overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 48   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A celebratory beer by Yeastie Boys. They said it couldnít be done, that it would be undrinkable and, to be fair, many of them still do... But we like to do our own thing. This one-off batch of imperial-strength Rex Attitude is a self-indulgent celebration of being awarded the Morton Coutts Trophy for Innovation at BrewNZ 2011. Dedicated to all the peat freaks who have let us know how much they enjoy Rex: your love helps us through the hate - thank you.

gnat2006 (12) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 2, 2012
I cannot sit on the fence with this beer. The aroma is a strong pungent skunk and the taste is pure peat smoke; it is liquid that paradoxically it not wet and seems to evaporate before it hits the palate ensuring a dry smoking aftertaste. For me it is right on the boundary of love and hate and covers the entire spectrum of emotions - I love the smoothness, but hate that I can only drink a small mouthful at a time; I love the aftertaste, but hate that it lingered far too long and turned almost rotten; I love the smokiness, but hate that I probably now have terminal lung cancer. I have a huge conflict now with this beer - do I buy as many as I can and give them to my friends, or do I buy as many as I can and pour them down the drain so they never have to experience it? I rate this 5.0 because I cannot rate it 0.0. As I say, I canít sit on the fence with this beer.

jacobpedersen (7) - DENMARK - OCT 19, 2012 does not count
Unlike itís little brother "Rex attitude", xeRRex is just a masterpiece! It is beers equivalent of smokey Islay Whiskeys like Laphroiag! As it says on the label; "... But we like to do our own thing!" - Granted! NOSE: Whiskey, and a subtle smokey-caramel TASTE: Smokey, tobacco, demerara sugar, and of course whiskey Conclusion: I have to give this beer the highest rating. I havenít had other beers like this ever. WOW!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidm (1928) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - MAR 11, 2012
Bottle 330ml at Dispensary Enoteca. Delicious, big flavours after the smoke. Aromas of smoke, caramel, honey, and hay. Taste is sweet, with sour and bitter notes, and long length. Palate is creamy, and full bodied. Dark yellow, with a frothy head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Grant1 (2) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 5, 2012 does not count
Fabulous - over the top. If you like single malts from Islay, you will enjoy this. If you donít then it will not make a lot of sense to you. Both Rex Attitude, and this beer are truly innovative. Makes complete sense when they are made from peated distilling malts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dantheman278 (1361) - SCOTLAND - JUL 10, 2012
Bottle at Denisí. Pale yellowy amber, thin white head. Amazing but incredibly intense smokey nose - intense peat, Laphroaig phenols, ashtray, campfire, wet wool, horse blanket, slightest lemony hops. Soft malt front, a big surprise! Juicy hops also. Prominent smoke, but itís tempered by big warm malt flavours. Woodsmoke returns on the finish, with juicy hops finally appearing. Soft fruity smoky linger. A total paradox, really fascinating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lisagirl (262) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 25, 2013
pretty phenomenal, was a bit worried about this going in as i donít like whiskey but it turned out to be a fantastic smoked beer, predominantly smoked cheese. very tasty and surprisingly easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
subcombicio (163) - Marghera, ITALY - AUG 11, 2013
Buonissima produzione neozelandese, dove i sentori di wisky sono ben presenti e la nota torbata la fa da padrone. Buon equilibrio.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grapengrain (125) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 12, 2011
While I really dislike this beer I canít help but acknowledge how good it is - well made, balanced and powerful. For me the saline and iodine notes are overwhelming but it has a lovely rich malt body and clean crisp bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
omega (684) - NEW ZEALAND - DEC 9, 2011
UPDATED: APR 7, 2012 Personally I think this is more approachable than Rex Attitude. Yes it is the amped up version especially in the nose, but I find it to be more softer and generous in the palate. May have to do Rex Attitude tomorrow for perspective - life is hard! For Islay whisky lovers. Re-rate: Rex Attitude is the better beer for sheer audacity - it beats you into submission. Xerrex is the beer you drink as it is more approachable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
vanvenlo (1225) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - MAY 24, 2012
Bar None - 24-May-12 - Big peat herbal smoke aroma. Clear amber colour, good head and suds lacing. Lovely herbal spirit throat warming and complex forest wood flavours. Nice thick mouthfeel, long peat smoked herbal finish and big complex herbal smoked.