overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldnít be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldnít use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotlandís west coast. Like the íAuld Allianceí it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the worldís first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Donít fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lazlo_Panaflex (6) - - SEP 1, 2011 does not count
Every time I try a smoked beer I generally feel like Iíve been assaulted. In a good way. This beer is no different. Having tasted and enjoyed their Pot Kettle Black Dark IPA, I was looking forward to this beer. Yeastie Boys are known for pushing the boundaries of brewing and this beer is no different. The nose is exactly what youíd expect. Smoke and tobacco. Itís almost overpowering. I say almost because thereís still something enjoyable about it. Itís like being forced face first into an ashtray by an angry punter who thinks youíve been eyeing of his missus but when he realises you stare that way because you have a bung eye, he decides to buy you a beer and shakes your hand. Colour wise, it has a brilliant golden hue. This is the main source of confusion. I generally associate the smoky hobo-ashtray like aromas with dark, sullen ales or porters but in this case it comes from a fantastic and bright looking beer. If I was to ever be tongue pashed by a chain smoking super model, this is what it would be like. Itís terribly smoky but the hops comes through and leaves a nice spicy flavour with a lingering finish that reminds me of barbeque lamb chops. This is a manís beer. If you are a man and you donít like this beer then frankly, you are NO man in my books. A truly unique beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Davros (2041) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 30, 2011
Pours amber with a small fading head. Nose shows bandaids, camp smoke, burnt hair, burnt plastic and faint caramel. Imagine a plastics factory caught on fire and someone put it out with beer. Pretty comparable to the aroma of this stuff. Itís amazingly potent too, strong enough to be detected from the other side of the room. Tastes like charcoal. Seriously. And more burnt plastic. With a little sweet malt underneath. This was difficult to rate - on the one hand, it was very interesting and unique. On the other hand, it was a serious hassle to drink and I never want to try it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zeke_NZL (32) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 23, 2011
Smells like a good Islay whisky. Second time i have had this on tap and I had 2 pints which considering the beer is a good effort i think. Very phenolic but i love peaty whisky so that is a good thing. Took me a few swigs to let my tastebuds adjust to the taste but after that it was awesome. Marked down for poor head retention and having to let tastebuds adjust.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
bluebetty (1019) - AUSTRALIA - AUG 15, 2011
Bottle. Pours a light golden and smallish white coloured head. Aromas are dominated by smoke but no where near as much as I anticipated. More medicinal than the smoking bacon I usually get with beers of this type. Flavour wise I dont get a lot. A little smoke comes through and there is a little light caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is relatively thin. Other than that not much else. No where near as over the top as I expected.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopObessaison (21) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 6, 2011
The Rex is sex. Tap at Beervana, poured by the creator, full on peat, mild citrus notes, very drinkable, one of the best beers in NZ.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
allanbowers (93) - melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUL 24, 2011
really smoky beer. brave step to make something this unique. a bit of an acquired taste for this one. I like it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUL 22, 2011
For the last few months Stu has filled with Twitter feed with tweets about this beer, so itís only fair that I get him back by rating it. :)
Smells like cheap watercolours and gauze - just like primary school. Actually it smells a lot like one of the security guards at work, which is a little unusual. Overwhelmingly paint/hospital. It tastes a lot softer and less egdy, but no less weird. Like spicy French saucisson, with all the big chunks of fat. Doesnít taste like whisky at all to me. Baffling beer, really. One-dimensional in the extreme. Iím not sure I get the point. I mean, I could make a double IPA where all the fermentables come from watermelon juice, but that doesnít mean itís a good idea for a large-scale commercial release.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
sinkas (288) - Perth/Fremantle, AUSTRALIA - JUL 12, 2011
Frankly Vile Aroma and flavour of Formalin and other antiseptics undrinkable and psychologically scarring

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bluevegie (3061) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUL 10, 2011
Drinks alright which was a surprise for me after hearing reports it was awful, loads of peat in the aroma with smoked ham in the taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
gam (3356) - brisbane, AUSTRALIA - JUL 1, 2011
Small head straw colour aromas very peaty smells like a hospital ointment flavour yep just like the aroma terrible mix like a bandaid whiskey and peat no thanks