overall
Brewed by Charles Wells
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3517   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007. Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
uhorpheus (215) - houston, Texas, USA - NOV 14, 2002
For a can with a widget, great stuff. Very full-bodied, rich and robust, great creaminess.

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 13, 2002
I can’t believe i haven’t rated this already! I took it to a pot-luck last night as part of the beer sampling that i hosted before the dinner. A perfect dessert beer. Silky sweet chocolate with roasted stout flavors. While not exceedingly complex its a wonderful guilty pleasure for after dinner.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (3203) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 12, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2010 A wonderfully strong choclate aroma. A friend standing across the kitchen as I poured the glass remarked on how good this smelled from across the room. Along with a beautiful tan head, the nitro-can adds a very slight odd sort of sourness. It is a metric tad more watery than the bottle. Still, a very good beer with strong chocolate flavors and a hint of coffe-like bitterness in the finish. I ate a powdered donut along side of this and it was perfect. I was almost tempted to dunk it in the beer. OK, so I actually did dunk it in the beer (tasted pretty good, too). I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway.

Now that the ratings for the nitro can are merged with the others in the database, I feel it necessary to point out that the regular bottled version is more flavorful and smoother without the odd note from the nitro.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DankbrewedDank (162) - East Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 9, 2002
Ahh, a nice chocolaty brew... This had nice carbonation and is very drinkable. Nice aftertaste!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - NOV 8, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2004 All I can say is, wow...I definitely get why this is considered a dessert beer. Rich, smooth, creamy head, nice rich dark brown color, dominantly malty and incredibly smooth...A good chocolate aftertaste, not overpowering, just enough to satisfy the taste buds. However, it loses some points because I've had great, and I've had just ok batches of it. If it wasn't for the price, I'd go out and buy myself a case...an upper echelon stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Oakes (13136) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2004 Extremely dark brown. Moderately brown head of 1cm. Aroma of chocolate, almonds, light coffee. Very artificial chocolate sweetness like Nestle Quik chases away bitter roast barley notes. Cloying finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheTsunami (162) - Arizona, USA - NOV 1, 2002
A good beer from the bottle. A great beer from the tower. Black in appearance until held up to light. Sweet, rich aroma. Nice head particularly from the tower. Wonderful chocolate finish. A great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Mmmmm, Chocolate. My first reaction; Chocolate syrup. And that’s a good thing! Smells great as well. Appearance is great, almost opaque in a glass with a dense head. Reminds me of chocolate milk (duh!). At times the alcohol/milk chocolate/carbonation taste does become akward.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brew4Dug (139) - Houston, Texas, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Hand down the most original/uniquely brewed stout you can get your hands on. Magically delicious and a wonderful breakfast or dessert.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - OCT 29, 2002
Have loved Youngs for years and years; surprised that I’m only getting to the bottled version of this now. Anyway, super-creamy medium-lasting brown-sugar head sits atop an opaque medium black body; nose is espresso chocolate, nice but not terribly strong. Flavor is somewhat wine-like, strong tannic wine-like, and the chocolate is certainly there but its not as sweet as I remember it, more bittersweet and pungent with strong roasted grain notes and bitter nuttiness. Fairly robust and bitter on the end. Good, though not as good as I remember from several months ago; my how fast we become picky and snobbish!