overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 108   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
bluebetty (1019) - AUSTRALIA - AUG 15, 2011
Bottle. Pours a light golden and smallish white coloured head. Aromas are dominated by smoke but no where near as much as I anticipated. More medicinal than the smoking bacon I usually get with beers of this type. Flavour wise I dont get a lot. A little smoke comes through and there is a little light caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is relatively thin. Other than that not much else. No where near as over the top as I expected.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
obguthr (3437) - Lynchburg, Virginia, USA - JAN 20, 2013
Holiest of holy crap what is this?!?!? To say this beer smells of chloraseptic would be an enormous understatement. I popped the cap and the smell filled the room, and the next room as well. After letting it sit for awhile, I was able to also identify heavily peated malt. It may just be safe to drink after all. I’d give it a try anyway as it is my adventurous nature. Cloudy amber, thick sticky head. Extremely ashy and peaty flavor, intense, within a lemony orange base. Clean, but in a clincally too clean way.. In a strange way, I kind of admire the boldness. Then again, it’s very gimmicky. I can see myself a few years from now craving this beer. For now, I think I’m good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ratman197 (9034) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - MAR 24, 2013
Bottle poured a clear gold with a lasting creamy white head. Aromasof peat smoke, bread and a hint of citrus. Palate was medium bodied and smooth. Flavors of peat smoke, bread and a hint of fruittiness with a smooth lingering peat smoke finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
TimE (2977) - Tokyo, JAPAN - OCT 31, 2011
massive amount of peat an smoke from beginning to end. Unfortunately, as is common peat and light color ales dont mix well and this beer is no exception. Hardly detect the hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
AndreasJaeger (505) - Malmö, SWEDEN - FEB 21, 2013
Oklar och grumligt gyllene i färgen med stort vitt skum. Doftar rökt malt, bränt gummi, bränt trä, gräs, hö och whisky. Smakar rökt malt, gummi, bränt trä, gräs, syra från malten, jag gillar rökt men denna är lite udda.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
rbrazell (1452) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 20, 2013
Bottle from Proof. Hazy amber pour with a small white head. Heavy peaty smoke aroma with mild astringency. A bit a malt sweetness on the tip of the tongue fading into a lot a peaty smoke with no real finish. Too much and not well put together.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrChopin (2927) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 27, 2013
hazy gold, thin white ring. Smokey stable nose, earthy an overpowering. Smokey flavor up front, burnt chemical notes in the end. Very thin, amazing that it supports the flavor, but the finish is a mess.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mgbridges (15) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 13, 2011
I’m conflicted as I write this. The score that comes out says that this is a bad beer. That’s not true. It is a brave and exciting beer. It is a beer that I’m glad was made. I tasted the homebrew precursor and was impressed by it. I like the Yeastie Boys and all that they do. But I could not drink this beer. I had a small glass at the Malthouse and left half of it. Germolene. That’s the lasting impression. That’s what it smells like, that’s what it tastes like. I couldn’t detect anything else. My senses were entirely destroyed. Others have liked it, and I’m glad they do. I’m glad this beer was made. I’m just glad I don’t have to drink any more. Sorry guys.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
halfbaked (47) - - FEB 16, 2013
Don’t know how to rate this. It’s disgusting...but it isn’t badly made. The colour is much lighter than the dark, smokey flavour would suggest. The overpowering flavour of Islay overrides all else. I just don’t want my beer to taste like this.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jtclockwork (7110) - , New Jersey, USA - JAN 8, 2013
Bottle. Beer basically drainpoured itself when it shot out of the glass. Nose is almost purely smoke and medicine. Taste is medicinal with heavy smoked malt, yeast and light lemon. Light bodied.