overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 117   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

OJB's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OJB (39) - Dunedin, - DEC 31, 2011
The colour was medium amber gold, and there was medium carbonation and a light creamy head. The aroma had very strong peaty smoky wood, and light malt crispness. The flavour had light citrus and hop flavours and a very intense smoky charcoal woody finish. This was a very unusual style totally dominated by smoky wood like some styles of malt whisky I have tried (Laphroaig), not sure if I totally like it but unusual and interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hank37 (76) - banksia grove, AUSTRALIA - OCT 19, 2014
bottle from copper and oak. Let’s not get it twisted - this beer is a curiosity, and that’s it. Don’t get me wrong - it’s interesting and unique, but i’d never buy another. pours a pale,piss-weak yellow. Smoky aromas, the one you’d get at the end of a bushfire, and a smoked salmon whiff. Solventy - but not in the way alcohol is traditionally...think...textas.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RafeAU (158) - Kingston, AUSTRALIA - AUG 16, 2014
STOP - you need to plan when you’ll have this. This is a PEATY beer - think Islay whisky: Laphroaig, Ardbeg etc. Smokey peat is the overwhelming flavour. Ideally you can give ~20 people a small taste from one bottle. You’ll die if you drink a whole bottle yourself. I wouldn’t drink more than ~50 ml of this beer but I appreciate it for being a remarkable beer that shows the limits of what beer brewing can achieve.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Blairgus (2647) - California, USA - JUL 28, 2014
28 July 2014, bottle. sickly mild yellow, faintly cloudy with some sediment or malt bits in the bottom. nose is huge peat and smoked sausage. like huge peat! not a great thing. med body and moderately fizzy. whole wheat bread, really big peat, smoked sausage. it tastes a bit more moderate than it smells but the peat is still huge. The more i drink the more the alcohol helps temper the initial big peat hit. This is the kind of beer i could drink occasionally but not regularly. It’s not too heavy but the peat really makes it a beer you need to choose the occasion for.

1.2
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Hobartian (2) - AUSTRALIA - JUL 22, 2014 does not count
The peaty aroma is interesting and confuses the senses. But then the taste is just wrong. I remember tasting a brand new distilled whisky before going to oak and it was pretty offensive - but this is far far worse. By far the worst alcoholic beverage I’ve ever tried. Quite an achievement.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Scopey (7079) - Croydon, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 4, 2014
Bottle at Taps Beer Bar, KL. It pours clear amber with a small white head. The nose is heady, rich, peaty, earth, medicinal, mild acidity and big smoky laphroaig action. The taste is bitter, medicinal, earthy, smoked peat, toast, grain and dough with a dry, bitter finish. Medium body and fine, prickly carbonation carbonation. As a fan of pleated whisky the nose blew me away, taste wasn’t bad either. Very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
NBird (389) - Perth, West Australia, AUSTRALIA - MAY 25, 2014
Looks. Hazy golden, sml head Smells. heavy smoke and roast, not much hops - just a little golden ale malts Tastes. Smokey character and and golden ale malts work welll together. Not usually a big fan of heavy peated, the barman told me it was an IPA ha! With smoked meat.. This be vgood.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jmgreenuk (4625) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - MAY 24, 2014
Bottle at Taps, Kuala Lumpur. Poured a crystal clear light amber with a thin broken white head. The aroma is peaty malt citrus honey. The flavour is strong bitter with a huge peat smoke malt medicinal band aid, light alcoholic palate and a medium dry malt bitter finish. The first mouthful almost knocked me off my bar stool but over time it grew on me. It’s rather like durian fruit. If you spit out the first mouthful you will never eat it again. This beer is quite unique and a real bold attempt to do something different.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ellery (26) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 24, 2014
This its like drinking laphroaig whisky in a beer! And on steroids! Massive amount of smoke and malt, not for the faint hearted!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
northropfrye (2248) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAY 23, 2014
I’ve tried almost 2000 beers, so it’s very rare that I come across one I’d describe as unlike anything I’ve ever had, but this one definitely meets that description. Once again the variety of beer never ceases to amaze me. Just when you think you’ve tried every flavour combination a new one arises. This is an experimental beer, for sure, but, for the most part, it works. Pale yellow body, not a lot of head. Immediately I was struck by a smoky peat moss aroma. I’m not a scotch drinker really, but it did remind me of the smokier whisky I tried in Scotland last summer. It’s smoky in a different way than a typical rauchbier and I don’t quite have the vocabulary to describe it, other than to say it’s uniquely smoky. I like it. The taste is initially sweet, but soon that strange smoke comes in....like a scotch without any trace of booze. Strange but not unpleasant. The palate was a touch soft, but overall this is definitely worth trying. It works.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
bigbeerlover (14) - North Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - APR 18, 2014
By far the worst beer I’ve ever tried to drink. It simply made me angry. 3 sips then down the drain.