overall
Brewed by Wells & Youngs
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3449   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young's award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 11, 2004
Had it out of the can. Wow, very dark and thick. Probably the most chocolate flavor I have had in any stout. I very much enjoyed it, but as I got farther into the beer it almost became too rich. Definitly would go great as a dessert beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JFGrind (1860) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 10, 2004
Bottled version, 5.2% Alcohol. The chocoalte flavor rounds out this stout. Roasted malts are also evident. Enjoyable beer, good for a causal glass now and again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - APR 5, 2004
I've been waiting for this package from my sister so I could rate this as my #300! A dark motor oil colored beer with a huge rocky brown head. Roasted barley, coffee and chocolate in the nose. Not the candied flavor I thought it might have but a mild cocoa taste, the roasted flavors take center stage with the chocolate and smoke playing supporting roles. A nice hop bite keeps this from being too sweet. A nice mixture of flavors, good balance but a bit thin bodied. One I will try again and again! Thanks Sis!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - APR 4, 2004
What a treat! This is a fantastic beer. I am always excited when I pick up a bottle of this inspiring brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - APR 4, 2004
Has a very dark bown color with some carbonaton and a thick off-white head. Smell is sweet malt/chocolates. Taste is creamy/sweet malts/chocolate with a very smooth finish. Overall a great stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Beer Snob (501) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 1, 2004
I was ready to fall in love with this one. Unfortunately, it's too rich, like drinking a dessert. The first few sips were fascinating, but ultimately, it was difficult finishing a bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
KCKajr (15) - Kansas City, Kansas, USA - MAR 30, 2004
UPDATED: APR 9, 2004 Widget can. Pours black, with a medium sized foamy head. Smells like....hmmm, trying to put my finger on it....I can't quite get a grasp on this aroma. The mouthfeel is as creamy as it gets. Tastes like...man there it is again...I just can't pin this one down...perhaps a subtle undertone of....chocolate??? I'm kidding of course. This is sweet delicious chocolate, in it's best form (alcoholic form). Beer like this will motivate kids to go to college so they can afford it later in life. The nectar of the gods.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DarthJames (10) - Redmond, Washington, USA - MAR 28, 2004
Extremely dark fizzy drink with almost no head. Strong chcocolate after taste. Try one as an after-dinner drink w/ dessert

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
enchantingdb (7) - Newport, WALES - MAR 27, 2004 does not count
Widget can. A rich chocolate tasting beer best drunk not too cold. Not too sweet it leaves a long lasting pleasant after-taste. Note: The can version is 5.2%abv.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beaver (1342) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2004
The Double Chocolate Stout pours an opaque midnight black with a fizzy brown head that quickly dissipated to a collar and completely disappeared before I finished.

The aroma is kind of yeasty initially settling into malts and a big sweet dark chocolate smell with some vanilla notes.

It has a smooth creamy mouthfeel. The taste is dominated by chocolate. There is a slight metallic bitterness, but the sweetness definitely overwhelms it. A little too out of whack on the sweet side...I would have preferred a little more hops for better balance.

Overall, I think this would make a terrific dessert drink. It's probably not something I'd drink a lot of or frequently though.