overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 115   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
omega (681) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 7, 2012
I think this beer has calmed down a little since my last taste. For Islay drinkers only this beer is a love hate which is why I think this beer scores so poorly. Last time I had this beer I fished the empty bottle out of the bin so I could sniff the malty goodness. I probably have scored this beer higher overall because I like that I like it when so many people hate it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Theis (13293) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 20, 2012
Bottle at Den Tatoverede Enke. Clear golden/amber - offwhite head. 100% peated malts. Fruity. Smokey. High smokey. Ok malty sweetness. Grassy. Iod. Nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jonno (2275) - JAPAN - JUN 17, 2011
Love it. Exactly what I imagine a beer to taste like if it wore peated malt clothing. Lots of medicinal, peat notes in the nose and on the palate and a little smoked ham/fish. It is very easy drinking for such an experiment. A real kick in the chops after the inoculous pale straw pour. Would I buy another bottle? Probably not, but for what it is, we may have a new style. Peat pale ale? Smoky blonde? Good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRealMGD (551) - Lakewood, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2011
Bottle at Galbraith’s. Hazy, gold pour with a short white head. Peaty, medicinal nose - I knew I was in trouble shortly after the bartender opened the bottle. Even at arm’s length the aroma of this beer is remarkable. Medium-light body with lively carbonation. Peat, smoked peat, dark-roasted peat. Grilled peat. And more peat. And smoke. FFS, is this even beer? Or is it tonic and Laphroaig? This is vile, evil stuff. I love it. Conforms to no beer standard I’m aware of and not recommended if you want to taste anything else in the current session. Or possibly ever. Not exactly sessionable, but very enjoyable if you pace yourself.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kiwi_daz (44) - NEW ZEALAND - NOV 27, 2011
i was really blown away with this beer, I am a lover of Laphroaig and this was like having a fizzy version. It went down really well with the vegetable curry I had. Good to see brewers taking risks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
yespr (30766) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - SEP 18, 2012
33 cl bottle, thanks to Ungstrup. Pours hazy yellow with a huge white head. Aroma is tarish, smoked ham and bacon. Ham, tarish and smoked. Dry and dense smoked. Wooden and bacon to ham smoked finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cory (295) - , California, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Bottle. Super smokey all the way through. There’s some smoked meat in the aroma and sour taste but it’s just dominated by the peat characteristics. Surprisingly short finish too. I didn’t enjoy it but they set out to create a unique beer and succeeded, hence the high score. If smoke is your type, then this is your beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ALLOVATE (2356) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAR 17, 2013
I hoped they were referring to Frenchcore because this beer is just as extreme. At just on cool and into a snifter it pours with little enthusiasm. Settles a cloudy pastel orange with a wafer of suds atop. Aroma is heavy, heady and a tribute to Islay single malts - if that was their aim! So, so peaty and smoky hinting at smoked salmon and brine, bacon bits (the ones you sprinkle on a caesar salad), cigarette ash, sheep’s wool fresh shawn, overused chicken coops and charred oak. Assertive though by no means aggressive amount of smoked peat in the mouth. Fills every nook and cranny with an ashen burst of peat and heather, smoked pork and bonfire remains. Quite light in body and softly carbonated allowing it to rest upon the tongue well passed its bedtime. A clean crush of citrus cleanses keeping it grounded. I swear I have just smoked a treetrunk and feel light headed from it. This is something different altogether and like most rauchbiers has me hooked and wanting more. For something so pale to have so much fire is amazing. This is a tribute to great modern brewing. Lovely!!! (33cL, no date stamp, Cellarbrations Carlisle)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
suprchunk (2103) - Crestview, Florida, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Golden color. Small white. Little lacing. Smoky aroma. Very smoky. Smoky taste. Very peaty. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kiwianer (3319) - Otorohanga, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 16, 2013
The head is ok, the body gold-orange. It smells smoky-crazy, hoppy-aromatic, malty. The taste is smoky-very smoky, smoked fish, wood-bacon, alcoholic-creamy. Strange, strong and amazing! 3.8