh how i wished i could buy it over here!