overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 114   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldnít be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldnít use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotlandís west coast. Like the íAuld Allianceí it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the worldís first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Donít fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
gam (3175) - brisbane, AUSTRALIA - JUL 1, 2011
Small head straw colour aromas very peaty smells like a hospital ointment flavour yep just like the aroma terrible mix like a bandaid whiskey and peat no thanks

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jonno (2274) - JAPAN - JUN 17, 2011
Love it. Exactly what I imagine a beer to taste like if it wore peated malt clothing. Lots of medicinal, peat notes in the nose and on the palate and a little smoked ham/fish. It is very easy drinking for such an experiment. A real kick in the chops after the inoculous pale straw pour. Would I buy another bottle? Probably not, but for what it is, we may have a new style. Peat pale ale? Smoky blonde? Good stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maneliquor (3005) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUN 8, 2011
Im torn on how to rate this beer. Its uniqueness is astounding ! Heavily peated malt is about all you get from the nose - which isnt a bad thing. The taste produces some citrus and barbequed meats. All this finishes with loads of charrred wood - like a big fire. Im not going to give this a bad rating. Itís not my kind of beer but to make something like this blows me away. Full marks to unique brewing quality

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
hawthorne00 (2366) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUN 6, 2011
Bottle, 10C. Gold with a fading white head. Low bead. Aroma is not vile or even overpowering, but itís very smokey with a little light caramel, earth and seaweed. Taste has biting peat straight away with some caramel sweetness underneath. Some unpleasant medicinal notes creep up as you get used to the smoke as well as some more pleasant chewy meaty caramel. I guess the medicinal thing is iodine and itís that thereís far too much of - ointment. After two sips this wasnít too bad but the last third of the glass is plain nasty.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
RichardHFish (11) - - JUN 4, 2011
Bottle, Archive Beer Boutique, Brisbane. 03/06/2011 "They said it would be undrinkable". Well, they were right. The colour was a bile coloured yellow, like someone had been sick in the glass, with a reasonable, off-white head. The aroma was similar to a very expensive single malt whiskey, the peat being immediately evident (as you would expect). There is also strong hints of a very nasty chemical, like nail polish remover and burning plastic. The taste was an intensification of the aroma but even worse. One redeeming feature was that the smokiness of the malts comes through towards the end. I couldnít notice the mouthfeel, my mouth was puckering with disgust and thus, too busy to notice. This was truly the worst beer that I have ever had, but good on them for pushing the boundaries.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grapengrain (125) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 21, 2011
Really exciting beer - not as scary as I imagined. Obviously extremely peaty but not overwhelming - the aroma and flavour have a depth and level of complexity - umami that I donít find very many other places - the only thing I can compare it to - not in flavour but in feel is truffle. Because distilling malt is used the malt body is a little one dimentional; that said it is all about that one type of malt. The beer is brightened up by fresh hop notes - mainly on the palate as the Peat overcomes them on the nose

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sdriessen (320) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 18, 2011
Crazy aroma, smells like smoked bacon, and a bit of cigar smoke. Wee bit of caramel malt. A bit of honey or something herbal?
Sweet caramel malt, with a lot of "campfire"(?)... Really really smokey, itís rather awesome. Smoke is balanced by sweetness. Hardly any bitterness at all.
Medium body, doesnít finish cloying. Long, smokey aftertaste.
I like this, itís something different (for me). Good sh!t Yeastie Boys :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sx_fusion (8) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 17, 2011 does not count
I have never smelt or tasted anything like this every. The peated malt is obviously the feature of this beer. Surprisingly drinkable but ifyou like pale lagers then itís best to turn and run. Very bold

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mgbridges (15) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 13, 2011
Iím conflicted as I write this. The score that comes out says that this is a bad beer. Thatís not true. It is a brave and exciting beer. It is a beer that Iím glad was made. I tasted the homebrew precursor and was impressed by it. I like the Yeastie Boys and all that they do. But I could not drink this beer. I had a small glass at the Malthouse and left half of it. Germolene. Thatís the lasting impression. Thatís what it smells like, thatís what it tastes like. I couldnít detect anything else. My senses were entirely destroyed. Others have liked it, and Iím glad they do. Iím glad this beer was made. Iím just glad I donít have to drink any more. Sorry guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
greig (253) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 13, 2011
This beer leaves me extremely conflicted. I expected to hate it. The sheer amount of hype surrounding it reinforced that expectation. The fact that I know the brewer (and heís a lovely man, as is his business partner, and the man who actually makes the beer under contract - a triangle of niceness) didnít help this negative expectation. In fact, heíd recently been on an "unfollow" mission against brewers on twitter who only twwet about their own beer, but lately, all heís been tweeting is related to this beer. I love him, and I forgive him, because the emperor is fully clothed in some serious finery here. Thereís no sign of Imperial todger. The beer is dominated by peat (as advertised), but the hops manage to assert themselves despite this. They leave a delicious heathery/spicy note among the wreathes of smoke. Itís like youíve walked in on Gandalf getting his pipe on with a bunch of hobbits in a herb garden. That makes no sense, and nor does this beer, but it works so well. Nobody is more surprised at how much I like this beer than I am. Well done Stu and Sam. This is insane, inspired, and in-my-belly!