overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 128   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRealMGD (551) - Lakewood, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2011
Bottle at Galbraith’s. Hazy, gold pour with a short white head. Peaty, medicinal nose - I knew I was in trouble shortly after the bartender opened the bottle. Even at arm’s length the aroma of this beer is remarkable. Medium-light body with lively carbonation. Peat, smoked peat, dark-roasted peat. Grilled peat. And more peat. And smoke. FFS, is this even beer? Or is it tonic and Laphroaig? This is vile, evil stuff. I love it. Conforms to no beer standard I’m aware of and not recommended if you want to taste anything else in the current session. Or possibly ever. Not exactly sessionable, but very enjoyable if you pace yourself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mkel07 (4001) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - SEP 22, 2011
330ml bottle. Wow it took a while to work my way through this one. Murky hazy amber colour and the look of this beer does nothing to prepare you for the full on big smokey aroma, wet and peaty like mud but not in an unpleasant way. The flavour is like you licked an ashtray or just smoked a packet of cigarettes. Certainly has attitude.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Coldaz (1) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 15, 2011 does not count
Not since Epic Pale Ale have I discovered such a wonderfully interesting beer. Rex Attitude, impressed, puzzled, amazed and suprised me. As I sat at the House Bar sipping my first RA, I had to decide something, was this the best beer I had ever tasted... or not...? Musky, smokey, freshly sanded ancient oak floor greeted me first, then the colour ! that was the biggest surprise, how could such a pale beer disguise so much flavour and intrigue ? Hops are not forgotten in this beer either and the malt ballance completes this enormously satisfying beer. Its on my list to clone but I suspect, won’t be everyone’s cup ’o tea.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerledgend (1197) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 12, 2011
Hazey dark straw colour with thin white head. Peaty aroma. Aged whiskey giving slight tangy flavour which is difficult to describe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kempicus (343) - Bakewell, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - SEP 11, 2011
What a fantastically interesting beer, i have a problem with smoked beers in that i’ve never found one smokey enough, this beer almost gets there. Easily the most interesting beer i’ve drunk all year i found this to be ridiculously evocative, it took me on a journey of flash backs to BBQ’s and campfires of my past and remembrances of great times. I loved the way my senses recalibrated while drinking this beer, they went from shocked smokiness with my first sip to realising the subtle nuances in the underlying beer towards the end of the glass. Oh how i wished this was in a 750ml bottle, oh how i wished i could buy it over here!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lazlo_Panaflex (6) - - SEP 1, 2011 does not count
Every time I try a smoked beer I generally feel like I’ve been assaulted. In a good way. This beer is no different. Having tasted and enjoyed their Pot Kettle Black Dark IPA, I was looking forward to this beer. Yeastie Boys are known for pushing the boundaries of brewing and this beer is no different. The nose is exactly what you’d expect. Smoke and tobacco. It’s almost overpowering. I say almost because there’s still something enjoyable about it. It’s like being forced face first into an ashtray by an angry punter who thinks you’ve been eyeing of his missus but when he realises you stare that way because you have a bung eye, he decides to buy you a beer and shakes your hand. Colour wise, it has a brilliant golden hue. This is the main source of confusion. I generally associate the smoky hobo-ashtray like aromas with dark, sullen ales or porters but in this case it comes from a fantastic and bright looking beer. If I was to ever be tongue pashed by a chain smoking super model, this is what it would be like. It’s terribly smoky but the hops comes through and leaves a nice spicy flavour with a lingering finish that reminds me of barbeque lamb chops. This is a man’s beer. If you are a man and you don’t like this beer then frankly, you are NO man in my books. A truly unique beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Davros (2205) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 30, 2011
Pours amber with a small fading head. Nose shows bandaids, camp smoke, burnt hair, burnt plastic and faint caramel. Imagine a plastics factory caught on fire and someone put it out with beer. Pretty comparable to the aroma of this stuff. It’s amazingly potent too, strong enough to be detected from the other side of the room. Tastes like charcoal. Seriously. And more burnt plastic. With a little sweet malt underneath. This was difficult to rate - on the one hand, it was very interesting and unique. On the other hand, it was a serious hassle to drink and I never want to try it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zeke_NZL (32) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 23, 2011
Smells like a good Islay whisky. Second time i have had this on tap and I had 2 pints which considering the beer is a good effort i think. Very phenolic but i love peaty whisky so that is a good thing. Took me a few swigs to let my tastebuds adjust to the taste but after that it was awesome. Marked down for poor head retention and having to let tastebuds adjust.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
bluebetty (1019) - AUSTRALIA - AUG 15, 2011
Bottle. Pours a light golden and smallish white coloured head. Aromas are dominated by smoke but no where near as much as I anticipated. More medicinal than the smoking bacon I usually get with beers of this type. Flavour wise I dont get a lot. A little smoke comes through and there is a little light caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is relatively thin. Other than that not much else. No where near as over the top as I expected.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopObessaison (21) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 6, 2011
The Rex is sex. Tap at Beervana, poured by the creator, full on peat, mild citrus notes, very drinkable, one of the best beers in NZ.