overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldnít be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldnít use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotlandís west coast. Like the íAuld Allianceí it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the worldís first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Donít fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Pinball (10927) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 23, 2012
clear yellow, small white head. Heavy smoked and peated burnt woody malts. Flavor is smoked malts, burnt wood, charchoal, aftertaste is loads of extreme charred woody charchoal. besides the smoked notes, flowery syruppy fruity notes. Most smoked flamethrower charred beer i ever had

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Theis (13801) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 20, 2012
Bottle at Den Tatoverede Enke. Clear golden/amber - offwhite head. 100% peated malts. Fruity. Smokey. High smokey. Ok malty sweetness. Grassy. Iod. Nice.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
okains (1) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 24, 2012 does not count
As a 62 year old beer drinker originating from the Netherlands and an enthusiastic Belgian beer drinker I can say that this is easily the foulest stuff I ever smelled or tasted

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Wombata (468) - Kobe, JAPAN - APR 12, 2012
Bottle. Aroma: Smoky peat, whiskey-like but without the alcohol burn, bandaids, woody earth. Palate: Smooth, almost weightless mouth feel that is almost ethereal. Flavor: Brief note of honey quickly swamped by a tsunami of smoky peat. Finishes with grilled flavors and notes of barbeque. Comments: As if the Red Rackham, which I loved, wasnít wacky enough, this one takes the cake. But, donít be afraid; just approach with care. Though just about everyone says itís too over-the-top, I like that it has the character of whiskey without the weight or alcohol burn. Also, the palate is brilliant. This could blend very nicely with a stout; or, after an evening of tasting a lot of imperial stouts, this would make a good night cap. As is, itís an acquired taste. I would try it again though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
omega (721) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 7, 2012
I think this beer has calmed down a little since my last taste. For Islay drinkers only this beer is a love hate which is why I think this beer scores so poorly. Last time I had this beer I fished the empty bottle out of the bin so I could sniff the malty goodness. I probably have scored this beer higher overall because I like that I like it when so many people hate it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
walkingstd (20) - - MAR 13, 2012
Amazing aroma. Smoked peat, charcoal nose. Ruined the taste buds on my tongue. I couldn't drink more than half a bottle. Unpleasant taste left in mouth and stings the nose! Interesting concept, but what's the point if you can't enjoy your drink? ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
sunevdj (3271) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - FEB 23, 2012
Bottle at Te Anau. Pours a clear golden with a white head. Smells of peated whisky. Mellow sweet- and dryness. Aromas of peated malts and some leather. Medium bodied. Medium to soft carbonation. Dry leathery finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Grant1 (2) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 5, 2012 does not count
Unique, exactly has everyone has said - the smoke and iodine of a fabulous single malt from Islay. A real pleasure to find something different.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OJB (39) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 31, 2011
The colour was medium amber gold, and there was medium carbonation and a light creamy head. The aroma had very strong peaty smoky wood, and light malt crispness. The flavour had light citrus and hop flavours and a very intense smoky charcoal woody finish. This was a very unusual style totally dominated by smoky wood like some styles of malt whisky I have tried (Laphroaig), not sure if I totally like it but unusual and interesting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
inceptioj (50) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 28, 2011
Unlike any other beer Iíve tried and not at all what I expected. The nose is quite awful really but I donít think itís meant to be sniffed. Upon drinking I was greeted with a mouthful of smokey dirt. It reminded me of the burnt bits left in the pan after roasting a chicken. If you havenít experienced peat before this probably isnít a good start as itís quite unforgiving. If youíre a fan of peat then youíll love this beer. Itís ironically quite light in colour.