overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 65   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42/5   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A celebratory beer by Yeastie Boys. They said it couldnít be done, that it would be undrinkable and, to be fair, many of them still do... But we like to do our own thing. This one-off batch of imperial-strength Rex Attitude is a self-indulgent celebration of being awarded the Morton Coutts Trophy for Innovation at BrewNZ 2011. Dedicated to all the peat freaks who have let us know how much they enjoy Rex: your love helps us through the hate - thank you.

gnat2006 (12) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 2, 2012
I cannot sit on the fence with this beer. The aroma is a strong pungent skunk and the taste is pure peat smoke; it is liquid that paradoxically it not wet and seems to evaporate before it hits the palate ensuring a dry smoking aftertaste. For me it is right on the boundary of love and hate and covers the entire spectrum of emotions - I love the smoothness, but hate that I can only drink a small mouthful at a time; I love the aftertaste, but hate that it lingered far too long and turned almost rotten; I love the smokiness, but hate that I probably now have terminal lung cancer. I have a huge conflict now with this beer - do I buy as many as I can and give them to my friends, or do I buy as many as I can and pour them down the drain so they never have to experience it? I rate this 5.0 because I cannot rate it 0.0. As I say, I canít sit on the fence with this beer.

jacobpedersen (7) - DENMARK - OCT 19, 2012 does not count
Unlike itís little brother "Rex attitude", xeRRex is just a masterpiece! It is beers equivalent of smokey Islay Whiskeys like Laphroiag! As it says on the label; "... But we like to do our own thing!" - Granted! NOSE: Whiskey, and a subtle smokey-caramel TASTE: Smokey, tobacco, demerara sugar, and of course whiskey Conclusion: I have to give this beer the highest rating. I havenít had other beers like this ever. WOW!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidm (2057) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - MAR 11, 2012
Bottle 330ml at Dispensary Enoteca. Delicious, big flavours after the smoke. Aromas of smoke, caramel, honey, and hay. Taste is sweet, with sour and bitter notes, and long length. Palate is creamy, and full bodied. Dark yellow, with a frothy head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
gooutdrinking (2) - - MAY 15, 2016 does not count
让我惊讶的啤&#

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Grant1 (2) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 5, 2012 does not count
Fabulous - over the top. If you like single malts from Islay, you will enjoy this. If you donít then it will not make a lot of sense to you. Both Rex Attitude, and this beer are truly innovative. Makes complete sense when they are made from peated distilling malts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Maris (1341) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - DEC 5, 2015
From a 330ml bottle on 5/12/2015. Pours a murky dark golden with not much of a head. The nose is full on peat, with a smoky, bacony vibe. Thereís masses of peat and smoke in the flavour, but thereís also a lovely fruity sweetness in there which complements the smoky intensity, with a mild but sticky bitterness. The texture is slick and the carbonation is very soft. This is a lovely, crazy, peaty beer. Reminds me of Hopdogís sublime 2013 Super Beast, which is very high praise.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dantheman278 (1361) - SCOTLAND - JUL 10, 2012
Bottle at Denisí. Pale yellowy amber, thin white head. Amazing but incredibly intense smokey nose - intense peat, Laphroaig phenols, ashtray, campfire, wet wool, horse blanket, slightest lemony hops. Soft malt front, a big surprise! Juicy hops also. Prominent smoke, but itís tempered by big warm malt flavours. Woodsmoke returns on the finish, with juicy hops finally appearing. Soft fruity smoky linger. A total paradox, really fascinating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lisagirl (264) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 25, 2013
pretty phenomenal, was a bit worried about this going in as i donít like whiskey but it turned out to be a fantastic smoked beer, predominantly smoked cheese. very tasty and surprisingly easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
subcombicio (167) - Marghera, ITALY - AUG 11, 2013
Buonissima produzione neozelandese, dove i sentori di wisky sono ben presenti e la nota torbata la fa da padrone. Buon equilibrio.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Stuu666 (9799) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 15, 2015
Keg at spitfire. Pours clear amber, nose is smoked, peat, fruity, taste is dry, smoky, juicy, sweet, tasty.